Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM NEW TO ALL OF THE REGISTERED DOGS ALWAYS HAD GRADE DOGS. I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY DOCK THE TAILS? I SEE ALOT OF THIS ON THE BLACKCREEK BEAGLES. IS THIS JUST A PREFERENCE OR IS IT BRED INTO THEM OR WHAT?:headscratch:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Most people dock the tails on there hound because if the heavy briars that tare up the tails.

Down here in Ms that tails look like rat tails after a good month of running with NO HAIR on the tail. Docking the tail will help the hound so the hound will nit loose so much blood and hair.

Plus it is a personal thing also.

I personally don't dock the tail any more on my pups - Blackcreek or not.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Example: I've got a bitch that is a real aggressive hunter. Every season the tip of her tail is raw and swollen. I keep thinking about taking the tip off. I noticed lately that she didn't seem to have her usual energy after a few hours hunting. A couple weeks back she was running. I called her and she came over, thinking I was going to leash her, she sat down. I looked down and there was a steady stream of blood running from her tail for a few seconds then it slowed to a drip. I took her back to the house and put a rubber band around her tail about two inches from the end. She seems to have recovered her former stamina and can hunt/run all day once again. I didn't realize how much blood she was losing until I saw the running stream.

·
Registered
560 Posts
if there are briars...and your dogs have hunt!!!...they will have their tails tore all to pieces!!!....some times..just a bloody tail...and as BGLNUT said...they can get just flat skinned!!!...i do it for that particular dog!!...if it is that bad!!!...and...SOME REAL RABBIT DOGS!!!!...dont need it!!...its all about the way the dog uses its tail!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like to dock the tails on my hounds but not as short as some fellers do. I never understood why some only leave 3 or 4 inches...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I never dock tails. If the dog has an issue when grown I address it then, and I have had to have a couple done. But then I only dock the end enough to stop the problem.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I only dock a tail if they have a little crook in it toward the end of it because it has been my experience that if you dont take them off they bleed really bad.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

If you dont like them that short, how does this one work for you. This tail was done by deltadog. This dog is the sire to the female pictured above

1 - 20 of 23 Posts