Fencing question?

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by RKW, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

There is a field wire fence between me and my neighbors pasture. I want to put some type of wire or barrier on my side to keep rabbits and dogs from getting through to the pasture. I was thinking of using 2"x4"x3' welded wire. Does it need to be beneath the ground surface? What are your ideas? Thanks for your input.

Roger

2. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    RKW

That particular wire will stop a beagle but a cottontail won't hardly slow up going thru. 2"x4" is too large a gap for a rabbit wire..... would be my advice to go with the coated apron wire although it probably will cost more but you will be happier in the long run. If you go with anything other than apron wire be sure to bury it about 6" deep to prevent burrowing and expect a shorter life span on the buried portion if its not coated.

James

3. RKW

RKW Active Member

Thanks James but are you talking about a type of hardware cloth like used on rabbit cages? I'm not familiar with the term apron. Also is 3' tall enough?

Roger

4. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    No, Apron wire comes in various heights and is heavier gauge than chicken wire although it looks the same. It has hinged bottom that folds out on the top of the ground forming an apron from 12" to 18'' wide so you don't have to bury it. Can be bought so that you will have 3' to 5' of upright fence not counting the apron. 60" would be 48" high with a 12" apron.

James