Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Southern Indiana. Eastern cottontails are foragers and are at the bottom of the food chain unfortunately. Habitat, food, water, and mineral in the from of good old salt, will eventually yield you rabbits. Habitat, as mentioned previously from the beagles on this forum, is key. Any kind of briars, blackberry or Multi Flora Rose provides very good cover. Also, the Serecia Lespedeza is a must. It provides cover from above and slows the ground predators down. Also, when it’s vegetative, provides decent forage for rabbits as well. However, the Serecia and MF rose are very invasive. Don’t let it get away from you. Food plots are good if crop fields are not around you. Annuals, such as oats, wheat, cereal rye, radish, turnip, millet, or sorghum-sudangrass are cheaper in seed cost but must be re-seeded every year. My favorite is annual ryegrass. The nocturnal rabbits can be found in my annual ryegrass patches this time of year in good numbers. Perennials will reseed them selves if given the opportunity. Obviously, your clovers are key for rabbits. Medium red is good about everywhere. Ladino is a white clover and seems to do better on hills and more drought tolerant. Alsike is better in more wet and seepy soils. This is a great time of year to dormant or (frost) seed any clovers. As always pull a soil sample and have it analyzed for pH, Potassium, and Phosphorus. Without the proper nutrients and lime added, you could potentially be throwing your money away that you are spending on seed. Lastly, the mineral. I have found busting up white salt blocks seems to be the easiest way to accomplish this. I have tried the water softener salt cubes/pellets, but is cost prohibitive. Be certain to get the salt chunks into the briars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like to plant milo for quick cover that will stand up very well. Makes good travel lanes between long lasting heavy cover. If you leave it the second year, it will grow up in weeds and make great nesting area. They will also eat it. I've used bird seed that is mostly milo with good luck. In my neck of the the woods a lot of low areas have fragmites(common reed) it makes good cover for rabbits. I've transplanted some of those into my deer hunting area and they seem to be multiplying. Watch out it may be an invasive species in some states.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts