Doves

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by 10ACbeagler, Aug 6, 2020.

1. 10ACbeagler

10ACbeagler Well-Known Member

TN
    Dang doves are taunting me. Still a few weeks before season opens and I have tons around me. There's nothing like a good dove shoot I look forward to season every year probably more than any other. I took the video and pictures beside my house the other day after mowing. On the way home yesterday afternoon the far side of this field had a couple hundred birds easy on the power line and even more in the field...I hope they stick around until the opener!

VideoCapture_20200802-182920.jpg 20200803_165714.jpg VideoCapture_20200804-183924.jpg

2. Aubbietiger

Aubbietiger Well-Known Member

I hope they move about 75 miles south. I have a few homer around me that are starting to come into my cattle catch pen. This time of year I feed my cattle whole and crack corn in my catch pen and they kick and paw and they get that corn everywhere just saying. I, like you love opening day.

3. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    I have 1 dove hunt lined up . A friend of mine that has MS belongs to a hunting organization for handicapped hunters ( Wheelin Sportsman ) . He has invited me to a few hunts as a guess . Two dove hunts and a deer hunt . They would not let non handicapped people shoot a deer , but I had a great time . Those hunters do not consider themselves handicapped . It did me good to be around them , they helped my spirit more than I helped them . They had a bus full of handicapped Vets. black and white come also and we had a great time . The hunting club that invited us , treated us like kings . They feed us breakfast and a big lunch . Most was cooked on the grill . On the dove hunts guests could shoot . I found out how bad a shot I am on the dove hunt . But it is a lot of fun when you get into that 3rd box of shells .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. Aubbietiger

Third box of shells that should be a pile of dove a show dog couldn’t jump over. LOL

5. bear128

bear128 Well-Known Member

maryland
  6. 10ACbeagler

TN
    It takes me 3 boxes to get warmed up and start hitting any! I used to have a field that had more doves than a man could shoot. Only me and 2 or 3 of my buddies could hunt it. They sold it and new owners said no hunting because their daughter liked watching the wild life. I'm stuck with public land dove fields and that is a mess with people having no common courtesy sitting right on top of you. I had a guy wanting to fight over a dove last year! We did a small sunflower and millet plot this year at a friend's but most sunflowers only made it to about waist high. Next year I've made plans to plant a couple acres of sun flowers at my place and after some good advice think we will have a lot better results.

Usually here we get a cold front or a bunch of rain right before the opener and it pushes the birds out. In 2018 we were in the field at about 8 waiting in the sun then it started lightning and raining around 11. Over half the field left but we stayed. Weather cleared out right before shooting time and suprisingly the doves came pouring in. Here's a small clip from that day..lots of shooting(and missing)

7. Aubbietiger

If you plant it they will come. Be smart how you manage it at the end and they will be like black birds.

8. marshall dillon

Virginia
    It should be , but a dove is pretty safe flying by me . I average about 2 doves a box . I am going back to dad’s gun next hunt . See I am trying to blame it on the gun and not the shooter , but that didn’t work last year either because I took a different gun and chokes last year after my pitiful shooting on the first hunt .

9. Aubbietiger

Winchester super x 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot 1300 FPS been using this for about 10 years now and can an amateur into a pro shooter on dove I’m proof. Get mine for cheaper than dirt ammo.

10. marshall dillon

Virginia
    My first hunt I was using a 20ga with Winchester Super Speed #8 7/8 1275 .

My second hunt I was using a 12ga with Federal Game Load #8 1oz 1290 .

I will try the Winchester Super X , but I don’t buy from CTD and I use to before . They were price gouging during the ammo shortage a few years back when other places didn’t like Midway and your LGS . That is when I got into reloading pistol and rifle . I don’t reload shotgun , different press .

11. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Guys there is nothing better than a season opener dove shoot. Great time to introduce kids to shooting and safety. Lots of fun for family and all. We let the kids have opening morning and Adults get the evening shoot. We make it really fun and handicap each other by only allowing 28 ga or 410 for the adults. Youth are using 20 ga and 28 ga. You talk about laughing at each other. We usually all go in together and buy 2-4 cases of shells. It’s a riot!! We have a big cookout on 2nd day of season and mostly grill dove wrapped in bacon, duck bites, and stuffed jalapeños poppers. Fun for all!!

Aubbietiger, That, Circle4p and 4 others like this.
  12. marshall dillon

Virginia
    I love dove wrapped in bacon with jalapeño peppers cooked in the smoker . That is some good eating there .

Aubbietiger, That, Circle4p and 3 others like this.
  13. 10ACbeagler

TN
    TJ you're absolutely right about a dove shoot being the best way to introduce new hunters especially youth to the outdoors. Lots of action with birds flying, lots of shooting, lots of laughter, and lots of food when it's over! Regardless of public field shenanigans that go on it's still usually a good time. Next year with our 2 private field's will hopefully be even better.

14. marshall dillon

Virginia
    If I can get my food plots established this fall I am going to plant something for the doves next year also . But to tell you the truth there are corn fields planted all around me and I don’t see many doves .

Aubbietiger, That, Circle4p and 2 others like this.
  15. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Yes sir!!Plant them sunflowers early as you can. We just leased a new farm for hunting. We won’t get to utilize for dove this year and will have to hunt on public and couple neighbors after they do their family deal. But wait till next year!! We’re already planning what and where on new lease. Enjoy guys only a few weeks away

16. 10ACbeagler

TN
    Marshall I have good places around me that I use to be able to hunt without a problem but now there is one family that owns or leases it all and they will not let anyone hunt it. Money sure has changed them sadly. A friend of mine planted some sunflowers and millet on his place this year and theres a lot of doves around but not many hitting his plot. He got a late start and as I said above they didn't really get the size they needed to get. I've been doing my home work and think I can do a good field next year. I know I'm going to do sunflowers but may plant something else with it.

17. 10ACbeagler

TN

TJ it seems most get their sunflowers in around April here from what I gather. Making sure the weeds don't overtake it is key. I'm going to do my best to keep them out.

18. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    That’s about right!! If you can put a pre-emergence herbicide down. On my last sunflower spot of about 3-4 acres we sprayed with roundup as soon as it started greening up in spring, let it set for a couple-3 weeks, disc it up, sprayed with herbicide and planted last part of April. It did real well and wasn’t the weed competition.

19. 10ACbeagler

TN
    Thats about the plan I'm going to go with and I hope it works.

20. M&M kennels

M&M kennels Well-Known Member

We are ready for the doves to start flying in also first time I've planted or made a dove field we planted sunflowers and millot behimd my house the sunflowers didnt do very good they are short and not very big but I think they will still work we about to start seeding the tilled spots next couple days my friends are mad at me cause our season starts on Tuesday and I'm making them wait till Saturday where I can shoot with them 0806201907_HDR.jpg