Choose Just One

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by RKW, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

If you could choose just one bloodline to run what would it be and why. I hope everyone will give your opinion because I would like to know and I'm sure others would too! Thanks for participating.

Roger

2. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

weircreek lots of brains and hunt med to med fast on foot just have had better luck with them

3. cdp

cdp New Member

i run striker blood line. like the speed and the nose and the hunt. i also have a trails male that i plan on breeding to one of my striker females to bring in some more brains and hunt

4. plumber

plumber Active Member

Easy for me, BLACKCREEK I havent seen anything that suits me better. They are true Med. speed, have second to none line control. Some do have extra mouth, but all seem to give alot of it when on a rabbit, and I love that. I dont like tight mouth dogs. :thumb:

5. bseger

bseger New Member

Hard to pick just one but mine would be either inline blackjack,or his son postoak little nip otis. They both are great producers, most pups have tons of hunt, start easy,good kennel manners,and line control. Most of my dogs has one or both of these great little hounds in their pedigree.

6. RKW

RKW Active Member

I know it is hard to pick just one. So far the first 4 post have chosen 4 different bloodlines with good reasons for each. It will be interesting to see which bloodline starts to show more favor. Keep posting guys. Thanks

Roger

7. mcstriad

mcstriad New Member

I've been running a variety of local lines since I started with beagles 4yrs. ago. Just bought an 18month male out of Stubby lines an a 4yr. old out of Batman. I've got one of my older gyps bred to the new male. From what I've seen so far, they're about the same medium to medium-slow that we already run. They both also seem to have pretty good hunt, line control, and handle good. The Batman gyp is a little hardheaded, but I think it's a result of not being handled much before I got her. We'll see!

8. mcstriad

mcstriad New Member

Planning on breeding the Stubby male to the Batman gyp next year. Any thoughts?

9. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

They get my vote too.

I think what you said about them being producers is very important and generally speaking I also like their foot speed and that they tend to have gears and brains. Theyll step it up a little bit when conditions are good and slow it down when they arent.

Like I said, all of this is generally speaking. Ive seen dogs out of this line that Id love to own and others that I wouldnt want if you gave em to me, but overall they suit me pretty good.

10. it hard for me to pick just one blood line because i'm just getting into reg. dogs

11. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

Blackcreek. They do what I want. They hunt with me, I don't hunt with them. Are pretty smart, easy to handle. Have descent hunt, pretty good line control. And there is no hound prettier to me than a bob tailed, dot eyed, long eared, blackcreek breed beagle. Notice I said to me, I am sure some people hate they way they look

12. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

I have Shorts Pro in just about every hound I own. I like it, however I think the cross is what makes the hound. But for now I will say Pro.

13. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    Roger

As you know by now, I'm experimenting a little with some young Choptalk Little Cooter, Clear cut Gomer and Flat Creek hounds. They have both good and bad points but I am not convinced yet. My personal favorite bloodline is old Blackcreek(With some Oak River Decker or Stacy)crossed on some of the old Pearson Creek. These were very tough, super hard hunting, all day types that could trial, pleasure run or hunt without embarrassing you too much. I miss them alot when I see where I am now....

14. RKW

RKW Active Member

I'll just buy your culls James I seem to be running pretty good now. lol Just kidding about the culls, that's one thing they are not. We just came in the house from running a rabbit out back for over 2 hours. Thanks for selling me Trixie. Hope Lane's not mad at you? She ran great this afternoon.

Roger

15. john c

john c New Member

Im not sure if i have a favorite line but my male i have here has alot of flat creek breeding back in his ped both top and bottom. He has extreme hunt and is the smartest beagle i have ever owned. He listens well and always tries to please me. Hes got a decent snow nose also. He will beat himself up in the briars to get to a rabbit. :D

16. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    Roger

Look at the ped below. This is the litter that will be here around the first of March out of the lemon and white female and my young male . She looks to be going to drop a load of them. Guess I'll be experimenting some more .

http://www.espomagazine.com/pedigrees/12040.htm

17. RKW

RKW Active Member

OK you got me I'm speaking for one now! Female if you can. That's got to turn out running dogs. If they bark half as good as their parents they will let the world know they're coming.

18. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I dont want to hijack this thread but if you ever have a Flat Creek female pup that you want to sell I might be interested depending on how many dogs I have at the time. Ive got what I consider a pretty decent young male thats Flat Creek top and bottom. Id like to breed him someday but he's an outcross for me right now and Im not ready to do that just yet.

19. BRamsey

BRamsey Moderator

I have a young female that goes back to Del Ray Stubby and Dingus Mcrae that I like very well. I also have a six year old male that goes back to Stubby and Gay Baker that is a very good dog. I've only had beagles for a little over a year so I don't have much experience with the different bloodlines. But I like these dogs very well so I have just put a deposit down on a couple of Gay Baker/Dingus Mcrae cross pups. 3/4 Gay-1/4 Dingus Supposed to get them about the middle of May. Can't Wait

20. rosco

rosco New Member

Nip is the guy, You might not like em but it is hard to bet againest a dog in that bllood line.

I have a dog that is the grandson of nip. He has been in 1 trial and got picked up 3rd in the first pack.

Them rabbit hunters around here will not even put a hound on the ground with him. The pedigree alone has em scared to death.