Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Tail docking in beagles seems to be a southern thing, since you rarely see it north of Tennessee. Personally, I think it detracts from the look of the hound, and likely may impact the hound’s balance and agility when running. I know some people have done it to hide tail defects in their hounds (kinks, hooks, etc).

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I notice in several of the pictures on this site that beagles have had their tails docked. Those of you that have done it, do you think it is a worthwhile practice? Why? How has it helped you or the dog?
If you hunt in terrain with few or no briars, have dogs that won'y hunt in briars, or you jump all the rabbits then long tails are fine. ;)

Actually if you have beagles that have slow tail action then they probably won't be affected by briars.
Its usually obvious when pups start hunting, their tails get sore,and they stop often to lick their tails. Its such a nuisance that I will band their tails.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
9D843FCC-E7A7-40B4-A40C-F5D1DEECBA27.jpeg
When this ones tail looked like this on Labor Day weekend I decided to band the last couple inches. He’d have blood slung all over his sides sometimes before even getting a rabbit up. He’s kind of a bleeder anyway , but this slowed it down. I never noticed it affecting his hunt , but it just didn’t seem right to let him bleed as much as he was. Yeah , this is in W.V.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I think youll know it if it needs it. I had one that was NO doubt it needed it. All the rest of them look like matdogs picture, they seem to tolerate that much. I banded mine and wished Ide took another inch off. Do it right the first time if you do it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I started runnin a new spot about 3 to 4 months ago..

Terrible briars!! Anyways my dog charlies tail was talin a beating ...bloody everytime we got out the woods..

I mean BLOODY....

that dog would wine and wine like it hurt him terrible...started using duct tape around his tail...he would wag it off almost everytime

Heard about banding ...didnt like the thoughts at all...

A couple weeks go by and im askin circle how to do it...
(Hes aGood ol boy)

3 weeks go by and it came off in the woods..

His hunt is better than before..
And no more whining..

Its the cats meow

Dont knock it till u try it

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have had a lot of them that wear the hair off of their tail that I never did anything to change. I had a male that not only wore the hair off of his tail but also wore some of the meat off of it to where the bone was exposed. He was a very hard hunting dog and it definitely effected him. We had several inches of his tail removed. It definitely helped him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts