Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I built a new kennel 4 yrs ago. Concrete runs 15x20 sloping 6 in front to back to a drain. Ran water line to it. Nicest kennel I have ever had. Would not want anything but concrete now. Expensive, but has made my cleanup duties so much easier. When the stool and urine gets in the gravel, I don’t know how you will get it out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I dont think concrete cuts down on life but it can definitely play a part on joints. Put a house with a flat roof or a porch for them to lay on. My uncle has had the same concrete kennel for 25 yrs. Still looks new and his dogs live to 12 yrs old on average. Cleanest kennel ive ever seen.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Concrete all the way Greenhaw!! Like already stated, I’ve had it all and wouldn’t go back to anything else. Easy clean, toenails in shape, less chance of spreading infectious disease/virus, etc. as long as kept clean and disinfected. I spray 12.5% bleach about every 3 months. It’s worth every cent to me!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I’ve got both. One disadvantage of pea Gravel is your always having to add to it amazing how it will disappear in just a few years. It’s also harder to keep clean Concrete is so much Easier to clean and a lot less Maintenance It also seems easier to control fleas and Parasite Down side is the concert is going to cost more If putting inside be sure to add a good drain system. For cleaning and pressure washing pens

·
Registered
449 Posts
i have had beagles on wire, gravel, and concrete. I like the concrete best. With gravel I had to bury fencing to keep them from digging out. Wire had to keep nails trimmed. I do keep a wooden "porch" in the concrete kennel. Some days they will lay on the porch and others they will lay under it, depending on the weather. Have not had any negative physical issues with dogs on concrete. I think it is easier to clean and sanitize.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wire fencing Chain-link fencing Animal shelter Mesh Fence What I ended up with after years of experimenting was lay down cross ties In 10x10 patterns and put 6” of screening (thats what they call it at the rock quarry) in the squares. Then I set the kennels on top of the cross ties. It cleans easy, drains well and doesnt smell near as bad as dirt. Packs hard and keeps nails down. I don’t think its as good as concrete but I can afford it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts