deer in food plots

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by wad, Jun 26, 2020.

1. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    any suggestions how to keep them out ? We can hardly get a good food plot established any more. Ive replanted beans 3 times now. Ive been taking my days work clothes and dropping them around the edges and turning radios on at night. it works some but they get used to it pretty quick. Coons dig the corn seed up , coons are as thick as mice around here. I estimate ,lol, there could be 40 coons relocated from a 2ac corn plot in 2wk. Fur prices need to go up and boys need to be taken hunting.

2. Coon are worth nothing, however we still trap them we just tan them now instead of selling raw. The deer you will just have to deal with I think. An ADC trapper could help with the coon.

3. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Man the last 3 morning been deer bedding in my front yard lol

[email protected] and TJRANGER like this.
  4. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

Wad, I can't promise this is 100% but my uncle swore it helped in his garden. Take fishing line and run it around the plot like you was setting up an electric fence. I guess the science behind it is the fishing line makes a high pitch noise that deer can't stand, about like the whistles people put on their cars. He lived in a house tucked back in the woods and always had a nice garden. May be worth a try.

5. mattdog

mattdog Well-Known Member

WV
    I have to keep electric around my garden. It does work. But a solar powered fence charger and step in fence posts and wire adds up to a little bit.

6. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Wad I’ve not had much luck trying to keep deer out of anything unfortunately. I’ve even put electric fence around entire fields and unless you make it about 8’ tall they will jump over. Dang things eat pretty good!! Crossbows are quite!!

7. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

Deer are pretty brutal when beans are green. You can’t shoot enough out. If it’s smallish you’ll have trouble no matter what you do imo.

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.
  8. Running La. biares

Running La. biares Well-Known Member

Liquid fence, at Lowe’s keeps deer and rabbits out just spray on leaves or strips of cloth hung around garden It worked for us

9. mattdog

mattdog Well-Known Member

WV
    Two strands of electric , then about 8’ out from that run a single strand with as few step in posts as possible. They will walk into the outer strand when paying attention to the two strand fence. It’s worked for me for my vegetable garden.

10. huntahill

huntahill Well-Known Member

How big are your plots? I’ve had fairly good success with stuff called DesX it’s actually a fruit tree insecticidal soap but seems to keep deer out. Pretty inexpensive too, about $10/acre

11. M&M kennels

M&M kennels Well-Known Member

My uncle used to always use hair from his dad's barber shop put it in little zip lock bags poked holes in the bags and let rain and dew get in them when drips on the ground the deer wouldn't cross the line have to run twine around the plot or someway to hang the bags

12. Curnel

Curnel Well-Known Member

I’ve never tried that M&M but I’ve heard it works good

13. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    X2 what Curnel said. My barber told me he saves hair for a truck patch farmer he knows.

[email protected] and Curnel like this.
  14. M&M kennels

M&M kennels Well-Known Member

Yea they did a test on it fenced off a section of the fields and put the hair on the fence the deer waxed the whole area around the area they wanted to grow and it was a big difference

15. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    A guy in Michigan sprayed liquid fence around his neighbor’s property to keep deer off his land. The neighbor found out, he called State police who investigated the complaint, found out it was true, (neighbor used cameras) charges were filed and he won. Pretty large fine, charged with hunter harassment.

16. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

Just feed those deer well for now, come fall, take them out of the food plot and put them in the freezer.

mattdog, Swampman, wad and 3 others like this.
  17. Illiana hybrid

Illiana hybrid New Member

265E1B8B-7B71-4216-B7E3-75DB874274AF.jpeg

Red dog 007 and Circle4p like this.
  18. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    Are those hair bags and a scare crow? I parked my pickup in the middle one night and the only beans left were under it. NOT lol Are those sun flowers?

Red dog 007 and Circle4p like this.