Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a red female beagle, few months shy of turning 2. She needs a lot of work hunting, but her biggest problem is when she's in the pen.. I need advice to get her under control. Not aggressive at all, but she's always trying to chew and pull through fence away to escape, not sure what to do other then a shock collar

· Registered
2,796 Posts
I haven’t chained a hound since the 70s, but my experience with chains is that eventually it will break and your hound will be loose. The snap, links or collar will wear over time until a break occurs - unless you watch it very very carefully. If it were me, I would just build a kennel with heavier wire that she cannot chew, or double one type of wire over the other. That has worked well for me.

· Registered
115 Posts
Break a limb off a tree when you see her doing that a break it over her a**. I break my dogs the old school way when it comes to kennel manners. Mine will bark under 2 conditions and I don't get on them. If it's feeding time or if they see I'm about to load them up to go run. If they bark anytime other than that I shout at them 1 time, if they keep it up then I grab the ole limb. The greener the better haha

· Administrator
6,774 Posts
I haven’t chained a hound since the 70s, but my experience with chains is that eventually it will break and your hound will be loose. The snap, links or collar will wear over time until a break occurs - unless you watch it very very carefully. If it were me, I would just build a kennel with heavier wire that she cannot chew, or double one type of wire over the other. That has worked well for me.
ALL OF MY DOGS GO THRU THE CHAIN BEING TIED OUT---LET THEM FIGHT THE CHAIN UNTIL THE LEARN TO YIELD TO IT----MAKES LEADING THEM A NATURAL THING FOR THEM----THEY GIVE TO THE PRESSURE JUST LIKE ON A CHAIN

· Registered
7,193 Posts
Just got a red female beagle, few months shy of turning 2. She needs a lot of work hunting, but her biggest problem is when she's in the pen.. I need advice to get her under control. Not aggressive at all, but she's always trying to chew and pull through fence away to escape, not sure what to do other then a shock collar

Start running her long and hard,
she wants to get out and run. If she is run, she will get tired and start to settle down in the kennel.
My 2-year-old Patch female is that way, chewing on the fence trying to get out of her kennel. I run her with another female for 2 hours up to 5 hours every other day. Her kennel manners have change tremendously. Calmed down and is much better. Run her, that's what she is wanting from you. Good luck. Just saying. JMHO

· Registered
2,796 Posts
ALL OF MY DOGS GO THRU THE CHAIN BEING TIED OUT---LET THEM FIGHT THE CHAIN UNTIL THE LEARN TO YIELD TO IT----MAKES LEADING THEM A NATURAL THING FOR THEM----THEY GIVE TO THE PRESSURE JUST LIKE ON A CHAIN
I understand what you are trying to do, but I think LONG TERM chaining is asking for trouble unless you pay a lot of attention to the chain, snap, collar, etc. It will wear and eventually break, then you have a hound running loose, maybe dragging part of a chain, maybe at a time when you are not home, etc. Better to use a stronger wire, or to double up the wire if chewing is a problem. I believe the hound would be more secure that way.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Start running her long and hard,
she wants to get out and run. If she is run, she will get tired and start to settle down in the kennel.
My 2-year-old Patch female is that way, chewing on the fence trying to get out of her kennel. I run her with another female for 2 hours up to 5 hours every other day. Her kennel manners have change tremendously. Calmed down and is much better. Run her, that's what she is wanting from you. Good luck. Just saying. JMHO
I think your right, ran her for 2 hours yesterday, hoping for snow right now. In Michigan and have barely had any. She's not broke on deer yet but I've been running her with 1 or 2 of my other ones that are. Hoping it works

· Registered
7,193 Posts
I understand what you are trying to do, but I think LONG TERM chaining is asking for trouble unless you pay a lot of attention to the chain, snap, collar, etc. It will wear and eventually break, then you have a hound running loose, maybe dragging part of a chain, maybe at a time when you are not home, etc. Better to use a stronger wire, or to double up the wire if chewing is a problem. I believe the hound would be more secure that way.
I never liked chaining any of my dogs, if they saw something they would sprint towards it and get snapped back when they got to the end of the chain. I put a spring on the chain, if they went to the end of the chain it would cushion them and have less of a jolt. Just saying. JMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts