Drying up after weening?

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by RKW, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

Do any of you give your bitches something to help dry them up after the pups are weened to get them ready to run again? If you do what?

Roger

2. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I usually just let nature take its course.

3. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Don't feed for 24 hours and then don't over feed....I take my pups off at 5 weeks if the pups are eating good

4. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I just give mine a little time

5. beagledog

beagledog New Member

Ohio
    RKW- Always took the mother away and then put her back with the pups about twice a day (once in the morning then once in the evening) for about the first 6 days after taking her away from the pups. She will still keep producing milk and you need to get that milk out of her, so we just let the pups have it. After she slows down producing milk we put the udder balm on her tits ( don't put her back with the pups once you start this ). This will make her tits shrink up back to normal. Will almost look like she never had pups. Do this for about a week or so. We do this to get her tits to shrink up as much as possible so the briars don't tear into her tits while running.

6. RKW

RKW Active Member

My female's bag hangs so low I thought she might need some type of ointment to help shrink it when I ween the pups. I normally let nature take care of it but I don't want her to be torn up every time she runs. I know the vet can give them a shot to dry them up but I like beagleman's idea to let the pups have the last milk if she will allow them too.

Roger

7. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

I usually try to ween mine at 5 weeks old. If it is in the hot summer time i will let the pups nurse once a day for a couple of days. If it is cooler weather when i wean them i just take her away from the pups all together. I also cut her feed back, this seems to help dry her up faster.

8. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

I cut her food back two to three days before I take the pups off. Take the pups off and 24 hrs. later if she's full of milk I'll put the pups in for a couple hours. Take the pups out repeat the next day if you need to? You usually won't. Get a bottle of Camphor Spirits (drugstore) lay the gyp on her back and rub it on her bag. Works best if you can do it twice a day for two or three days, but once a day for 2 or three days will work too. Needless to say don't let the pups back on her after you start the Camphor. Most gyps will be ready to run again in about 10 days and pull up nice and tight!

9. RKW

RKW Active Member

I was trying to remember what type of rub you could use. I had used something before but can't remember what. Thanks

Roger