Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i am the breeder of a pup and i sell it and the new owner make a field champion out of it, in your oppion who should get the most credit, the breeder or the owner of the dog?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
equal... requires much more training then breeding. if several finish from a single litter then i would say breeder.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've heard it both ways. The man I bought my Male dog from said I need to Trial him where he could get a name from it. But like yall said if I train the dog from a pup and he does good in Trials I think the person that owns and has trained the dog needs the credit for the dog.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I can see it both ways. I mean it takes a good handler to train and prepare a dog right but it also takes a equal good breeder to have the insight to breed the right the two dogs together you just can't have one without the other. I guess the way i see it if someone wants all the credit for a dog then they would have to make the right cross and train them to. jmo

·
Registered
560 Posts
i can see it both ways...i mean if you take a high bred pup...and did not give it what it needed to be a great hound...you cant come back to the breeder and tell him he sold you a dud...right??...what if you take a poorly bred pup...and make a great hound out of it??...its all about the training...right???...so i see it like this...to get the awesome hound that we are all looking for...you have to start with great genetics of your style of hound...then give it all the opportunity and training you can...the rest has to take care of itself!!!...combination of great genetics...and great training!!!...JMO

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I sale a pup and the guy who buys the pup trains it and it champions or whatever, then I feel credit should be due as a breeder and he on training or whoever trained the hound, maybe he only should get credit for owning the hound,lol,...The only credit that counts for me is the credit of being an honest breeder, and what I sale is as said. I do not sale pups, I wait and start them and that gives me more control on what I put out there, and I am funny about who I sale to. I want the guy who is not going to buy a stated hound and just kennel all yr expecting gun season to have a1 hounds.

http://peytonbeagles.webs.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think the breeder should get credit for the breeding and trainer should credit for the train that way everybody gets the credit they deserve for what they did

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
My opinion is that both should get credit but I believe the person who trains and finishes a champion should get a little more credit. There are some breeders that buy several good bred females and scatter as many pups on the ground as possible. The person who trains and finishes a dog can't rely on luck just hard work and shoe leather.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could name a few field champions that were bred by a well know breeder and sold before they were FC. and someone else FC. them out, and these dogs gained popularity and their names have become know as bloodlines. But when people hear the names of these dogs, automatically the breeder comes to mind too, not the guy that made field champions out of them. So i think if your a little known breeder from Forgottenville you will never get the recognition of the more well know breeder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
credit

my personal opinion, a breeder should be trying to improve the breeding, or have enough interest in the cross before breeding, otherwise be responsible for what you are bringing into the world, most everybody has a cross they are confident in, and go in that direction, a cross that is proven in our area is the Jasper x sextons Patsy cross. but the most credit should go to the trainer who puts the work, sweat and tears in their hounds

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't know how your a breeder unless your a trainer also.
Breeding requires 3 things,...knowledge, selection and art.
The people who finish a number of your hounds only prove your doing it right.
All should be happy and obliged to each other...:thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think most of the credit should go to the breeder because trainers dont do much besides give the dog opportunity to go to the field. That doesnt require the trainer to do much. So most of the credit goes to the breeder because he is the one who gives the bloodlines to the pup and that determines how the dog will do in the field.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I tkink they both deserve the credit for the way the dog turned out. The breeder for the insight to make the cross, and the owner for the time in the field spent with the dog. It takes more than just exposure to make a truly great hound

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've seen great hounds come from breedings that were flukes and some that just come from breedings where people bred a stud to alot of gyps to sling pups.I'm sure there have been some very good breeders out there because you can read about the great crosses they made.Some times a good stud can be bred to just about anything and produce very good hounds.

The way i see it is this.If a person runs all over the U.S. promoting a hound and train him/her to be the best they can be and carry them to numerous hunts time and time again and they become one of the best (in the format they fit in) then i feel that that person should get the credit for making that hound what it is.The breeder just bred the dogs.Any breeding is a 50/50 shot.

I do see yalls point on the two but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If i am the breeder of a pup and i sell it and the new owner make a field champion out of it, in your oppion who should get the most credit, the breeder or the owner of the dog?
Saltzer,
Most people replied that equal credit is due. I will not argue with that but if that is the case answer this.
I am a breeder I sell a pup the new owner enters the pup in field trials at some point. The dog will not run a rabbit but takes off on every deer it smells. Who gets the " credit ? " is it still equal ? Is the Breeder responsible for the way the dog is running ?

Maybe in the case you mentioned the owner should get all the credit. He was wise enough to spot good breeding and spend the money. He also put in the time to bring the dog along and avoided all the pit holes that one can get caught up in. He also invested the time and money to trial the dog. The dog would be no more or no less of a dog if he never trialed him. Just some thoughts for conversation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
case study in race horse breeding showes about 35 % in genitics is inheritable. good and bad. That leaves 65% to training. A good breeder knows this and would be wise to see that as meny pups and youngdogs as possible get to the best trainers. Thats why you see alot of sucsessfull trailers that only run certian lines of dogs. they git them for free.

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
Good point ROSCO. Every trashy or sorry dog I ever had I gave all the credit to the breeder! LOL! Unless it was me of course. Then I just say that I didn't have the time to finish it properly. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts