Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone still use a clothesline ? I like the smell of my clothes from a clothesline and a lot of my hunting stuff you can’t put in the dryer . So I have been working on putting me up a clothesline the last 2 days instead of the rope I had running across the 6x6 post to my porch . I had this wood laying around , so I went at it . I will let the concrete set for 3 days and then string it and cut some braces for the arms .
2936B931-1E32-4454-9AC4-836B94CA8B33.jpeg

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Does anyone still use a clothesline ? I like the smell of my clothes from a clothesline and a lot of my hunting stuff you can’t put in the dryer . So I have been working on putting me up a clothesline the last 2 days instead of the rope I had running across the 6x6 post to my porch . I had this wood laying around , so I went at it . I will let the concrete set for 3 days and then string it and cut some braces for the arms . View attachment 55198
Marshall,

Looking like your doing a great job!!!! Listen to the hounds while your cloths are drying!!!!

This was the only cloths dryer I knew while growing up !!! I remember back in 1969 when I went to work, my grandparents raised me. My Grandmother was a hard working women. They were farmers and she probably worked harder then the men. She worked in the fields, at around 10AM she came in and prepared lunch for the men and all of the hired help. When everyone else was taking it easy after lunch, most napping until time to go back out to work, she was cleaning up the kitchen, washing dishes and putting up the left over food if any. She was out and working at the same time as the others. Same in the evening, plus cloths to wash. They had replaced the old ringer type washing machine with an automatic washer. When I was able to purchase a cloths dryer for her I did. Before the cloths was hung out. In 1969 was the last year that they farmed. They enjoyed their retirement for six years. Not wealthy people, but good people who worked hard for what they had. Unfortunately she suffered a Massive Stroke in 1975. I was married by then, lived next door. We lived a year next to them. They loved my wife and so did she love them. If I had to do it all over again I would gladly do it. I would love to relive it all if I could !!! Old Memories I can remember, but recent things I cannot. I have issues remembering minutes before these days.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She sounds a lot like my nanny ( grandma ) . Her and my grandpa had a small 40 acre tobacco farm . They raised some hogs , cattle and chickens for meat and eggs . They had a milk cow for a long time . They had bees and fruit trees and grew a big garden . They were working all the time . I can remember planting tobacco plants by hand , until my grandpa got a planter . The men would pick the tobacco and the women would tie it . I mostly drove the tractor and pulled the sled and hung it in the barn . It amazed me how fast the women could tie the tobacco . Mainly my mom , aunts and nanny and my uncles and grandpa in the fields picking . I can remember my nanny carrying two buckets of water down to the field , a bucket in each hand so that the men could get some water . Along with all of that it was the garden and canning and making preserves , she made the best preserves and jarring honey . My grandpa didn’t put on a suit , he just used the smoker . He got stung, but it didn’t bother him that he showed . All of that and we still had time to fish some with my nanny , and mama and one of my aunts . That was in Sunday . I miss that . Things would slow down a little in the winter , just kill a couple of hogs and a cow and hunt . My grandpa had beagles . I can remember going to trails with him . He didn’t compete , he just watched .

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking this morning about using a retractable dog leash as the line with a tension bolt on the end . That way the line stays clean . I just don’t know how tight I could get it without breaking it .

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Had a number of cloths lines over the years. Best and longest lasting has been made of 3" well casing. T with forward angle brace towards the inside to brace against the weight and inward pull of wet clothes and bedding (amazing how much weight of wet cloths puts strain on poles) even a T support in the middle of the span helps lessen the load...Fading is lessened if you hang them inside out...;)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go ask him if you can buy it and dig it up and paint it . My uncle gave me one that he made out of pipe . He said he got tried if driving around it cutting the grass so he dug it up and busted all of the cement off of the poles . I didn’t use his because I don’t know how long that I am going to stay here . It is just laying behind my kennels . Since he made it I wouldn’t want it to stay here and I don’t want to dig it up like he did with that concrete . He had it concreted 31 inches deep it looks like from the stain line on the poles .

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I am thinking this morning about using a retractable dog leash as the line with a tension bolt on the end . That way the line stays clean . I just don’t know how tight I could get it without breaking it .

You can buy clothsline wire on Amazon fairly cheap. That would probably be your best bet. My Grandmother use to wipe the line off before hanging her cloths on it. The wire wasn't very tight. I remember she would hang the cloths, being a short lady the cloths would hang very low, but a board with a V notch in one end was used to prop the clothsline wire up about half way between the two poles, keeping the cloths from touching the ground. Trying to put enough tension on the wire to try to keep it from sagging would be almost impossible.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Make sure you use fabric softener in the wash so when hanging on the line the clothes don't end up stiff.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just about finished it yesterday , I was just short on some hardware if I am going to use all 4 lines , which I am not . I will probably use 2 at the most . I was going to put a center post in so it wouldn’t sag in the middle , but I am just going to use a 2x2 and cut a v notch in it and see how that works . I have a lot of tension adjustment in the line so I can easily take the line off when not using it . Then I don’t have to worry about bird crap on it and wiping off the line every time I use it . It is just as fast to put the line on and it will probably last longer . I only wash 1 or 2 loads a week .
E62539FD-6C36-4F32-8862-D01F39A62DEF.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts