Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would some of you in the know describe the running style, speed, etc. of dogs that compete and place in these trials?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
]FB,
There are a lot of guys who go to more trials than we do but here is my thoughts. Straight down the line is a must. Speed is optional. Do not over run the line. The dog has to do its own work. I would venture to say when they put the winners on the table they will be med. speed. maybe an upper med. or two. If you run 6 on speed I think you are ok. Blackjack, otis types and blackcreek types do very well. A running joke I have heard at the trials. " If you want to be in the band have a black and tan." To sum it up jump the rabbit , run the line , get the check. We are rebuilding our kennel with otis, buck and cotton country to run ds. I have a real good female that is great for rabbit hunting that is just to fast for ds. She will over run the line but catches her mistake before the other hounds catch her. You have got to run the line.
Come run one you will see good hounds and meet great folks. A little Miss. or La. cooking is always worth the drive.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rosco. That sounds like the style dog that I like. Ive heard the dogs were pretty strong and that they let em get away with over running the line as long as they cleaned it up.

Id like to try some of em this fall. Mississippi and Lousiana are alot closer to me than most of the other SPO trials.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I attend several deepsouth trials every year along with several UBGF trial and I do not see that much differance in the federations.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds good James. We need to make a trip or two down there and check it out.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
DeepSouth Field trials

FB

Come on down to Louisiana. Our club is a member of the DeepSouth and we would love to have you. Acadiana Beagle Club is located just 200 yards off of I-10, about 30 miles west of I-49. We host a Licensed SPO trial in October and December and Licensed TCP trial also in December. Our Derby trial is in February.

Check out our website: www.acadianabeagleclub.com Click on the discussion form link and there are many, many interesting topics covered there. You will find Beagle History and Club History along with a map and physical address of the club.

Looking forward to seeing you!!!!:up::up:

John Taylor

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im gonna try to make a few of em down that way this fall especially if I can get somebody else to go along and help with gas, driving, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts