Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just came in from running the hounds. I turned loose on a cottontail about 6:30 pm and they had a hard time with him. They mostly ran in spurts then checks until they made a bad loss and I caught them up and moved them. I just rode to another lane and there was a big ole swamp rabbit sitting in the lane. A couple of Talley Ho's and it was on they made a medium hard check at the first lane crossing then they really got him stinking and man they were screaming at that rabbit. It was running a different pattern than they usually do. I couldn't believe how hard they were after that big boy with only tight short checks on double backs. They were circleing for the third time and he decided to show them some new territory. He lined out with a huge circle and that is just what the hounds wanted. You talk about singing a song as they headed for the south line. It was a solid roar. I told my wife I was going on to the south line and for her to stay where she was in case they turned back. I hadn't been there long and here came that big swamper heading for the creek bottom. I hollared for my wife to come around and when she got there they were just crossing the lane. She doesn't usually make any comments but she even remarked at how they were roaring from where she was sitting. They hit the creek bottom and the sound really amplified. They made about a half circle and then there was dead silence. It was almost 10:00pm and we had a good race so I called them in and came to the house satified with their efforts and a pretty decent race.
I hope you all have as much fun running your hounds as I am.

Roger

·
Registered
646 Posts
Your a blessed man to have had such a wonderful race and have shared it with your wife. I wish I could get my wife to run dogs with me .:D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your a blessed man to have had such a wonderful race and have shared it with your wife. I wish I could get my wife to run dogs with me .:D

Robert you're right and it is a special blessing to share a life with your best friend. She has always been good about hunting and fishing with me or just about any type of sport as I used to rodeo as well.

I will share this little story with you though. When we were first married 36 years ago I was heavy into fox hunting and racoon hunting. I found a dog I wanted so I bought it. When she saw it in the pen she fussed at me pretty bad about buying it. The next day I went and bought another dog and put it in the pen. Man she raised the roof over that dog. She said that's just what we need another dang dog and was I crazy. The next day I bought another dog and put it in the pen and to this day she has never said anything about me buying a dog. Well not much. lol Last night I said something about selling Daisy because she wasn't coming when I called her and she didn't want me to do that. She likes them better than me.

Roger

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like you had a good night running my week is booked full so looks like no running for me until the weekend.

·
Banned
469 Posts
I took mine out Sunday evening and had almost the same experiance as you did RKW.Turned them loose and they jumped up a cottontail in about 10 min.They just never really could get on him good run a little break down.I moved them to another spot and they got on a big old swamper and man did they run his butt off.My dad was about 300 yards away burning a brushpile and he drove down to the woodline to listen with me they were really burning him up.After dad left I was sitting there listening to them and heard something to my right I looked up and that swamper was coming right at me he got about 8 feet from me before he saw me.I was a little ways out in the field and he ran a line down the field about 50 yards before cutting back into the woods so I got to really watch the dogs work the line when they came out into the field they did a good job.I let them run until dark then picked them up and went on home it sure was fun.I wish I could get my wife to go with me she used to go with me back when we were dating,but hasn't been out hunting or running dogs with me in a couple of years.I sure do wish I could figure out how to get her interested in going again.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took mine out Sunday evening and had almost the same experiance as you did RKW.Turned them loose and they jumped up a cottontail in about 10 min.They just never really could get on him good run a little break down.I moved them to another spot and they got on a big old swamper and man did they run his butt off.My dad was about 300 yards away burning a brushpile and he drove down to the woodline to listen with me they were really burning him up.After dad left I was sitting there listening to them and heard something to my right I looked up and that swamper was coming right at me he got about 8 feet from me before he saw me.I was a little ways out in the field and he ran a line down the field about 50 yards before cutting back into the woods so I got to really watch the dogs work the line when they came out into the field they did a good job.I let them run until dark then picked them up and went on home it sure was fun.I wish I could get my wife to go with me she used to go with me back when we were dating,but hasn't been out hunting or running dogs with me in a couple of years.I sure do wish I could figure out how to get her interested in going again.
Crofford sounds like you did have some fun too. I don't know how to tell you to get your wife interested again but if she liked hunting with you before she will probably get some interest in it again. I like having someone to hunt with and I'm glad she likes to go because everything is more fun when you can share it with your friends. Do you hunt from your 4 wheeler if so she might like riding with you. Just a thought.

Roger

·
Banned
469 Posts
No I don't have a four wheeler.I've got several places to run that are just cut lanes or logging roads between thickets.I usually just park the truck and turn the dogs loose then walk the lanes or roads while they are in the thickets hunting that way the dogs get their exercise and I get a little to.I spend most of my days driving in a truck from one gas well to the next.It's kinda nice to get out and scretch my legs a little.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I wish I had some cottontails around my house. All we got are feral cats. Few less than we had this time last week though.!:whistle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts