Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were hunting Friday and my three dogs were on a rabbit out of eyesight. The dogs broke and after I realized the rabbit either holed up or they lost it, I called them back. Two of the three came right back, but one (~2.5 yo male) took a lot longer than the others. When he got back, he was carrying a hind leg.

I took him in this morning before work and got the x-rays back... Hip is dislocated (luxated). The vet said there are two methods to fix this. First is "closed-reduction," where they basically sedate and try to pop it back in without surgery. The second option is called femoral head osteotomy (FHO), where they open it up and cut the head of the femur off. Then I guess it grows back in and the joint fixes itself on it's own.

They are going to try to pop it back in first. (Praying that this one works!) If that does't work they will have to recommend the surgery, which is much more expensive. Either way, they said he will have to rest for quite a while first, but it might not cause him problems in the long run, except maybe arthritis earlier in that hip than the other. I'll keep you all updated...

Anybody here have experience with a dog with a dislocated hip? Could your dog still hunt afterwards? Any luck with the closed reduction method?

I attached the x-ray pic. (The vet is a hunting buddy of mine... that's why it is a Snapchat screenshot... haha)

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
good luck if he were mine i would pen him alone two pen together will play an might knock it out again just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My dad had a male dog get hit by a car and dislocated his hip. Took him to a country vet he popped it back in. Dog was fine after that. He carried it up until he started running then would put it down. That is til the race once over then you had to carry him back cause he was a little spoiled lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts