Docking tails

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by WVBeagleMan, Jun 2, 2020.

1. WVBeagleMan

WVBeagleMan Well-Known Member

WV
    I notice in several of the pictures on this site that beagles have had their tails docked. Those of you that have done it, do you think it is a worthwhile practice? Why? How has it helped you or the dog?

2. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I’m a firm believer. My old male 2 years ago had his tail worn down till he wouldn’t even hunt. Banded his tail and he’s back to his normal hunting self. And he stays busy

3. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

The obvious is no bloody tails some dogs are bleeders and if that tail gets infected they can become anemic and if the tail is sore they do not hunt as hard.

4. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

I aint ever been in a briar patch in WV but i guarantee you that in my neck of the woods it benefits your dogs.Briars are low and thick and tear your dogs up bad so it really helps.

5. Circle4p

Alabama
    Man where we run is thick and I mean thick and mean

6. smitchell

smitchell Well-Known Member

A dog losing blood from his/ her tail will definitely affect hunting and running. Take a few inches off and see the difference.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    Tail docking in beagles seems to be a southern thing, since you rarely see it north of Tennessee. Personally, I think it detracts from the look of the hound, and likely may impact the hound’s balance and agility when running. I know some people have done it to hide tail defects in their hounds (kinks, hooks, etc).

Hippy, AJ Johnson, Gpen08 and 3 others like this.
  8. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

If you hunt in terrain with few or no briars, have dogs that won'y hunt in briars, or you jump all the rabbits then long tails are fine. ;)

Actually if you have beagles that have slow tail action then they probably won't be affected by briars.
    Its usually obvious when pups start hunting, their tails get sore,and they stop often to lick their tails. Its such a nuisance that I will band their tails.

9. WVBeagleMan

WVBeagleMan Well-Known Member

WV
    My dogs hunt raspberry, blackberry and multa flora rose thickets. They wear the hair off the last couple inches of their tails by the end of season and have a bloody stump, but I don't think I have ever seen it affect their hunt.

10. mattdog

mattdog Well-Known Member

WV
    9D843FCC-E7A7-40B4-A40C-F5D1DEECBA27.jpeg When this ones tail looked like this on Labor Day weekend I decided to band the last couple inches. He’d have blood slung all over his sides sometimes before even getting a rabbit up. He’s kind of a bleeder anyway , but this slowed it down. I never noticed it affecting his hunt , but it just didn’t seem right to let him bleed as much as he was. Yeah , this is in W.V.

11. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    I think youll know it if it needs it. I had one that was NO doubt it needed it. All the rest of them look like matdogs picture, they seem to tolerate that much. I banded mine and wished Ide took another inch off. Do it right the first time if you do it.

12. Circle4p

Alabama
    All of mine have been banded or docked when they are 3 days old. They don’t bleed much at that age and mom will take care of it.

13. Marshall Rowley

Marshall Rowley Well-Known Member

Tyner nc
    I started runnin a new spot about 3 to 4 months ago..

Terrible briars!! Anyways my dog charlies tail was talin a beating ...bloody everytime we got out the woods..

I mean BLOODY....

that dog would wine and wine like it hurt him terrible...started using duct tape around his tail...he would wag it off almost everytime

Heard about banding ...didnt like the thoughts at all...

A couple weeks go by and im askin circle how to do it...
    (Hes aGood ol boy)

3 weeks go by and it came off in the woods..

His hunt is better than before..
    And no more whining..

Its the cats meow

Dont knock it till u try it

14. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I have had a lot of them that wear the hair off of their tail that I never did anything to change. I had a male that not only wore the hair off of his tail but also wore some of the meat off of it to where the bone was exposed. He was a very hard hunting dog and it definitely effected him. We had several inches of his tail removed. It definitely helped him.