Dog boxes are $ so I did this!

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Johnathan Sizemore, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Johnathan Sizemore

Johnathan Sizemore Well-Known Member

B0E28C45-D87A-47BB-BBE2-B9BFA103EC2D.jpeg 6083F140-AF05-4047-BE5A-F114014BA655.jpeg

Built this in about 3-4 hours the other day. It turned out pretty good I think!

2. Johnathan Sizemore

3. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Good job,turned out nice, I had one I made, I will have to find the picture.

4. Chipjohnson

Chipjohnson Active Member

PA
    20200220_144323.jpg
    I just built this one a couple months ago.

km, Robster, Ernest Sawyers and 9 others like this.
  5. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Nice box Chip, how heavy is it? Hey didn't you have a post about a sick dog, thought it was his pancreas, what has happened since the post?

Ernest Sawyers, TJRANGER and Circle4p like this.
  6. Johnathan Sizemore

I really like the handles/locks on your box where did you get them??

7. Chipjohnson

PA
    I bought them on wingworks.com

8. Chipjohnson

PA
    I haven't weighed it so I don't know. Its heavy enough that one person can't pick it up to load it. I set it up on the one end against the tailgate and slide it up on.
    I didn't have a sick dog I was just replying to someone else's post.

9. Johnathan Sizemore

Yeh mines pretty heavy. I haven’t weighed mine but I would say it’s at least close to Or over 100lbs

10. Johnathan Sizemore

I built mine 44” wide 24” tall and 36” deep.

11. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

I built one one time. It was way too heavy. If I had a couple kids helping me but it was just too much a bear. No way I’d do it again.
    Yours looks great though

12. Johnathan Sizemore

Thanks. It’s pretty heavy but I can wrestle it around pretty easy. It’ll do for a few years.

13. Bowguy 1

Man I pulled my stomach muscle on mine. I know sounds crazy. I powerlifted my whole life but it was too difficult

14. Johnathan Sizemore

I’ll probably keep mine on my truck 75% of the year anyway. That’s my ole “RABBIT RANGER “

15. Bowguy 1

I got lucky. A fellow won an ole dry pond 38 special box. Said it was too small for him and I got it cheap. It’s real light. Good box and perfect for me. Think I paid couple hundred.
    My shorthair fits in there no prob. She’s only 40 lbs though.

16. Rabbitfootforme

Rabbitfootforme Well-Known Member

17. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Man we used to build them all the time seemed like every year somebody needed a new box. Then we started buying some that was a lot less lighter and easier to load. But the ones we buy have top storage and you don’t stand on the one I have like the ones we used to build

18. Robster

Robster Active Member

Great boxes you two built.

Regarding the weight of them, I have two adjustable saw horses. I back up to them and slide the dog box onto the saw horses, pull up and shut the tailgate. When I want to load, just back up to the saw horses, slide it in and shut the tailgate. I dont have anyone to help me load it, and with shavings, straw and everything in the top storage I hate tipping it on it's side to rest one edge on the truck to slide it on.

19. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Robster I do the same!! Use to just throw them in but got weaker, more decreped and maybe smarter with age!! Lol

20. rienmark

rienmark Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking box