Field Trial Question

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by FDA Kennels, May 6, 2018.

1. FDA Kennels

FDA Kennels Member

Hi, guys I have be only been Rabbit hunting with my dogs and never did a trial. This year I would like to get in one. Do I just show up? Thanks.

2. Donnie Tew

Donnie Tew New Member

I’ve only done 3 so far, new to beagling as well. All I’ve done is show up by the deadline and sign in for the hunt. That is my experience, ARHA little pack hunts.

3. FDA Kennels

FDA Kennels Member

4. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

Yes just show up. If it’s AKC and it’s a trial where sexes are run different days you need to show up on correct day. Same for sizes. If you need a pre measure normally that’s a 1/2 hour earlier.
    Pre measure time should be posted in add

Rocroc likes this.
  5. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

Another thing to consider, if it’s an AKC trial the dog must be registered w the AKC and unaltered.
    At an ARHA trial, it’s been years since I run one so my information could be off, but, you had to register a dog and have a breed inspector look at it so that takes a little bit of time.
    The other registries I know nothing about

6. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Active Member

Tn
    Do some homework first. Find out what trial type best fits your type of dog. That will make your first field trial experience better. Someone on here can help you better than I can.

Bowguy 1 likes this.
  7. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

This is really good advice. I often recommend someone watch a trial or two first as well so they know what to expect

FDA Kennels likes this.
  8. FDA Kennels

FDA Kennels Member

I have decided on Spo previously and I think it best suits my style of running. Do you need a breed inspector for that. On the past reading I be done I don't think so.

Rocroc likes this.
  9. FDA Kennels

FDA Kennels Member

Also what's arha stand for

10. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Active Member

SPO is small pack option. It is a format. If the trial is run by most associations that do SPO trials it will be necessary to have an AKC registered dog. ARHA - American Rabbit Hunters Association.

11. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

No breed inspector.

12. FDA Kennels

FDA Kennels Member

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. Found a trial near me to go to.

13. TRK

TRK Member

ARHA is The American Rabbit Hound Association.

14. mcardery2k

mcardery2k Active Member

Not sure if anybody mentioned but in AKC you will have to fill out a entry form so you will need the info from your dogs registration papers...

Rocroc likes this.
  15. All good info. Let them know when you are entering your dog that you are new and its your first trial. Usually a club member or members will help you throughout the day. Not difficult, just need to be in the right place at the right time, know which pack you run in, correct color collar on the dog (club should provide) but up to you the get it on the dog before it runs. We need more field trailers, Good Luck

Rocroc likes this.
  16. Although it has been subject to various interpretations, I would contact AKC for a copy of the AkC field trial rule book.

17. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

I agree. A book is helpful. The only thing I disagree w is the interpretations thing. Not saying you personally do so but there’s no rule saying to interpret anything. It’s all cut and dried. Comprehension is all we need

18. I think you are very naive. In my 59 years of field trialing, I have seen so many judges who have interpreted and perceived the contents of the AkC rule book in many different ways to the point where we now have different formats to accommodate those with similar interpretations. We used have to pick the judges we would be willing to run under who were like-minded. Now we can pick our desired format. It lends itself to greater uniformity in judging.