Docking tails

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by SWAMP DOG BEAGLES, Apr 6, 2010.

1. SWAMP DOG BEAGLES

SWAMP DOG BEAGLES New Member

la
    I AM NEW TO ALL OF THE REGISTERED DOGS ALWAYS HAD GRADE DOGS. I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY DOCK THE TAILS? I SEE ALOT OF THIS ON THE BLACKCREEK BEAGLES. IS THIS JUST A PREFERENCE OR IS IT BRED INTO THEM OR WHAT?:headscratch:

2. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Most people dock the tails on there hound because if the heavy briars that tare up the tails.

Down here in Ms that tails look like rat tails after a good month of running with NO HAIR on the tail. Docking the tail will help the hound so the hound will nit loose so much blood and hair.

Plus it is a personal thing also.

I personally don't dock the tail any more on my pups - Blackcreek or not.

3. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

Example: I've got a bitch that is a real aggressive hunter. Every season the tip of her tail is raw and swollen. I keep thinking about taking the tip off. I noticed lately that she didn't seem to have her usual energy after a few hours hunting. A couple weeks back she was running. I called her and she came over, thinking I was going to leash her, she sat down. I looked down and there was a steady stream of blood running from her tail for a few seconds then it slowed to a drip. I took her back to the house and put a rubber band around her tail about two inches from the end. She seems to have recovered her former stamina and can hunt/run all day once again. I didn't realize how much blood she was losing until I saw the running stream.

4. if there are briars...and your dogs have hunt!!!...they will have their tails tore all to pieces!!!....some times..just a bloody tail...and as BGLNUT said...they can get just flat skinned!!!...i do it for that particular dog!!...if it is that bad!!!...and...SOME REAL RABBIT DOGS!!!!...dont need it!!...its all about the way the dog uses its tail!!!

5. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

very true blubeagle

6. deltadog

deltadog New Member

I like to dock the tails on my hounds but not as short as some fellers do. I never understood why some only leave 3 or 4 inches...

7. i agree with you delta some are just too short for my taste.

8. Not gonna do it. Sorry. Good Lord gave them a tail for a reason, and I ain't gonna mess with that.

9. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I just like the way it looks

10. where do you dock yours????...for the looks??

11. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

I never dock tails. If the dog has an issue when grown I address it then, and I have had to have a couple done. But then I only dock the end enough to stop the problem.

12. Jeff Gammon

[​IMG]
    About like this or maybe a little longer

13. deltadog

deltadog New Member

Basically I like to cut the tips off mine. Stubs on beagles just look funny to me.

14. Jeff Gammon

Delta, the pic. I posted is of a gyp out of Major League

15. wow...that is pretty short for my liking!!...but hey...to each his own!!!...good looking hound you got there!!!

16. rosco

rosco New Member

Jeff,
    The only way that hound would look any better would be looking at him through my kennel fence.

17. TDOG

TDOG Member

I only dock a tail if they have a little crook in it toward the end of it because it has been my experience that if you dont take them off they bleed really bad.

18. Jeff Gammon

[​IMG]
    If you dont like them that short, how does this one work for you. This tail was done by deltadog. This dog is the sire to the female pictured above

19. TDOG i have noticed this too

20. How do yall dock the tails bye (cutting or banding)? If with a band is there a certain kind to use?