Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will say that tractor supply does a poor job of keeping Diamond that I feed in stock . I have to check their website before I go now .
I always liked Diamond, but it just got so hard to catch it in stock that I just gave up and went with another brand. It always seems like they have everything else, except what your looking for. Lol!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
At one point, I was thinking about mixing a better food with a cheaper food to see how it would turn out, but I never
I 50/50 mix Tops Prime Energy 24/20 with Diamond Naturals Chicken (26/16). Both are corn/soybean free. The Tops increases the overall fat level and helps me keep cost down slightly. The Diamond I believe is better feed and increases the protein. Most importantly, if I have trouble getting either brand, I can lean more on the other and the hounds are already used to eating it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I 50/50 mix Tops Prime Energy 24/20 with Diamond Naturals Chicken (26/16). Both are corn/soybean free. The Tops increases the overall fat level and helps me keep cost down slightly. The Diamond I believe is better feed and increases the protein. Most importantly, if I have trouble getting either brand, I can lean more on the other and the hounds are already used to eating it.
That sounds like a pretty good blend

·
Registered
320 Posts
What do you think about Purina dog chow? I use to feed it years ago but now use victor or diamond. Been thinking about maybe mixing but leery with corn in Purina.
I have fed black bag Pride for years but recently wasn't able to find it. I bought a couple bags of Dog Chow because I had read on this site where someone had used it and liked it. I used the Dog Chow and my dogs looked good, I have a male whose ribs are always showing. He filled out and looked good on the dog chow. Waste was moderate.

Then I bought a bag of Diamond High Protein, was not a fan. Lots of waste that smeared when I tried to shovel it.

Next I bought a couple of bags of Good Friends High Protein, price was right but lots of waste that smeared.

I just bought a couple of bags a couple days ago and I got Dog Chow again. Later when season comes in and I puts lots of hours on them I will probably try to find Pride again, but right now I'm feeding the Dog Chow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
We feed tops supreme as our yard food. It’s 24/20, and we can get it at our local feed store. Couldn’t keep weight and muscle on the ones we ran hard and trialed with.so we switched them to diamond extreme athlete and the females that are breed with pups. It’s 32/28.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have fed black bag Pride for years but recently wasn't able to find it. I bought a couple bags of Dog Chow because I had read on this site where someone had used it and liked it. I used the Dog Chow and my dogs looked good, I have a male whose ribs are always showing. He filled out and looked good on the dog chow. Waste was moderate.

Then I bought a bag of Diamond High Protein, was not a fan. Lots of waste that smeared when I tried to shovel it.

Next I bought a couple of bags of Good Friends High Protein, price was right but lots of waste that smeared.

I just bought a couple of bags a couple days ago and I got Dog Chow again. Later when season comes in and I puts lots of hours on them I will probably try to find Pride again, but right now I'm feeding the Dog Chow.
[/QUOTE
Right now I have a male and female German shepherd, 1 male beagle and 3 female beagles. The Good Friends ran out tonight and I opened a bag of Dog Chow. My old male German Shepherd got half Good Friends and half Dog Chow in his bowl all of the others got all Good Friends. The beagles are kept penned and the German Shepherds run loose on the farm, but they all get fed at the pen. I went back up to the pen about an hour after feeding tonight and all of the Dog Chow was eaten out of the male Shepherd's bowl and the Good Friends was still in it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts