Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so everybody knows whats going on, Kerry and I talked about having another two trials in two days this fall. Game and Fish is probably gonna want them to be in September but I dont personally want to do one that early. As most of yall know it can be close to 100 here in September and humid too. Its almost miserable to even run dogs at night sometimes, much less have a trial. If everybody is OK with it we're gonna try to get em to let us have it in November or December depending on what dates the other clubs have their trials.

There's not going to be a US Championship for Gundog Pack this year. I talked to Jim Clifton about us having it here in Arkansas but doing it as a combined effort of our club, his club, and E. Kansas. Everybody pays an equal part of trophies, providing judges, and everything that else that goes along with putting on a trial. He said it was a good idea and he'd talk to Dan and the NKC about it but I havent heard anything back from him yet so I dont know if thats gonna work out or not.

If it does our fall hunt will probably that one.

Thats where we stand right now.

Any comments, ideas, or suggestions?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Everything sounds good i like Dec better Nov has alot going on in it opening of gun deer season and duck but i'll do eighter month

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry is talking with game and fish about the dates. We're trying to get December and March. March probably isnt going to be a problem but December doesnt look very promising. We might have to go with September but I sure dont want to.

The guy that manages that area doesnt like beagles for some reason and we're having a hard time dealing with him.

Another problem we're coming up against is that another beagle club is trying to start up out there. Thats not gonna help us at all.

·
Banned
469 Posts
I tried to push it back as far as I could in September.I applied for September 18-19.I hope they will let us have it in December instead but from what I am hearing so far I wouldn't count on it.If by some chance they do it will be December 11-12. I applied for our spring hunt to be March 5-6 or March 19-20don't know for sure yet which one we will get.I am supposed to know something for sure by July 8.I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, we're still having a problem with game and fish.

They werent going to let us have one at all this fall, now theyre saying we can possibly do one in September which I only want to do if we have to. Its gonna be way too hot then on the dogs and on us.

We want a date in November or December but they dont want to give us one. Ive left 4 messages for Brad Carner of game and fish to call me back so I could talk to him about it but he hasnt returned my calls yet.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally talked to Brad Carner today and I think we're gonna be able to work something out!

He wants to meet us over there and let us show him the areas that we're wanting to use. He said a club that was there before us gave em alot of problems and that they werent very organized. Anythime they went to them with a complaint they told them that they didnt know who to tell, etc.

I told him that we were well organized and would have a master of hounds and officers of the club that would be at all the hunts so theyd know who to come to.

I also told him we didnt want free reign over the whole area, just access to some of those fields near the headquarters.

Due to my job I dont know when I can get out there but if I cant make it Kerry can probably swing by there and handle it for us.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds good FB my work is pretty busy this time of year but if need be let me know not that i would be much help not knowing the area

Kerry pm me your add i know my dues are up and how much for the life time

FB I know last trial we was missing like one collar color for a ful set of 7 colors if you will let me know what color or colors we would need to have like 3 or 4 whole sets i will take care of it
And how much are the trophy's for one trial and i will try to help with that

One more thing i was thinhing about and i think i seen somewhere that ARHA i will not let you do a raffel to help with the cost of the trial alot of the AKC trials I go to raffel off few bags of dog food maybe a gun and some small stuff just what i was think to help with cost

Thanks
James

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as raffles, this is from the rulebook:

5. Awarding of prizes donated by dog food companies is left to the discretion
of the Club.
6. No cash prizes may be awarded without the permission of the ARHA/NKC.
7. No Calcutta, shotguns, or other significant awards may be given.

8. Raffles are permitted.
It says that we cant give them for prizes, but we might look into raffling off a shotgun or dogbox if yall want to do it and we can find one cheap enough. I figure we'd have to invest around $200 in either one then maybe sell the tickets for $5 each? We'd have to sell 40 to break even.

Thanks for the offer on the collars. We've got enough for a cast but we need either one or two more colors to have enough for the winners pack.

We also need a measuring stand. The one I have is OK for me to use around here but its not what we need for a trial. Thats gonna cost around $100 to get a "good" one. Kerry and I loaned the club some money on the first hunt but we cleared enough to get it back plus have a little left over. I cant remember how much it is but Kerry will know.

The good news is that I met with Brad Carner yesterday and we drove around and looked at some other places to run and worked out a deal that will give us ALOT more area to run on. Its a 15 or 20 minute drive from the clubhouse but that wont be that big of a deal. Its almost perfect for a trial. Its mostly sage and other warm season grass with a few thickets scattered around. Itll be fairly easy to watch the dogs.

They tentatively approved December 11 and 12 for us which is also good imo. We'll know for sure next week but Im sure thatll be the date.

We'll probably make the 11th a club hunt and the one on the 12th be a state hunt. If we do a raffle we should give it away at the state hunt. Thatll give us one extra hunt to sell tickets for it.

A buddy of mine owns a sporting goods store. If yall want me to Ill talk to him and see what he can get me a shotgun for. The winner would have to go to his store and pick up the gun. That way we dont have to mess with any kind of background check, etc.

Any ideas and Im open to em. We've come along way with this thing and its starting to look like its going to work out for us. If we can get more members, more entries at trials, and keep honest and fair judging, I think this format will go over well here and be popular.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really like the box idea and like the looks of bellboxes on this site he may would cut us a deal on one if so we may would be able to get a 4 wheeler box to everyone is allways want one of them. The only down fall to a gun is that out of state people would have to make another trip down to get there gun from the sproting good store. people are all ways needing collars and leads i would think get all we can get put it all on a table sale a 5 dollar ticket and first number pulled gets first pick and so on till out

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think a 4 wheeler box is a good idea and thats a good point on the gun. Something that you didnt have to mess with the government with would be alot easier on us.

I cant get em free but I can get a good deal on some leads, collars. We could print up a certificate and they could order em straight from the guy. That way we wont have to keep up with what they want on the tags, shipping, etc.

I know a guy that will make a leather lead and customize it with your name for $15. We could buy a couple of them and do the same thing. Just give a certificate and let them order it from him and us pay for it.

Come up with all the small stuff we can, then draw for the box last or something like that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok I've been working on donations

Tri Tronics is going to give something not sure what but trying to get shock collars

Mule Hunting Clothes is giveing some Hats and T-shirts and and maybe paints or chaps

:clap:

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anything we can get as prizes/raffle items will help, no matter how small it is. Feed/water bowls, dog food, leashes, tie outs, anything dog or hunting related.

Im going to talk to the guy I buy my food from and see what if anything they can do for us.

If Mule and Tri Tronics give us something like that tell them that we will put their logo or graphic on our website. We can even put up a banner for them at the hunt if they have one we can use.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive got an idea for door prizes.

Give someone a ticket for each dog they enter in the trial. If you enter one you get one ticket, two dogs you get two tickets, etc. Put each ticket in a jar and once entries are closed, draw for a Mid Ark Beagle Club hat or two. Theyll cost us a little bit of money but we can order a few extras and use them for raffle items too.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
James-If they dont want to give away chaps (I can understand because they probably get asked by alot of people) ask em if theyll sell us a pair or two at cost. Maybe we could just give away a certificate for them. That way whoever wins can get the right size.

We can spend a little money on some things and get it back when we take in the money for the raffle tickets. The main thing is to have alot of stuff, even if its small.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts