Rabbit Dogs banner

DOG TRACKING

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Foxxy 
#1 ·
How's everyone fix dog tracking on 8 month old.... Hard to give up on him with all the talent he has after rabbits up..

#7 · (Edited)
Justin.....I'm gonna give you a little truth here…...It depends on the cross of hound....the bloodline...….. as to what your options are.

If this is some usual puppy dog tracking and excitement barking early on in young started pups that is just part of the game and like every one has already stated with running this soon vanishes no problem.

BUT

Several very successful and extremely popular FC and National Field Champion Field Trial Male dog \ Dogs are proven, known, producers of an..... enormous amount ….of Ghost Trailers and Dog Trackers. They are notorious for regularly stamping and engraining this fault in a large majority of their offspring...…. along with all the great things they add.

The trick to breeding and moving around in this stuff is finding the rare few that don't....BARK ALL OVER THE PALCE.... or.... the few you can FIX...by shocking them.... almost to death.... day in and day out......or..... finally get..... ONE..... out of the pile...... that don't have this FAULT.....or...... don't have it TOO BAD...….If you find the one you will have a Trophy Winner....that is why this is still being bred and sought after.....mostly...... by Field Trailers. Thank GOD breeders are now finally starting to find crosses that cleans this fault up some....Thank GOD!

These hounds were\ are so good \ convincing, at what they do wrong...... that they FOOLED many a judge until the right dog came along and proved them LIARS...…. and got them jerked up off the ground and sent home. For many it was to late as they had already made FC...….This happened most and especially when trialing or running in running enclosures. They appeared to be the only hounds on the ground that can smell that rabbit???...…..BIG NOSE...syndrome....Yea right….Dream Land? they kept going until they hit another line and bingo...look at that ...Magic.

The Dogs \ Dog these \ this hound produced did solve the Shorts' Pro...…. OBVIOUS..... BIG NO HUNT PROBLEM witnessed in MANY OF PRO's OFFSPRING..... but the side effect was and still is in many crosses of this famous dog \ dogs is.....DOG TRACKING..... and …...GHOST TRAILING..... out the Ying Yang.

Most of the BIG Time Hunters..... moved away from this dog and most of his offspring and culled everything in their kennels with any of this blood in them because of this violent disruption.... FAULT and all the huge amount of babblers it produced over and over litter after litter.

On the other hand most...... Field Trailers have Gravitated heavily to this blood line today and included it into their strain of beagle because it does produce BIG TIME WINNERS when...…. you do...…. get a good one.

Again these big hounds..... HUNT......yes sir most of them do and that is what first attracted hunters..... to these dogs along with the Field Trailers and the good ones can run the piss out a rabbit and very correctly.....all the style you want...…but...... GHOST TRAILING and DOG TRACKING...... is deeply engrained in them...and really, really bad in certain crosses....But.... When you finally get a good one..... you got a good one and you have a BIG TIME Trophy Winner.... No doubt!

Many of the more famous hounds in this Line \ Cross of Pro hounds that I started, ran with ,judged, witnessed were trained, run with shock collars on their necks and shocked and shocked and shocked day and night and run and run and shocked and shocked to get many of the more famous of them tolerable and trailable so they could become HUGE FIELD TRIALER WINNERS. What many people do know is that..... Tons of their offspring that could pound a rabbit could never be used for trialing or hunting and were / are sold off and or put down for DOG TRACKING and GHOST TRAILING until they hit a good line....and looked like Super DOG!

These faulty hounds fooled many a judged for a long time and they are one of the big reasons.... GHOST TRAILING, BABBLING and EXTRA MOUTH is..... tolerated...... big time today in some Field Trials under the LIE of the...BIG NOSE....Syndrome and inexperienced judging.

So...I said al that to say this...…. if you..... got one ..... from this line...…...Good luck to you as he is either gonna wear you out or you are going to have to wear him out.....IF you know what I mean.

Good luck,

Mitch

#12 · (Edited)
Branch, Solas,

Solas….. if you really loved me and wanted me you would send me gas money.

Man yawl gonna love reading and gossiping about this tonight. Phones ringing off the hook....I can hear all the clucking and a pecking that's gonna be going on already. What an egg party!

Ok...let's go.

First thing....My peanut rolling, short on nose, stuck in the back, stuck in the past, no name, backyard, pot lickin hunting dogs that cant keep up in todays Field Trials.... can't hold a candle to the Great SPO hounds of today...especially the GREAT PRO DOGS!

The good dogs I am talking about in the post above are GREAT ONES..... for sure!

There is no wrong or right to what I posted above.....it is..... what it is....more so... what is was...….. as I said great breeders and different crosses have greatly improve it as a whole today.

It's like this....

On the one hand when you breed you always have some you keep and some you let go......CULL........in any bloodline.

So

Breeding to this hounds bloodline is no different than any other..... Except..... when you do keep one..... it is an...…. excellent one in many rearguards. A Great One..... and the good ones do HUNT.....Today! Yes they do...….and...…... Yes..... I and many others clearly remember when most of them...……..DID NOT HUNT A LICK!!!!!

Did Paul Short ever get into the HALL of FAME? If he did disregard some of what is below ….if not...…. it all applies.

What I don't understand and what strikes me very odd looking back is that Paul Shorts massive contribution to the betterment of the beagle breed especially Field Trial Dogs..... is still not good enough to get him in the Hall of Fame.

I remember when lots of us.....people.......most people...…Big Time Breeders and Trailers swore to each other and every one else that didn't like PAUL that couldn't stand him or his , attitude or his sorry mixed breed PRO dogs they said. Many swore they would...... never...... own......anything...... nothing...... from Paul..... and...... especially not off.....PRO!

I remember them slandering PAUL and his hounds to me and anyone else that would listen off the record and many listened and agreed.

SO.........Now that PAUL is dead and gone...…...I notice that these SAME...EXACT.......PEOPLE.....DOG MEN........have Their kennels...….. STUFFED FULL...…. of his \ Paul Shorts Popular Winning Great PRO Dogs and licking up all the success that they can lick up off his hard work. They are on the PAUL SHORT band wagon but they have their name on Pauls Wagon....Interesting?

Hard to wrap a mind around that?

These Big Shots of the Spot and WE ALL KNOW EXACTLY WHO WE ARE...we want...... Paul's hard work, talent, ability and your kennels filled with his dogs but we still…. don't want.... PAUL!

As human beings, people \ we can sure be...……..Very Lousy..... at times........Dog men included!...……. especially over competitive.....Field Trial Dog Men.

If Paul Short was alive today...... he would be surely laughing and rubbing what is going on in Field Trials Today and what is in our kennels in all of our faces.........and we know exactly who we are......YES HE WOULD!

And you know when I look around and think about....it makes me laugh too!.....It's FUNNY...... in some ways..... and really disgusting in others.

Yea....when we stand in the mirror today while looking back.....we really got something...…. worth talking about now.

Well ... How's that?

Batter up...next?

#18 ·
Branch, Solas,

Solas….. if you really loved me and wanted me you would send me gas money.

Man yawl gonna love reading and gossiping about this tonight. Phones ringing off the hook....I can hear all the clucking and a pecking that's gonna be going on already. What an egg party!

Ok...let's go.

First thing....My peanut rolling, short on nose, stuck in the back, stuck in the past, no name, backyard, pot lickin hunting dogs that cant keep up in todays Field Trials.... can't hold a candle to the Great SPO hounds of today...especially the GREAT PRO DOGS!

The good dogs I am talking about in the post above are GREAT ONES..... for sure!

There is no wrong or right to what I posted above.....it is..... what it is....more so... what is was...….. as I said great breeders and different crosses have greatly improve it as a whole today.

It's like this....

On the one hand when you breed you always have some you keep and some you let go......CULL........in any bloodline.

So

Breeding to this hounds bloodline is no different than any other..... Except..... when you do keep one..... it is an...…. excellent one in many rearguards. A Great One..... and the good ones do HUNT.....Today! Yes they do...….and...…... Yes..... I and many others clearly remember when most of them...……..DID NOT HUNT A LICK!!!!!

Did Paul Short ever get into the HALL of FAME? If he did disregard some of what is below ….if not...…. it all applies.

What I don't understand and what strikes me very odd looking back is that Paul Shorts massive contribution to the betterment of the beagle breed especially Field Trial Dogs..... is still not good enough to get him in the Hall of Fame.

I remember when lots of us.....people.......most people...…Big Time Breeders and Trailers swore to each other and every one else that didn't like PAUL that couldn't stand him or his , attitude or his sorry mixed breed PRO dogs they said. Many swore they would...... never...... own......anything...... nothing...... from Paul..... and...... especially not off.....PRO!

I remember them slandering PAUL and his hounds to me and anyone else that would listen off the record and many listened and agreed.

SO.........Now that PAUL is dead and gone...…...I notice that these SAME...EXACT.......PEOPLE.....DOG MEN........have Their kennels...….. STUFFED FULL...…. of his \ Paul Shorts Popular Winning Great PRO Dogs and licking up all the success that they can lick up off his hard work. They are on the PAUL SHORT band wagon but they have their name on Pauls Wagon....Interesting?

Hard to wrap a mind around that?

These Big Shots of the Spot and WE ALL KNOW EXACTLY WHO WE ARE...we want...... Paul's hard work, talent, ability and your kennels filled with his dogs but we still…. don't want.... PAUL!

As human beings, people \ we can sure be...……..Very Lousy..... at times........Dog men included!...……. especially over competitive.....Field Trial Dog Men.

If Paul Short was alive today...... he would be surely laughing and rubbing what is going on in Field Trials Today and what is in our kennels in all of our faces.........and we know exactly who we are......YES HE WOULD!

And you know when I look around and think about....it makes me laugh too!.....It's FUNNY...... in some ways..... and really disgusting in others.

Yea....when we stand in the mirror today while looking back.....we really got something...…. worth talking about now.

Well ... How's that?

Batter up...next?
I have been trialing a few years ..not many, but keep hearing people mention pro and p short and him not being in the hall of fame.. but no one ever told me the reason.. never got the story on what went on and why he and his line is so scrutinized ??

#13 ·
Mitch once again you told it way it can be. Except about your own maybe. I have no idea what dog or line of dog you talking about. I’ve never owned any field trial dogs that are popular today I guess. I do have a bunch bred very similar to ones you have at home. Guess it maybe some the culls sent up north. If got anymore let me know I’d be interested

#15 ·
Mitch I knew I could get you fired up brother! I love it! haha

Like you said, great ones and culls in any bloodline. Gotta give respect where it is due!

I have a TON of Pro in my kennel. Not necessarily by design, just by the fact that some of the blood I got into goes back to him a bunch. Pro was dead by the time I got into it. In fact, I think PD Short was too. Some of the Pro in my pedigrees is it is starting to get back 6 or 7 generations. Some of my Pro-influenced hounds hunt like they should. Some of them have everything going for them except they lack hunt! 😂

I love SPO and Gundog Brace field trials. But only so much as it serves us to get better hunting hounds. Not to mention there is not much better than spending a whole Saturday watching 50 different dogs run and hunt and track rabbits, evaluating which one shows more talent and desire and which one a man could survive with if the crap ever hits the fan. And which dogs look like they know what they are doing at first glance but when you look closer a man would starve trying to get a limit of rabbits over them??? What studs and bitchlines are throwing real rabbit machines?

Admittedly, sometimes it drives me nuts to see guys and gals at these trials out in front of their dogs trying to get their dogs on the line and trying to run rabbits themselves!!! That is always a sight to see! (You feed these hounds and do their job for them???)

I am a gun hunter first and a trialer second. When MY HOUNDS get a rabbit up, I better be able to sit down on a log near that spot and enjoy my coffee until the bunny makes it back to where it started, where I can take it and help it find its way into a crock pot later! Whenever I am judging or watching a brace/trio or small pack, I always ask myself first and foremost "If I was shopping for a few hounds to take into the field and hunt with this upcoming season, which ones would I take home with me today?" Sometimes it is obvious to me which ones I would choose! Sometimes, it is such a tough decision, I would just as soon see them run another hour or so before I buy them both! Sometimes it all looks like garbage, and sometimes I am embarassed at the hounds I brought to compete with these MONSTARS (Space Jam reference...)

But at the end of the day, aside from spending the afternoon with my lovely bride or at Cracker Barrel on my fourth helping of their hasbrown casserole.... there isn't much I enjoy more than watching them hounds run!!!!

There you go Mitch, my rant is over!

Back to the dog tracking question............ lol!

#17 · (Edited)
Justin, Maturity will probably take care of it. My best dog that I have today started very mouthy. Yes, Shorts influenced. Her Full littermate Brother became a National Champion. He was very mouthy as a young dog and sold cheap because of it. I never saw him run once he was so said cleaned up so cannot speak for him. My female is 10 years old now and once she matured at about 3 years old she is honest as can be. I have found Shorts bred dogs take a little longer to fully mature. Just my opinion. I remember years ago I had three dogs off of Reaper. Two females and a male. At about 10 mouths old I was about to cull them. I then got a call from Fred Sheetz, their breeder. He asked how did I like my Reaper dogs. I was honest and told him that they were slow, mouthy and slightly lazy. Had hunt but not what I liked as mostly a gunner. He told me he knew his dogs well and asked that I give them a couple months and I would see a big change. At 14 months I would like them and at 18 months love them. I wasn't sure about it, but gave it a shot. He was correct. They became really nice dogs that I could hunt, pleasure run and yes place in trials. They just matured slow. Takes patience though. We all like them to run like mature dogs at 6 to 8 months. Sometimes the sleepers as I call them make the better ones.

#19 ·
Paul Short raised some good dogs that made the HOF. This is what I heard about what kept Paul out of the HOF. I heard he would run one of his FC dogs under a paper of another dog that wasn't that great and finish that dog. That is just what I was told and it came through people that trialed with him. Again, this is just a rumor. I have no facts to support it one way or the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.