do i have a problem?

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by pa beagler, Apr 3, 2010.

1. pa beagler

pa beagler New Member

i have an 8 month old haymaker bitch. she can jump and run a rabbit. i have been running her with my older dogs. she will bark and trail sometimes and the other dogs do nothing. sometimes the other dogs get a little excited but then nothing. usually this doesn't go on very long maybe 20 yards or so then she stops she has never showed anything like a fox or deer so i don't think she is running trash. is she cold scenting or is this a competition thing because of the older dogs. should i start running her solo, should i shock her when doing this,or what i don't know. this usually happens in the morning when there is dew on the ground although it has happened when dry. is this what people mean when they say a dog is mouthy? is there anything i can do?:banghead:

2. RKW

RKW Active Member

I wouldn't shock her but I would try to get her in as many hot rabbit races as I could and she should stop this habit. She is young at 8 months and still learning. She may be smelling mice or something the other dogs won't get after. Sounds like she is opening on whatever she smells but she will figure out whats right if you give her enough rabbit tracks. You will know when she really messes up or needs to be disciplined for off game but right now I don't think thats your issue. Just my opinion.

Roger

3. pa beagler

pa beagler New Member

thanks, i'll keep runnin her and see what happens.