Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to beagling and I learn more everyday, but I would like to know how a field trial for beagles works. Thanks!

·
Registered
908 Posts
As far as AKC trials go, you can go on the AKC web site and look at the rules pertaining to the different formats. Next would be attending a trial ( in the format that interests you) in your area as an observer and ask questions. Most folks are willing to help newcomers to become familiar with the running of the trial and the hounds.

Next thing to remember is to never let trialing dictate the style beagle that you like and keep. They may be worlds apart.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i found some trials that are a couple of hours away that are coming up i might get entered in.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Just keep an open mind about em and go with the understanding that you like the dog whether the judges do or not. :wink:

·
Registered
117 Posts
i live just south of winchester, va not but maybe an hour from you. what kind of dogs do you run? and what clubs are you interested in going to visit?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive only got one dog right now and its a beagle but in the next few months i will be getting another one (bluetick). There are some clubs in morgantown west virginia. I didnt look at any clubs in virginia.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yes, if you live in berkley county you live within a few hours of several clubs. i could help you out in finding out about each club, but i'd have to know what type/style of dogs you prefer to run? or if you have no idea what you want yet, there are options close to you. being you live in that part of the state you are close to PA (a little faster dog), you live close to VA (mostly more SPO medium plus speed dogs) and you live close to WV/PA (more gun dog brace and medium speed dogs. let me know if you're interested in finding out about more clubs, or dogs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
spo trials run the packs of dogs in each series in a pack of usually 4 to 7 dogs. in gun dog brace the dogs are ran just 2 at a time and sometimes 3 at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I might start an argument but generally speaking spo is gonna be a little bit quicker dog than gundog brace depending on what area your in.

For SPO around here youd better have some foot speed and flat medium isnt generally gonna be enough.

·
Registered
631 Posts
SPO here in GA is a hair slower than what we run in ARHA PP.

·
Registered
117 Posts
that is a good assumption, that is why i asked him what he is interested in, because we live so close to PA where SPO in the northeast part of the state is faster (some hare clubs) and the western part and some of VA and WV have alot of gundog brace trials (which is what i run) where a flat medium speed is acceptable. although some of the brace trials in northeast PA are still extremely quick for me (well above medium)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didnt pay attention i just got him from a women who had bred her husbands hunting beagles. He is UKC registered. And he has really started running good now. He is only a year old, and he would have been started earlier but the snow messed things up.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If your hound is only UKC registered you wouldn't be able to compete in AKC trials but you can register your hound in ARHA/NKC and compete in any of their formats and also UKC formats.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Some what different but along the same lines.More formats in AKC then UKC for beagles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts