Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody happen to hav a pedigree on him. He is several times in a pedigree of one of mine, but can't find out what his breeding was. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
——————-FC B and Ws crip a line short stop
————FC B and Ws Wright line carson
——————-Belues Blowing Susie
Slim —————————————————-
——————— B and Ws hard luck playboy
————JPs rose ————————————
———————Henry Little Tiny

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Anybody happen to hav a pedigree on him. He is several times in a pedigree of one of mine, but can't find out what his breeding was. Thanks for any help.

........................FC Del Ray Stubby
..................B And W's Hard Luck Playboy
........................Loy's Skipper
............FC B And W's Crip-A-Line Shortstop
........................Short Trail Boss
..................Chico's Little Susie
........................Little Tiny II
......FC B And W's Wright Line Carson
........................FC Shorts Banker Boogie
..................Newbern's Banker Boomer
........................Swallow's Boomer
............Belue's Blowing Susie
........................Newbern's Thorn Karo
..................Newbern's Frances
........................Yellow Jacket Kate
FC Redwood Slow Slim (HM42246102)
........................Del Ray Benji
..................FC Del Ray Stubby
........................Hi Hill Lucy
............B And W's Hard Luck Playboy
........................Skipper Joe XVIII
..................Loy's Skipper
........................Loy's Vicky
......Jp's Rose
........................Upper Cumberland Wallace
..................Patton's Little Henry
........................Goolsby Sue
............Henry's Little Tiny
........................FC Omena Ink Spot
..................Little Jannie
........................Belmont Little Jane

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John.I looked high and low and could only come up with the top part.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Some good ole blood there. I remember a lot of those dogs and they were nice. The bottom side where you see Upper Cumbeland was the kennel name for a man in Cookeville, Tennessee. His kennel was traditional brace but some of the early SPO hounds were crossed on his stud dogs in order to breed for early gundog field trials.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Yes, as Mr. Dunn Stated. The Bottom of the Dam's side is Traditional Brace breeding. That type of breeding did produce some fine SPO dogs. In the early days of SPO that type of breeding was fairly popular. Down here in South Louisiana we bred some really nice Traditional Brace rejects that really could move a rabbit, not walk it to what we called our Cottontail hounds. Results were good, I know I had nice dogs that came from Traditional Brace rejects. In those days if you said you had papered dogs, most gunners automatically thought of the slow blow holes in the ground type dogs. Actually the Trialers kept that type and sold the useful dogs for hunting. That is how I got my start in papered dogs. I had some really nice gundogs that I could gun and sure to make winners pack just about all the time. Not always placed as they needed a step or two to be able to win, but got in that winners pack often and if lucky placed anywhere from 2nd to NBQ. I was happy with my dogs. The mistake I made is breeding for more speed apparently doing it the wrong way. It resulted in me getting dogs I really didn't like. The type I like now is what I originally started with. To easy to win, but still great dogs. Much easier to handle for an old man LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If you look back in some of the old hounds and hunting - mid to late seventies - you will find FC Upper Cumberland Mr. Nelson. He belonged to a brace club in Cookeville. They were always annoyed with him because his dog were too rough for them. They kept him in the club though because he was a animal doctor.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Thanks Mark, that was him. I guess he has passed on by now. Is the Cookeville Beagle Club still going? A good friend of mine, now deceased, Mr. John Haley and I took some of our dogs to one of their trials. They asked us to judge a class and we did. They were kind to us and never told us how we did as judges. It was a club trial so they weren't afraid we would mess up a class. My buddy John got hooked on traditional brace and was very successful with it finishing several hounds. I took the other route. Cancer got him at an early age. He and his son came to visit me at my farm and I ran some dogs for him. He said if he beat the cancer he was going to get into gundogs. He never made it. Lost a good friend.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes he passed away years ago the old brace club was upper Cumberland beagle club if I remember right there is one living member now they don’t use it the clubhouse has fell in they sold a lot of the running grounds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts