Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located T , what is the limit of mallard drakes and hens? Just wonder how much different it is from Michigan.
Nice bunch of ducks.
We are from South Carolina but came up to Tennessee to hunt. Not sure on the limit of each kind. But total of 6 per person. We are on a guided hunt.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
We can shoot 1 hen and the rest mallards, total of 6. I was out at a gravel pit one fall day it was getting towards dusk. 2 Drakes and 1 hen Mallard came into the dekes. They set their wings with a drake at the top, hen in the middle and drake at the bottom. They were in a perfect line with a couple of feet separating them. I shot and got all 3 ducks. Walked out into waist deep water and retrieved them. I could not believe that I got all 3 with one shot.
That shot made my evening of duck hunting and put a memory I will never forget. I wonder how many duck hunters had done what I did. JMO

·
Super Moderator
6,157 Posts
I used to love duck hunting and use to be a member in a duck lease but it got so expensive and fewer ducks coming south that I got out and only go with a buddy of mine 1 or 2 times a year. The older I get the less I enjoy getting up at 2a to go do that!! Lol

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Based on what everyone told me when I first started duck hunting it seems I came in at the end because it was going down hill. The first piece of advice I was given from a a big time hunter when I told him I wanted to start was simply "Don't". I can't help it, its way too much fun. I have more spots to duck hunt these days than rabbit hunt. When I'm lucky I have 1 maybe 2 people join me on rabbit hunts which is less than it use to be. I love to run dogs alone, but if I'm hunting I like to have shooters. Hunting alone feels more like work than just enjoying the day. I duck hunt with a couple high school friends and its been a tough year for sure but we've had a ton of laughs and that's made up for it. This season isn't over yet and I'm already planning and looking foward to next season.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My in-laws have one of the last private blinds on Reelfoot and a family friend guides out of it and we try to go with him once a year. Got the last weekend of season this year (Jan 30th and 31st) and the last day is the one day we can hunt until dark so as long as it isn't froze over we'll try to stack a few up as well! Always an interesting mixture of ducks off that body of water and glad to see y'all did well!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
We would float in a canoe creeks, small rivers and flooded swamps. Shot blue/green winged teal, wood ducks, some mallards. Some of the picked corn fields would have flocks of magnum mallards that we set up on or belly crawl to them. Back then in Michigan we had a point system, so many points for certain type of ducks, I think it had to total 100 points then you were done. Always wanted to shoot the Green heads, 10 points per duck. Definitely had to know your ducks as they came into the dekes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ugh you're killing me man!

Reelfoot is my happy place. I love to go in Late May or Early June around a full moon and fish for bluegill and shellcrackers on the beds. In my head, I am there right now and just found a nest up by those weeds... I hope I don't get snagged because I sure aint reaching up there and getting snake bit over a slip bobber...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sad stuff going on at Reelfoot right now fellas.

All over some ducks. The world is a crazy and sick place sometimes.
That’s why I carry, you can not trust anyone! Shot over some ducks! WTH !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts