Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me why these are so different in price.
Both of these are 26/18, 50lbs.

Dog food 1:
Fiber -3.0%
Moisture - 12.0%
Meat and bone meal, ground yellow corn, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, Chicken Fat.

Dog Food 2:
Fiber - 3.5%
Moisture - 12.0%
Meat meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal,ground wheat, poultry fat.

They are almost identical, yet one is $30.00 a bag and the other is $15.00 a bag. Now tell me why the difference? makes ya wonder dont it.

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its the name also. the $30.00 one has a name we all know (not Purina), the $15.00 one does not. Both can be bought almost in any part of the country.
By the way #1 is the $15.00 one.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Brian i know the name of that $30 bag you're talking about.Check this out.I was at the feed store the other day checking prices on different feed and the owner had to help a customer so he laid his supplier price sheet on the table.Well you can bet my eyes went about and looked at his price on that feed and his price was $19 and he was selling it for $28.I've always bought in bulk and bought alot over the years.I simply shook his hand and thanked him for everything and told him i would be going up the road to the other supplier from now on.I've switched over to pride now for $19.25 bag.

As to your question i think the food that's made a name for itself has increased in price within the stores and the other name brands are cheaper because they don't sell as well.You can check the ingredients like you did and find something that compares for a cheaper price.

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya Ray, and I'm all for a guy making a living, but some get greedy. I started feeding Sportsman's Pride, I am on my 5th bag now, so far I love what I am seeing. I pay $20.95 for 50lbs., got lucky today the distributer called me and said to check with the local feed store becouse they just ordered some other animal feeds from him. So I did, and now they are going to get however much I need when I need it for the same price I was paying. So now I only have to drive 12 miles, compared to the 120 miles I was driving. And I can buy as many as I want and still get that price.:D

The two feeds above:
#1 - Hunters Special
#2 - Black Gold (black bag)

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the Hunter's Special but it's cost is 19.50 a bag in Central Arkansas
Yep, just like Ray said. Someone on a different thread said they get Black Gold for $18.00 a bag. I was paying $28.00 with a discount, and buying from a distributer, go figure. Oh well what are ya going to do, we need feed!

Sorry to those listening, this thread has no point other than me venting:censored:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the only way to get Black Gold for that cheap is to buy a tractor trailer load and thats a big IF, I pay $26.75 here in KY for BG..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I feed Sportsmix 24/20 regular price is 18.00 dollars for 50lb bag. If you buy 8 bags or more he will let you have it for 17.75 a bag. I usually buy 20 bags at a time and he let's me have it for 17.50 a bag. The man i buy it from runs a large feed mill and has all kinds of feed, i think he does his own hauling and cuts the middle man out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts