Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hunt with a Thompson Contender with a 410 barrel?
I plan to try it this year. It has a pretty good pattern to 30 yards. 20 yards is better.
I just kill one now and then anyway.
On another note, have you priced 410 shells lately?
I was looking on the net last night and what I could find was 30 to 35 dollars a box.
So I thought I would just load some but I need shot. It was 75 and up for a bag of shot.
I can make my own shot but it is some work. For that price it is worth it though.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Et, try graf and sons in Missouri. They've got copper plated shot in stock they will ship. Not sure what shipping cost is, but I stopped there last wk and picked up a handful of bags of 5 and 6 shot. It's good lawrence magnum high antimony copper shot. Was 35 a 10# bag. They told me they had hundreds of bags in stock. Each bag will make 320 1/2oz .410 loads. Which, even with today's powder and primer prices, you can load some high quality .410 rabbit loads for under $7 a box. I bought it mainly for pheasant loads in my 20 and 28, but some will get loaded for my contender .410 for rabbits also.

If a person shoots much .410, it doesn't take long at all to pay off a loader. It and 28ga are very sizable savings over factory ammo right now. Mec 600jr I bleve is 150 bux new now. If 410 shells in store are 20bux a box, you could have your loader paid for in savings in well under 2 cases of shells!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That's what I figure too ET. All components will last a darn long time if kept right. I stock piled enough components to load 5 thousand 20ga target loads a few yrs ago at a price I can load for $4.50/box. Glad I did. It's closer to $6.50 or $7/box now if I went and bought same stuff. If I find a real deal on shells or components any more, and it's something I know I will use, I just buy um, no 2nd thoughts.
What was the shipping cost on 20# of shot? just curious.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Also, if anyone is in same boat as I, and ran out of win 209 primers and wondering about the cheddite primers being ok, I found data for a load tested by precision reloading for the .410 with win 296 and the cheddite primer. . The load is not published data from a manual, it's from someone sending the load in to be pressure and safety tested and it is more than safe.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KM I use the same powders as you.
Shipping is 12 dollars and change. They say they charge that amount for all on line orders unless you want to chose the carrier then whatever that rate is I reckon.
I have used Cheddite primers in 12 gauge quite a bit and they were fine.

Beagle Man that is a lot better price than I had found for loaded shells.
I am like you about not killing very many. That should not be a problem with the Contender. Ha
I don't intend to take long shots though. Thinking 25 or less.
I will say I was a little surprised in the pattern out to thirty yards. Much better than I expected. Not a dense pattern but not bad.
I ordered 6 shot so I hope it patterns as good.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Have been using an TC encore pistol with 12" .410 for quite a while and love it. I don't shoot many these days. Reloaded a few, used win 296 and #6. Some of the.410 hulls are not very durable, have to watch for cracks or splits. Was lucky enough to find decent price on case of Remington 3" #6 and haven't bothered reloading since, but might start up again when they run out.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will be my first try at rabbits with the 410 barrel. Had been wanting to pick up a contender for a while. Had them before but it has been a while and then only in rifle cartridges. This one came up with a 22 hornet barrel which is more fun than I would have thought.
Then I bought the 410 barrel. They don't give away barrels now days.
I would like to have a .41 magnum barrel. They are quite fond of that barrel also it seems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts