Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I hunted rabbits with a 20 gauge using No. 6 shot for about 25 years. I killed more rabbits with that shotgun then with any of my others. It was my first shotgun. I hunted everything with it, just changed size of shot when hunting birds. It is a great all around shotgun. I have passed it on to one of my sons. The 20 gauge is 59 years old, shows usage, but for the age still in good original shape. Personally a 20 gauge in my opinion is a good all around shotgun for small game. If you plan on doing some duck or goose hunting where steel shot is the only legal shot to use a 12 gauge may be a better choice. For rabbit, squirrel, dove hunting go 20 gauge with the right choke and shot suitable for your preferred distance and game hunting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hunted rabbits with a 20 gauge using No. 6 shot for about 25 years. I killed more rabbits with that shotgun then with any of my others. It was my first shotgun. I hunted everything with it, just changed size of shot when hunting birds. It is a great all around shotgun. I have passed it on to one of my sons. The 20 gauge is 59 years old, shows usage, but for the age still in good original shape. Personally a 20 gauge in my opinion is a good all around shotgun for small game. If you plan on doing some duck or goose hunting where steel shot is the only legal shot to use a 12 gauge may be a better choice. For rabbit, squirrel, dove hunting go 20 gauge with the right choke and shot suitable for your preferred distance and game hunting.
I agree with everything you said!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use a pump 410 mostly with #6 2 1/2 usually, sometimes use 3 in. If hunting WMA, I use 20 pump, in Arkansas on WMA we have to use steel shot. I want a contender. The guns you have now will work great. All the guns mentioned will work great, its what your preferences are.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I use my 22 long rifle Remington Nylon 66 if there is 2 of us hunting, it’s cheap shooting.
I use my Stoeger o/u 410, Remington 1100 SEMI auto 410, Mossburg 410 pump. I used a 12 gauge when I was younger, gun got heavy so I lighten it up with the 22 and 410’s. I also have slings on all of my guns, definitely a must when hunting. JMHO

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,980 Posts
welcome aboard~ growing up in eastern ky i had a choice---12ga or 10 ga stevens single barrel----when i got grown i found remington guns are the best suited for me----more comfortable and an extension of self~12 gauge is still my favorite with #4 shot for small game----buckshot for deer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses and the welcomes. I think ill keep using the 16ga and whenever i see shells on the shelf i better pick em up. both of those guns fit me pretty well (had a benelli supernova that i couldnt hit anything with) I have a 7 yr old and I think ill keep an eye out for a 20 ga single barrel for him.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts