Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 yr old male that has a distended abdomen after eating and gets very sore to the touch.This seems to have been progressing over the last couple months.Took him to the vet and xrays show a large mass in his abdomen and they want to do exploratory surgery that cost between $800-$1000.I was wondering if anyone had had this done before and what the results were.I was hoping there was a blood test that could be done to identify if it is cancer or not.I have always believed that if you could not afford to take care of your dogs you shouldn't have them and now i am being put to the test.I really hate to put out $1000 for a surgery and then find out the dog needs put down.please let me know if you have went through this and the results.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd opinion for ? i saw the x rays and see the mass as well as feel it from the outside.I did call another vet asking about cost and they said the price was fair .Are you saying get a second opinion on what it is or how to treat it?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would get a second opinion, is there a Medical College nearby, you can always take it there for a diagnosis. The Vet students would/could do surgery if needed.
With a distended abdomen, pooling of fluid, in around the abdomen, liver , heart other organ problems.
I would have the Vet do an exploratory surgery, they would find it out and if bad, the dog is already knocked out so to terminate its life would be less of a trauma.
I had a dog that was lethargic, did exploratory and found it had cancer of the stomach, had the vet put him down while he was sedated. Nominal cost!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a complicated question. There are a lot of possible diagnoses for mass in abdomen. Most are not likely to be good for a hunting dog. Abdomen contains liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, pancreas, adrenal glands, kidneys, urinary bladder, lymph nodes, prostate, and messentery. The possibilities include neoplasia or inflammation in any of organs. Other possibilities are hemorrhage (hematoma) in spleen and foreign body. I would ask DVM what area of abdomen is involved (what anatomic area is the likely location of mass?). If spleen neoplasia (likely poor prognosis) or hematoma (surgical removal would be curative) are possibilities.

wjm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts