Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We’re first time Beagle owners and looking for a recommendation for the best E Collar to help teach our property lines to our puppy. We do not have a fence and our property backs to a reservoir and a farm next door. Worried he’s going to track something and not come back. He’s been doing well without a leash and really don’t want to leash him. Was thinking an E collar is the way to go to train him to stay close.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
For keeping on property I agree with slow dogs, one of the invisible fence systems would be the best bet. I have seen a few in action . Here’s what little I saw with them.
1) the training part is important. Follow the directions.
2) the ones where the wire is buried work good until the dog gets excited and crosses anyway. Then they realize they only get a quick shock then they are free.
3) the radio ones will keep shocking the dog whenever they are outside the zone. But they usually only have a circular range.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Get the buried invisible fence, as the training progresses keep walking dog near fence so he/she sees the flags to know where boundaries are, it’s a process. They will eventually know where the fence is by the tone, vibration and the shock.
True test is when the dog sees something and runs through the fence and now is on the other side and can’t or won’t come back because of the fence. Need to keep track of the dog awhile so that doesn’t happen.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I tried the underground fence and it eventually worked our young female lab was bad about roaming so after burying the fence and working with her only a short time she had it figured out but shortly after that she’d figured out if she ran real fast it would be over pretty quick and she could handle the pain but after me putting her on a leash and slow walking her back home about 5 times she decided the grass wasn’t greener on the other side , worked great after that

·
Registered
537 Posts
wow this is a good question. I personally do not think any of the "fence" ideas will work. Just like foxes said something on
the other side will be too much of an attraction and shock or no shock off we go.
Is the dog going to be left out or just let out ?
If left out then your solution is to by a fence .
If you are going to let the dog out to get a little exercise and do their business then I would consider buying a Garmin (there are some used 100 for sale ) get them from Opie or Hunt n Harris. For a controller and a collar you my not be able to train him or her to stay in the yard but you will always be able to locate them and hopefully just tone them to come home

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Anna - you might want to try this, I do this with all of my dogs, beagles, Brittany spaniel, and my German Shorthair Pointer.
What I do is take the dog/pup and put it on its side, it will fight you trying to get up. DO NOT LET IT UP, keep the pup on its side and put your hand around its throat, growling and palpate the throat as it thinks its getting bitten, you will feel them relax. Do this every time they are testing you. A female mother dog does this to get the litter under control and not tolerate any nonsense from the pup. This is a ongoing process. I have done this procedure numerous times, some times I stop the growling and palpating and the pup will just lay there. As the dog gets bigger and more testy they will fight being held down, squirming, trying to get up. Your pup will not settle in until the age of 2. Remember you are the ALPHA in your pack and their behavior will not be tolerated. I still do it at times with my all age dogs just as a reminder when they are testing boundaries. Make sure you growl and palpate the throat- don't be afraid to do it.
Also when you are holding/petting your pup slightly blow your breath into their face, just an added reminder to them and its part of the bonding you are building with them.

When your pup does good, they come to you when called and the problem behavior has slightly gone away give them tons of PRAISE, but be ready to be tested at all times. DO NOT LET YOUR EMOTIONS TAKE OVER WHEN DISCIPLINING. The key to this, you must be smarter then the dog!
Good luck, let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a radio cone fence that works well on a 70lb black lab. We put it on him in the morning and take it off at night it has been working for about 3 months. It will keep correction until they return to safe area. The only down fall is they are only good for about ¾ acre is the max I have found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anna - you might want to try this, I do this with all of my dogs, beagles, Brittany spaniel, and my German Shorthair Pointer.
What I do is take the dog/pup and put it on its side, it will fight you trying to get up. DO NOT LET IT UP, keep the pup on its side and put your hand around its throat, growling and palpate the throat as it thinks its getting bitten, you will feel them relax. Do this every time they are testing you. A female mother dog does this to get the litter under control and not tolerate any nonsense from the pup. This is a ongoing process. I have done this procedure numerous times, some times I stop the growling and palpating and the pup will just lay there. As the dog gets bigger and more testy they will fight being held down, squirming, trying to get up. Your pup will not settle in until the age of 2. Remember you are the ALPHA in your pack and their behavior will not be tolerated. I still do it at times with my all age dogs just as a reminder when they are testing boundaries. Make sure you growl and palpate the throat- don't be afraid to do it.
Also when you are holding/petting your pup slightly blow your breath into their face, just an added reminder to them and its part of the bonding you are building with them.

When your pup does good, they come to you when called and the problem behavior has slightly gone away give them tons of PRAISE, but be ready to be tested at all times. DO NOT LET YOUR EMOTIONS TAKE OVER WHEN DISCIPLINING. The key to this, you must be smarter then the dog!
Good luck, let me know how it works out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually already had to do this with little baby beagle already. He's 100% hound, but completely submissive to my husband and I already. Question, when he gets too mouthy with the kids while they're playing do you suggest having the kids use this method as well? I had my son do this a couple of times so far and it doesn't seem to be working quite as well for him. I think the puppy is trying to find his place in the family, so I want to make sure he understands he is under the children as well.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually already had to do this with little baby beagle already. He's 100% hound, but completely submissive to my husband and I already. Question, when he gets too mouthy with the kids while they're playing do you suggest having the kids use this method as well? I had my son do this a couple of times so far and it doesn't seem to be working quite as well for him. I think the puppy is trying to find his place in the family, so I want to make sure he understands he is under the children as well.
How old are your kids? If young the pup feeds off their excitement and to the pup they are his play mates. You and husband need to intervene to set the tone that the pup understand the kids are above him. You could do the growling and have the kids do it with your supervision. If bad , put the pup into the dog crate for a time out. When working with animals they get a brain lock and you must break the thought in the brain to get their attention and refocus to the task at hand.
I am doing the same thing with my 4 month old beagle, he’s minding good and the other day he got a mind set of I am going to wander off, I had to run after him, down him and do the growl treatment on him, I stopped he laid there I called him and he came. It was a time out back to his kennel, It’s a constant testing issue with him, he wants to make his world bigger and I want him to know the boundaries I will/have established.

Keep on top of it, remember don’t let your emotions take over. You need to get the pup to know your the Alpha, sometimes you have to train with fear to get their respect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anna how is your pup doing? How is your training going?
Just wanted know.
Hey, thanks so much for asking. It is going really well. I ended up getting the Dogtra Mini and we all love it. I put boundary flags out front where I was concerned about the road and I’m working on training him there with the shock function to stay inside. I probably won’t ever trust that completely, so he’s only ever alone out front on a long lead and the kids are really good about this. He won’t spend much time out front since most of our property is in the back.

Our property... some acreage and about 2 wooded but we’re next to a 25 acres deserted horse farm and back up to huge reservoir. We ride 4 wheelers and have paths for the dog and it is so fun to watch him out there. He jumps in the tall grass and when he gets a scent it is really fun. He spooked a deer with my daughter and he did chase it down for a bit, he obviously was out run and when I shocked and called he came barreling back. He responds really well to the shock. I don’t even have it high.

The only issue we had was in our back woods when he almost got stuck in a fox hole. I ended up being able to get him out but it was scary, he must have just gone too far and couldn’t get back. What do you do about them going holes? I mean that’s their nature too right?

The collar has a geofence I can set and it alerts me when he goes out, but I still can’t ever leave him alone with just that. At least at this puppy stage.

My goal right now is just showing him where he can go and making sure he responds to come. Not letting him completely out of site yet and telling him ok let’s go when he’s allowed to free range.

I can’t imagine having all this for him to explore and putting him on a leash so I’m glad we decided to invest. At least if he’s lost I should be able to find him on the map and track him down. I don’t think I’ll be comfortable letting him out of my site for a while.

He’s been great with the kids, so tolerable for the most part and we’re quick to have the kids put him in his place if he acts up. The holding down trick really works. He actually responds to my 4 year old girl better than my 8 year old boy. She is really good with him.

All in all going well. Funny story... the boys were squirrel hunting. They put a tail up to dry, puppy found it the next day which I told them to put it up good, but they didn’t and he ate the tail. Turns out he had a vet appointment later that evening. He made it all the way to the vet and then barfed it up on their floor🤦🏻‍♀️

Thanks for checking in! Any more pointers let me know! Here’s a picture of Duke!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Good looking pup. Are you planning on hunting rabbits with him ? I have found that if I train one near the house by just letting them walk to the brush to jump a rabbit then I have no chance of keeping them in the yard. They want to go to the brush every time. If I leash them then walk to the brush and turn them loose to jump a rabbit there’s a period of time I can let them loose to run and they don’t take off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good looking pup. Are you planning on hunting rabbits with him ? I have found that if I train one near the house by just letting them walk to the brush to jump a rabbit then I have no chance of keeping them in the yard. They want to go to the brush every time. If I leash them then walk to the brush and turn them loose to jump a rabbit there’s a period of time I can let them loose to run and they don’t take off.
Thanks. Interesting. I’ll have to keep this in mind. My son will probably hunt a little with him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts