Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female is due in a under a week now so I moved her the the whelping box but she seems very upset to be in there . She is constantly barking I've never had this problem and thought I would ask if anyone has ever experienced this ??

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yea thats why I will usually put mine in sooner so they get use to being in there and there's no stress so close to her whelping date. My whelping kennel is under the shade of a big oak facing my dog kennels also so she can come out of the brood box into the run and still see what all is going on and not just isolated.

I'm sure she will settle in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Probably should've had her in there a little sooner IMO but she should settle down and get her spot ready with no issues.
I put mine in the same dog house she was born in three years ago and I have it set up with rails the same as before. Their were five females and one male in that litter and they all lived! Hoping for the same results🤞 That brings up a question I have. Does the size and make up of a litter [number of pups and how many males and females] influence the litter/litters of the females of that litter?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey, she is like me, doesn't like change. She will settle in and start setting up the place like she wants it.

I can't handle change these days. If anything is moved or the way I do my daily activities each day is changed, I am completely lost. Pen and pad is my mine these days. I see that I may have to carry them around my neck soon, as memory is off and on, more off then on these days. When it works I take advantage, as a moment later I am lost again!! Getting old is fun!!!! Isn't it???
I have a lot of saved information on this computer and in my Data, so this computer also serves as my memory. I see soon the youngsters won't even need a mine of their own, since they can just ask Alexia, I think that is what is it called.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This may sound too "old school" but I had the same situation as you about 8 yr ago, a hot June start and a bitch about to welp. I had brought her out and cabled her to a low limb under the hard maple in the front yard to stay cool. We left for the day and returned that night from visiting our children. When I went out to put her back in the kennel, she had dug a hole between two large roots at the base of the tree and was there with 7 healthy puppies nursing. She and all the pups seemed very content and comfortable in the cool dirt so I went into the house and left them there to not upset the apple cart as it was. A few days later it was forecast to rain so I took a plywood box out to the tree and laid it on it's side and figured she would move them into the box if she wanted and that's what happened. Those pups were raised in our front yard under the maple tree until they got big enough to start tearing up the wife's flower bed, then they had to go to the yard barn fenced in to control their wanderings.
Just to remind all the show dog people, dogs have been having pups in dirt holes long before we ever had welping boxes...lol

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
This may sound too "old school" but I had the same situation as you about 8 yr ago, a hot June start and a bitch about to welp. I had brought her out and cabled her to a low limb under the hard maple in the front yard to stay cool. We left for the day and returned that night from visiting our children. When I went out to put her back in the kennel, she had dug a hole between two large roots at the base of the tree and was there with 7 healthy puppies nursing. She and all the pups seemed very content and comfortable in the cool dirt so I went into the house and left them there to not upset the apple cart as it was. A few days later it was forecast to rain so I took a plywood box out to the tree and laid it on it's side and figured she would move them into the box if she wanted and that's what happened. Those pups were raised in our front yard under the maple tree until they got big enough to start tearing up the wife's flower bed, then they had to go to the yard barn fenced in to control their wanderings.
Just to remind all the show dog people, dogs have been having pups in dirt holes long before we ever had welping boxes...lol

While growing up on the farm, the free roaming dogs had pups born under the born, house, or any building or type shelter they could get in or under. Many times you didn't know how many they had until they were strong enough to come out and follow their Dam around. We didn't have that problem since we only kept males, but neighbors in the area had free roaming mutts. They never got shots, probably never wormed and all survived.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well just an update on my female I had bred her 65 days ago and thought she was pregnant... unfortunately I took her in fpr x rays yesterday due to no pups yet . They told me she has an infected uterus which causes swelling and gives the impression of a dam carrying pups .. in short they could do surgery for 2000 dallars but didn't recommend it and seemed scared to proform thinking it was really risky . They reccomended antibiotics for 14 days and to see if she pulls out of this on her own .. im pretty upset over this due to the fact of how smooth of a dog she is and to me not replaceable and unable to breed to in the future...provided she survives this . I have been trying to get over to the us for over a year to complete my kennel and this is just another nail in the coffin . Im working hard on being able to get across in the month of July provided I can even find 3 female weircreeks now that would suit me .If not my kennel will suffer for a while again due to the Corona virus and just bad luck . I feel pretty crushed that I can't breed my own dogs now because she is my only female and can't find what I want here in Canada. My female is a sweetheart and im hoping for some prayers from people and that she at least recovers to enjoy what I love in the woods with me for some more great seasons .. a sad end to a post I made that I never saw coming thanks for the responses guys god bless

·
Registered
495 Posts
I’m really sorry to hear that, and can totally understand your disappointment and frustration. I do however encourage you to believe all things happen for a reason, and GOD is still answering prayers. I will actually pray GOD will give you even better than what you have or might have thought you were going to have. Stay positive Buddy!!
And thanks for the update!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts