Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read you could use this on pups. Well i goofed up and tried it. I almost killed 4 Blackcreek pups with it that are 9 weeks old. I took one to the Vet. and had fluids put through her and she is fine after 280.00 later. All the other pups were effected. She told me a pup less that 16 weeks have not got the membrane to the brain developed. My pups were nurelogic, they could not walk. They all lived through this but I learned an expensive lession.

·
Registered
45 Posts
safeguard is the best puppy worming i have ever found. safe if you give to much as well. equamax i can see were it might be to much for pups but a very small amount i wouldn't think would kill them. what dosage did you use?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put a real small amount on the end of my finger and rubbed it into the top of the mouth. I believe any amount of anything with ivomec in it is to much for a pup that young. I use safeguard all the time and will not use anything else for my pups from now on. I also use valbasin with good results switching them out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I cannot see how the Ivomec bothered the pups, unless it was too high of a dose. I start worming my pups with Ivomec(one drop out of the end of the needle)at 2 weeks old. Been doing this for 15 years and never had a problem.
Hope all the pups are fine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It's not the ivermectin that's too strong it's the paraquintzal. I start my pups on ivermec at 8 weeks giving them .1cc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i just put a real small amount on the end of my finger and rubbed it into the top of the mouth. I believe any amount of anything with ivomec in it is to much for a pup that young. I use safeguard all the time and will not use anything else for my pups from now on. I also use valbasin with good results switching them out.
stick with the valbazen for the pups its cheaper and it also prevents coccodi start them out at 2 weeks old
safeguard is the safest wormer on the market

·
Registered
395 Posts
stick with the valbazen for the pups its cheaper and it also prevents coccodi start them out at 2 weeks old
safeguard is the safest wormer on the market
im sorry wrong info on the Valbazen prevents and kills giardia not cocci:banghead:but it dose kill tape,hook round and whipworms.

·
Registered
395 Posts
valbazen and equimax dosage

im sorry wrong info on the Valbazen prevents and kills giardia not cocci:banghead:but it dose kill tape,hook round and whipworms.
valbazen dosage:treat grown dogs 2 days in a row reatreat within 21 days 1cc per 25lbs. puppy dose is 1/10 of a cc per 10lbs
schedule dosage for pups is 2,3,4,6,8,10,12,13 weeks,and the mom2,3,4 weeks
equimax dosage is:
1cc per 43to51lbs
9/10cc per38 to46lbs
8/10cc per34to41lbs
7/10cc per30 to 36lbs
6/10cc per 26 to 31lbs
5/10cc per 21to26lbs
4/10cc per 17 to 21 lbs
3/10cc per 13to15lbs
2/10cc per 9 to 10lbs
1/10cc per 4 to5lbs
I would start out with the vabazen schedule for pups,finish that up and then go to the equimax!!
put the the equimax half way down a 35 cc syringe take out, then put the plunger back in, and it will even out no mess at all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
valbazen dosage:treat grown dogs 2 days in a row reatreat within 21 days 1cc per 25lbs. puppy dose is 1/10 of a cc per 10lbs
schedule dosage for pups is 2,3,4,6,8,10,12,13 weeks,and the mom2,3,4 weeks
equimax dosage is:
1cc per 43to51lbs
9/10cc per38 to46lbs
8/10cc per34to41lbs
7/10cc per30 to 36lbs
6/10cc per 26 to 31lbs
5/10cc per 21to26lbs
4/10cc per 17 to 21 lbs
3/10cc per 13to15lbs
2/10cc per 9 to 10lbs
1/10cc per 4 to5lbs
I would start out with the vabazen schedule for pups,finish that up and then go to the equimax!!
put the the equimax half way down a 35 cc syringe take out, then put the plunger back in, and it will even out no mess at all.
EQUIMAX IS SOME GOOD WORMER DOGS PICKING UP WEIGHT AND IM FEEDING LESS.
I DO IT EVERY MONTH, I STOPPED USING IVOMEC IN THE BROWN BOTTLE.EQUIMAX IS A COMPLETE WORMER:thumb:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I had read you could use this on pups. Well i goofed up and tried it. I almost killed 4 Blackcreek pups with it that are 9 weeks old. I took one to the Vet. and had fluids put through her and she is fine after 280.00 later. All the other pups were effected. She told me a pup less that 16 weeks have not got the membrane to the brain developed. My pups were nurelogic, they could not walk. They all lived through this but I learned an expensive lession.
I have a question about taking the one pup to the vet. I assume you just took one pup to the vet, did the other three pull through it at the same or at a slower time frame than the one. Could it have been the vet knew all along that the one pup would pull through this as the other three did and just wanted the 280.00 dollars? I just have little respect for vet's and their high prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts