Dog tore a nail

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Greenhaw, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:35 PM.

1. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    My old dog tore a toe nail , bad. Take it out or let it grow out? As many dogs that I have had over the years I have never had this happen. Any help.

2. Wilbur

Wilbur Member

Had it happen several times in the big running hounds it makes some extremely sore,cut the broken pieces off , disenfect regularly and let it grow out,watch for infection, hope this helps......Wilbur

3. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    How long does it take to get better?

4. Wilbur

Wilbur Member

Depends on how bad it's broke/ pulled I've had some that would go in a few days ,others didn't seem like it bothered them much but looked bad,I flush with peroxide and squirt gentle iodine on the toe it's an easy place to get infection..........Wilbur

5. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Wilber did you know a dogs toe has many bones in it? My dog can"t just break a nail, he breaks his toe. Vet said it would take a while to get over. 128 dollars later we are back at home. I guess my three one year olds will have to take up the slack. It's been 7 years since I have been gun hunting without this old dog.

6. Wilbur

Wilbur Member

Greenhaw never had one break a toe that I'm aware of,I can see how that would be different,on another note an ole timer bout 30 thirty years ago told me the best thing you could do for your young dog was leave your old dog at home, he was a real dog man and I never forgot that,hope your old dog heals up quick!...Wilbur

7. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Wilbur, it's not that they can"t run a rabbit. It"s if they open and you don"t hear old man it ant no rabbit. Got a lot of deer here. They are everywhere. I think I have them broke. I guess I will find out.

8. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Meds seem to be helping some. He is putting some weight on it. Gave him some antibiotics and some anti inflammatory.

9. Wilbur

Wilbur Member

Good deal,hopefully he'll be back in the pack before long keeping your young dogs in line.......Wilbur

10. LtELmer

LtELmer Active Member

Left my 4 yr old male home last couple times and seen a difference in them today.

11. LtELmer

LtELmer Active Member

Basicly not depending on him to be the lead and running there pace.

12. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Here I have so many deer. I have 3 young dogs that are full of fire and I know what will happen sooner or later. It takes a special dog to leave on a rabbit and cross over six deer on the way to circle a rabbit. When I got them hooked on running a rabbit I put them on a deer and did my homework. Hope I did it good.

13. LtELmer

LtELmer Active Member

I understand my young dogs hasnt gave me too much issue with off game but they know what them collars are for and ya deer are thick here too.