Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the raised kennels best. I don't like the wire floor but prefer the greenhouse grates for flooring. I only have to clean out underneath them about once a year if that often. I've sprinkled lime on occasion to keep the odor down. I tried the concrete and didn't like having to clean it off every day. I have a Seneca Double that I put landscape paver blocks 14"x14" at the entrance to the dog house to help keep toe nails wore down (it doesn't work lol) I also added a front porch so I can handle dogs on it. I also have (4) 5'x10' Preifert kennels and (1) 10'x10'set up on a platform covered with the greenhouse grates. I can move it with my tractor to scoop the poop away when needed...so far I haven't needed to. I usually only keep one dog per kennel so there isn't much waste build up. It's only off the ground about a foot. Easy to handle dogs in and out of. The Seneca's are nice but the dog houses don't last and I don't like the wire flooring. To me the perfect set up would be a seneca double style built with skids or wheels to make moving it easier, with greenhouse grate floor, built on front porch and a better quality dog house.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
I moved away from dirt and gravel floors years ago. I've had no parasites since. I now have concrete kennels and above ground also. Both are clean, the above ground stays drier as my concrete doesn't have a roof. Right now I keep the dogs I'm trialing on the concrete, it helps toughen their feet. My non trial dogs I keep above ground.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Ag lime 6in deep drains good and they can dig holes to cool off in summer. It levels off easy with a shovel when you want. There is loose particals on surface that lets stools rake up easily. Keeps nails short and pads tough. Have never had worm problems. Its hard but softer than concreat. I did dig the bottom in 6in to keep them from digging out. If you clean pens daily ,3 pens, it takes less than a minute and you can keep it scattered where ever. Itwill keep racoons out of your sweet corn.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Concrete by far, all my kennels under a roof so i build plywood houses with flat roofs so they lay on top up off the concrete. Sloped with a 6 inch curb on the back washing waste into a 4 inch pipe runnin to a concrete septic tank with 60 ft of field line running off it. Easy to wash down , no odor , dogs stay healthy n parasite free.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
I would like to add something I think I've learned from using chain link kennels. The bottom piping always seems to rust pretty quick, when the sides and top last forever. Even when you have them raised a little off the ground. I replaced all of mine this spring. They are on concrete so every day when I hose them off I take a little extra time and spray off the bottom pipe. Seems like the male dogs love to pee on them. Maybe they will last longer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would like to add something I think I've learned from using chain link kennels. The bottom piping always seems to rust pretty quick, when the sides and top last forever. Even when you have them raised a little off the ground. I replaced all of mine this spring. They are on concrete so every day when I hose them off I take a little extra time and spray off the bottom pipe. Seems like the male dogs love to pee on them. Maybe they will last longer.
I am seeing the same issues with the bottom rails on the male side of the kennel. Some kennels make a wall a couple of concrete blocks high and sit the chain link on top of them. Another option might be to dip the lower fencing in a rubber coating to protect it.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The pens that I am getting are coming off a concrete slab. I don't mind spending the money for concrete but I kinda like the cross tie idea. There is a concrete plant close by. They have a pile of mix and sand and dry concrete that they give away. I got two dump truck loads and spread it on a low spot on a gravel road. It got hard and is still there. I can fill each pen up almost to the top of the ties. Almost 6in deep.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts