Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some great running way back in the hills yesterday with 17 of my hounds. Hounds were running to catch. I bumped them off one 3/4 grown rabbit to save its life, and several others were put in holes. Good morning. Thought someone might enjoy listening.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm going to ask a question and it is just for what do you think. It is not to be condemning of your dogs or anything of the sort. I enjoyed the video. As a novice rabbit hunter and you knowing something about any of the subjects brought up on this site. If a person has 5 or 6 dogs that are running the track. Then the other 8 or 10 dogs are off the track 3, 5, or 10 feet. Can the dogs off the track smell the rabbit and are running it or are they barking with the other dog wait for the rabbit to turn right or left. I dont keep many dogs and know nothing about large pack. I am just wondering your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you notice early in the video there is a glimpse of the hounds coming up toward the camera. As soon as they overshoot the point where the rabbit turned (to their right), they all stop barking. Then one of them quickly picks it up and they all fall in and start up again. If mine aren't getting scent, they shut up right away. I don't like hounds that have extra mouth. Hope that answers your question, TaterNort. Thanks

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Good video. That pack of hounds kept the rabbit moving and the few times I could see the pack most of the hounds were staying close and in control. In running a large pack like that you would expect a few dogs to not be able to stay with the majority. However I will say that most of the hounds I saw up front were top notch, line control hounds. It was a pack of dogs that made it hard to tell one from the other by looking at their color scheme. They appear to be selectively picked and trained. I would be happy to own them, well not that many, I can't afford the dog feed. But I didn't notice anything I wouldn't want to feed. Huntsman, my hat is off to you. I am sure you may have mentioned the line you built your pack around but I can't remember. Not unusual for me these days, I have joined the CRS club, however, if you don't mind, could you tell me the bloodlines.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good video. That pack of hounds kept the rabbit moving and the few times I could see the pack most of the hounds were staying close and in control. In running a large pack like that you would expect a few dogs to not be able to stay with the majority. However I will say that most of the hounds I saw up front were top notch, line control hounds. It was a pack of dogs that made it hard to tell one from the other by looking at their color scheme. They appear to be selectively picked and trained. I would be happy to own them, well not that many, I can't afford the dog feed. But I didn't notice anything I wouldn't want to feed. Huntsman, my hat is off to you. I am sure you may have mentioned the line you built your pack around but I can't remember. Not unusual for me these days, I have joined the CRS club, however, if you don't mind, could you tell me the bloodlines.
Thank you, Mr. Dunn. I appreciate your comments, and those from other folks earlier. Yes, dog food does make it an expensive hobby, especially considering that I left several hounds home that day due to being in season, with little puppies, or retired because of old age. I created my own strain starting 40 years ago with Little Ireland, later crossed with FC. Indian Hills Majer, FC. New City Cruiser, FC. Northway Spur/Ninja, FC. Rabbit Ridge New York Nick, Osborne's Spade, and others, with a lot of Echo Run, Showfield, and Daragoj show lines. Goal was to produce a handy, driving hound with enough control to maintain the line and to pressure (endanger) the rabbit, packaged with conformation to allow many years of service. Black and tan eventually became the family color. Having them all the same color does make it harder to tell who is doing what, especially at a distance, but I select for that color so they appear as a family, which they are. They are as intelligent, biddable, and deer-resistant as any you will find. (Forgive my bragging). I enjoy them. Thanks again for your kind words.

Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
785 Posts
Huntsman that was an awesome video! Great camera work for that driving pack! One of these days I need to make it out and see the Woodpont pack for myself! I'm sure it's even cooler in person.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I applaud your ability to stick to your mission until you get the results you want. Too many window shop around trying to reach that goal. Shopping into new blood doesn't give you enough info to know what may or may not work. Breeding your own line, provided you know what you want, usually works best but certainly not over night. Patience, patience, patience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
THAT WAS SOME AWESOME CAMERA WORK, VERY CLEAR AND STEADY. THAT ALSO WAS A GREAT PACK OF HOUNDS. I AM A RABBIT HUNTER, SO I ALWAYS TELL MY
TRIAL BUDDIES THAT IF I HAVE 10 HOUNDS ON THE GROUND I WANT THEM TO BE 10 WIDE WHEN THEY PASS ME. YOU CAN BET THAT 1 HAS THE TRACK.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha! Thanks Gamebrook. I don’t know about 10 wide, but a pack with some drive to it should “carry a good head”, meaning they should be bunched with two, three, four at the front ready to take the lead if there is a bobble. This type of pack will pressure their game more than a pack where the individuals run in a line single file with each hound content to hold its spot in line. Run to catch vs run to follow.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I will add, last winter I went hunting with three buddies, and we all brought our best hounds. I threw down a couple in an 11 hound pack, about half of the pack were field champions (UBGF). I will say, they were all quality hounds that anybody could take out 1-3 of them out with and kill rabbits until your gamebag was full. I would have been happy to feed any one of them... but they were not conditioned to run in an 11-hound pack! Most of them were used to bracing and trios.

They would come running across the field on the track.... 1 wide and 11 long. Don't get me wrong, we had some nice runs. But it did make me question the purpose of the other 10 hounds when we were driving. Granted, the checks didn't last very long because you had 11 hounds looking for the check, but the straightaways were in a line. I wasn't a fan of that as it was happening. I believe that if these hounds were used to running in a moderately large pack like this, they may have run a little wider. Next time, if we are going to run this these hounds and bring all 11 along, it would serve us better to break them up into 2-3 packs and run them like they were used to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts