Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I have had a dog with Cherry eye, went out yesterday feed dogs and "bam" my 5 month old pup has Cherry eye.
I tried to put it back in with no success, calling the vet tomorrow to set up surgery or to see if he can pop it back into the membrane.
This is going to put a glitch into breeding this pup once she is an older female, genetic thing, don't like it, just hope the results are cheap and it turns out OK for me, in the pocket book and the pup not to get it again. JMHO

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Good plan to have it placed back into the pocket instead of just cutting it out like so many do. The tear gland has a purpose and should be preserved.

And you are correct that it is a genetic issue. I once eliminated an absolutely beautiful show champion from my breeding program because of cherry eyes in the first litter he produced for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also good luck Foxxy. My buddy had a young gyp that had it suddenly pop up. He had it fixed and it was less than $200. I have her brother and he’s never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I had no clue it was genetic. It’s unreal the things I’ve learned since joining this site. Is genetically carried through dam or sire?
I don’t think it is a sex-linked trait, so could come from either parent?? I should say I have seen some male beagles and some females produce cherry eyes just about every time bred. Usually “pops up” in puppies at around 10 weeks of age. If you cull for it and avoid hounds producing it, it’s not too hard to eliminate from your breeding program.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my update on my pup, she is still all puppy running around having fun.
So I called my Vet and they told me they are booked through August. They recommended calling other Vets which I did. One Vet said she had never operated on a cherry eye and referred me to a eye Vet, BOO KOO dollars for the surgery. I ended up calling 7-8 Vets, some with a 1 hour travel time. I was becoming frustrated because they wanted to schedule an appointment to do a wellness check on the pup and give her worming and shots. I said she is well, I am worming her and providing the shots, she needs the cherry eye put back and sutured. They said if we see her we might not do the surgery, NEW VET OFFICE, trying to build their clinic numbers. I called my Vet again and we made an appointment for June 29 at 9:30 a.m., if they have a cancellation they will call me.
Another Vet that did major surgery on my Brittany's broken femur called, left a message, I will get in touch with them tomorrow.
The reason the backup for operations is due to the Covid epidemic, every Vet stated that. Head scratch! 🐶 :((y)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
She’ll be fine until 6/29. It will give time to watch the other eye, since sometimes they will both pop out. You are doing the right thing to have it tacked back in place. Simple procedure for a vet experienced with it. Be interesting to hear exactly how Covid has affected their surgeries - is it difficulty getting supplies, lack of staffing, or what?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for encouragement, I will ask about how Covid effects surgeries. Our little Bichon died of old age 16.5 years, Lori wanted her cremated and the staff had to come out to the car to get her, and the same with scheduled appointments. All being precautionary for the staff. JMO

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes, they were back logged as well, plus new vets who haven’t done a prolapsed eye. Most were hesitant doing the surgery. A vet in Fort Gratiot will call tomorrow to set an appointment. He will tuck it back in and stitch’s to hold it. I want the vet to check the other eye while she is out for surgery.
I also found out 3 pups in the litter had cherry eye, it comes from the dams side, the pups grandmother had it. JMHO. and JUST my LUCK. LOL

·
Registered
355 Posts
UGH sounds like my luck.
Last time I was at Krause I saw a young guy, just thought it was new member of the family taking over and the regular vet was still working. My family has been taking pets there for about 30 yrs. I hope they don't get all yuppie now.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would take my dogs there for rabies shots, I would always get the 3 year vaccine. One time a new young guy only wanted to give the 1 year shot, the newbie. I was walking out and another older vet said what can I help you with, I told him the rabies vaccine. I had 3 dogs that needed the 3 year shot which he gave them. I told the young vet that the 3 year is the same as the 1 year, he was hell bent on the 1 year. I was glad the older vet accommodated my need. I never went back. JMHO

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I never tried this but an old friend of mine would take a pair of tweezers, life the cherry up, and cut it off with scissors. It worked for him and didn't take long to heal. If I remember correctly, it left the dog with a dry eye but no huge vet bill.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s true Robert, the vet I am going to is putting the prolapse back where it should be and then stitching it. I don’t know how much yet calling back on Monday for estimated cost. JMO

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I had 2 calls to Vets for prices to remove Cherry Eye. I have set up 2 appointments. Here is the verdict from one Vet. Dog must come to him with out eating for 12 hours, with the appointment time of 9:30 a.m.
Here's the cost, to put the cherry eye back into its membrane it will cost $440.00 + or - 20%. Any Medical therapy would be and additional cost, gave no dollar amount. Medical therapy- I will have to talk to Mater, Rehab Therapy, pain of motion. LOL I wonder if I get a Senior citizen discount. Not! LOL
I will be getting up early and walk the roads picking up beer and pop cans to use for the cost of the surgery. Michigan has a 10 cent bottle law, turn them in and get cash. I will need it.
I thought maybe $200.00 dollars, but $440.00. Ouch!
Will provide the other Vets quote/estimate when he calls me back. Hopefully not a Double Ouch. JMO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts