Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very light broom keeps surface from becoming slippery. Remember to slope so water runs off in direction you want and broom in that direction to help with drainage. Easy cleaning with shovel and hose. During summer months I wash it down with Dawn, (scrub with broom), rinse.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I think that I am doing to make mine out of decking boards and stain & seal it . That will probably last me until I am out of dogs . I just know how hard concrete was on my feet at work . I put laminate flooring in my house and it is harder on my feet than carpet .

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
As you can see there are lots of advice and opinions! That is good. I actually did a test with mine when I built. This is what I found out:
1)sloped it at about 3”-4” for the 12’- wished I had sloped at 6” for quicker runoff
2) fine broomed 1 pen rest smooth finish- smooth finish cleans up much better/ no residual left. I have to use a stiff brush on the lightly finished.
3) as suggested seal it before use. This pays off dividends down the road. The one I lightly broomed I didn’t seal and It smells and has urine/feces stains. I have had to bleach it several times. The smooth that I treated no smell at all and I bleach it monthly just to sanitize.
These are the things I found out by trial and error.
wish you the best with your build.
One other note and one I havnt completed yet is adding trough to rinse off to and at end add septic( plastic barrels work great) and run a little leach line. I have my trough done and my barrels and leach line in just not connected yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
Another note: instead of bleach I use peroxide to sanitize pens. It doesn’t burn or irritate their eyes or noses. I take a cheap .99 bottle and put in my 3gal backpack sprayer and finish filling with water and spray flooring, wire and monthly houses. Let it sit a bit and rinse it off. Kills all germs and not as hard on human, plants or animals.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My own runs are 15x20 and slope 6 inches front to back. I keep 2 or 3 hounds per run. I have a trough at the back that runs down to a drain. (Be sure to put an extra foot or so of concrete around the outside and across the drain to catch any overspray).

I pick up all droppings daily and hose everything down about once week. I never use any bleach or anything except water. Stays very clean. Was sealed prior to use, so very little doggy smell. And no fleas, worms, etc.

5A3EC84A-F632-4670-9FBD-E04C98542BF6.jpeg

As I said before, I like the brushed surface similar to a sidewalk. Brush toward drain as someone said. Hounds (and people) don’t slip on it. When our border collie comes in the garage where we have the slicker surface, she sometimes wipes out running around the cars if her feet are wet. Funny to watch, but I don’t want hounds getting injured in kennels that way.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree with what Tater said. That’s what I’ve had at three locations including my latest setup! Never any issues at all and very sanitary!! Even light broom finish has given some of my friends issues. JMO
Good Luck and enjoy whatever you decide!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Smooth concrete is slick, a couple of slips while washing the dog dung will convince even the most "doubting Thomas" A light broom finish gives direction and grip to the floor. A quick wanding of the pressure washer on a good sloping floor allows for clean and dry hounds in short order. esp. if a fan is turned on it. Stink comes from wetness on a porous floor, the less water used to get the job done and the quicker dried, the better.
This costly investment is best done right the first time. Good slope, good drainage and plenty of fresh air, SE sun exposure. Best of luck...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts