Deep South and UGBF judging style?

Discussion in 'Field Trials' started by drjjones87, Jan 11, 2017.

1. drjjones87

drjjones87 New Member

I recently went to an AKC event. I had not been to a deep south trial in about 4 years. I was very disappointed in the way the dogs were judged. I went out in the 13" females and from the time we left the clubhouse until they had finished all four packs was 1 hour 45 min. That's including driving time to the cast site and switching out packs. I just don't feel you can pick the best hound in 10 min of running time. Many times hounds can start fast and fade quickly.
    I literally didn't see and pack of hounds do more than one circle of a rabbit. Help me out, is this the way the deep south and UGBF judges hounds on a regular basis? I'm not in a hurry to go eat lunch. I want to see hounds judged and the best hound on that day win.
    Josh Jones
    479-206-2198

Circle4p, JOHN MAYNARD and TJRANGER like this.
  2. drjjones87

drjjones87 New Member

In a side note: I was very pleased with the style hound that was being ran. I was impressed with the control, and speed they ran.

Circle4p, Seark and TJRANGER like this.

3. Different judges judge different but if they are getting up the faulty hounds then it may not have took them long to go through them a faulty hound usually stands out pretty fast and it doesn't take them long to get it up

Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  4. Beagler282

Beagler282 Active Member

GA
    Josh 10 min is usually all they get in most cases.I run lil female trial here in GA a few yrs back and these two judges let em run for a bit. Didn't expect that but was nice to see. I been used to PP trials but the Deep south is certainly different.

5. Ed B

Ed B Active Member

Texas

They are not all like that. As someone else said, it depends on who is judging and it also depends on the hounds entered. I was at a Deep South & UBGF trial this weekend in Western Arkansas and the little males ran so long especially the Winner's Pack that the handlers were at the point that they didn't care who won. LOL. Those two judges like letting the hounds settle in and sort themselves out I guess. And once you get to the Winner's Pack you hopefully have the truly fault hounds in the truck headed home.

So it really isn't a Deep South or UBGF thing. It has more to do with the hounds entered that day, how hard or easy they separate themselves and especially and primarily who is judging.

Circle4p, MackC and TJRANGER like this.
  6. As a judge I am not going to keep one down that's causing problems. If the dog has caused me 3 breakdowns in 10 minutes then why would I keep him down. If we rabbit hunting and he is doing then I can't kill any rabbits.

Now if they all running nice I do like to look at them and let them run a little while, if we have the rabbits to do so. But if we have a rabbit problem then you can't run them every pack 30 mins, if it's taking you 2 hours to find a rabbit. So there are a lot that goes into how long we run each pack...for me anyways.

Circle4p, Greenhaw and TJRANGER like this.
  7. drjjones87

drjjones87 New Member

Fellas, They didn't pick up but 2 dogs in 4 packs. Lol

8. Cripple Creek

Cripple Creek Site Sponsor

Drjjones87, beagle clubs are always looking for judges. I'm sure you can help a club out by offering your services.

Circle4p, TJRANGER and Clint Swofford like this.
  9. First series will be judged much quicker than 2nd on to winners pack which is most always the longest run of all.
    Judges pick up the non competitors(junk) first. Anything that is obviously not winners pack material. And it all depends what shows up to compete on that given day. I would definitly attend/compete in at least a hand full of trials in any given format before you give a good conclusion.

10. drjjones87

drjjones87 New Member

yes I'm a licensed judge. I've only done a couple.

11. Cripple Creek

Cripple Creek Site Sponsor

May need a judge for this weekend . You up for it message me.

12. drjjones87

drjjones87 New Member

I'll be attending Hattieville AR. I'm not sure if that's where you are talking about.
    Josh Jones
    479-206-2198

13. i have judged a few trials and i will say that i love watching good dogs work like nathan said i dont tolerate a faulty dog judges are there to pick 5 of the best rabbit dogs there that day and place them accordingly no there is no set time but the judges are only there to keep score of positive and negative hound work and not to referee the run the cream will rise to the top of every race i may take 30 minutes it may take 1 1/2 hours does not matter to me as long as me and the other judges agrees to our decision Mr Ed me and jacob ran the little males i think a little over an hour and sunday we ran aleast 45 minutes and anybody watching could tell you who won in both classes i have left too many field trials scratching my head about what just happened so my goal at each trial is to pick the best rabbit dogs that day and allow anybody that is watching see why we placed the dogs the way we did no everybody wont always agree with the decission but that is just part of field trialing

Circle4p and Seark like this.
  14. Ed B

Ed B Active Member

Texas

Cody, I would run under you anytime! I have no problem with a judge leaving them done for a while. If mine run out of gas like my big gyp did in winner's pack this past weekend, then I just need to get her in better shape for next time. You guys did a good job.

Circle4p and Seark like this.
  15. darron dowell

darron dowell Member

Circle4p likes this.
  16. darron dowell

darron dowell Member

Good morning give me a call I ask you a question on some certain style of beagles bloodline.I don't trail but you may know how these style run my darron dowell my number is 9018702575

Circle4p likes this.
  17. JOHN MAYNARD

JOHN MAYNARD Well-Known Member

Xxxxxxxx ????? XXXX

Circle4p likes this.
  18. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Well-Known Member

Tn
    I don't judge dogs but I do judge Tennessee Walking Horses. When 10 come into the ring. I have the bottom five culled in a very few minutes. Then I have the rest of the class to tie1-5 I would think trials are much the same. To me it would be easier to pick the culls than pick the best out of 5 good dogs.