Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a group like this is great to gain some knowledge.
I have a female beagle, turning 1 on the 8th of August. Not sure if the conditions are bad scenting here in the summer, but she will run a rabbit for a good 100 to 150 yards and then loose it and check around for a little and then give up and come back to the spot where she first jumped it or go off to find another. She won't stick it out and try her hardest to get back on It. Just the other day she ran one for maybe 30 yards into the long grass and then lost it and couldn't find it again. She'll do circles in the general area trying to get back on but have no luck and give up. I may be blaming the dog when it's the conditions but I need the second opinion.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Keep running her, if she has a check or loss walk to the spot and watch so she will stay at check/loss.
That way she won‘t float back to the spot she started the rabbit. Patience. Tracks, and repetitive running will give time an more confidence at a loss/check to stay and hunt it up.
Is there someone you can run with that has a beagle that could help her out. JMHO

·
Registered
897 Posts
Jacob
Hears my thoughts on pups
First I always try to Evaluate a pup at the stage he’s at instead of the stage I think he should be at All pups progress a little differently basically I’m not real concerned at this point if he can run and circle rabbits nearly ck free ( I think puppy trials/ Derby trials puts a lot of pressure on getting pups started earlier it’s the finished product that’s really important) As long as he keeps improving is what’s important
Now that being said. One of the most important thing a pup should show right off the bat is Desire when turned out is he willing to search and hunt or dose he just hang around I always look for the pup that grubs it out when they get into trouble
The one that stays there and keeps working at it not willing to give up.
A dog with natural ability but lacks desire doesn’t get meany rabbits back to the gun
The answers above are all good so I’m not suggesting to give up but in my opinion if this quitting and leaving at the tuff places continues. You will have to make a tough Choice
Good luck

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
davemcc....nailed this one down for us.

As a basic rule...started pups and young dogs are going to get better ( do more of and quicker) at whatever she is doing now...... good and bad.

What that means is the good will get better and the bad will get worse as she grows up. She will do more of what she does right and wrong most of the time as a general rule. Anything is possiable but no probable. Their is an exception to every rule but remember that is the exception no the rule.. Scientist call this phenomenon.

Leaving checks is failure to stay in the vicinity of a loss and attempt to work it out, bounding off in hopes of encountering the trail or new game.

Leaving checks
denotes lack of patience and perseverance

Personally I see.....Leaving a check, work left undone... a lost rabbit or going find another one and easier one.....as QUITTING. This is how I personally rate it.

Quitting is a serious fault deserving severe penalty and, in its extreme form, elimination.

Quitting indicates lack of desire to hunt and succeed

Quitting ranges from refusing to run, to such lesser forms as lack of perseverance, occasional letup of eagerness, and loafing or watching other hounds in difficult situations.

Patience is a willingness to stay with any problem encountered as long as there is a possibility of achieving success in a workmanlike manner, rather than taking a chance of making the recovery more quickly through guesswork or gambling.

Patience keeps a hound from bounding off and leaving work undone, and causes it to apply itself to the surest and safest methods in difficult situations.

Determination is that quality which causes a hound to succeed against severe odds.

A determined hound has a purpose in mind and will overcome, through sheer perseverance, many obstacles that often frustrate less determined running mates.

Determination and patience are closely related qualities and are generally found in the same hound.

Determination keeps a hound at its work as long as there is a possibility of achievement and quite often long after its body has passed the peak of its endurance.

Determination is desire in its most intense form.

===========================================================================================

When I am evaluating a newly started pup I require to witness certain basic fundamental, mechanical, natural born, engrained, instinctive traits, behaviors and actions in any pup right off the bat day one if it has any potential chance of becoming something of real equity and value that I am willing to spend my time work and money on. I need to be impressed the very first time I watch them attempt to run a rabbit alone and in a pack or they done...through...finished...on the spot... no further consideration..... we stop right here. I pull out my cell phone on the spot and call the rabbit hunters and say come get em and bring a trailer....you can HAVE ALL THESE PUPS RUNNING AND SARTED for FREE if your here....within the hour! Sometimes I call them and tell them hey I am going look at 5 litters of pups I just started this week. Come meet me and bring plenty of box's.

Now.... can hounds be manipulated...SURE...yes sir they can.... if....manipulation of all your hounds is what you like, desire and see for yourself in your beagle hound future.! Many of todays field trialers are Masters at this but manipulation fits into their hound agenda and that is the why they love to do it...to WIN.... with what you currently have in your hands.....at all costs. Many see this as a thrilling challenge and a Skill which it is. They see this as a success and that is great for them.

Personally for me as a breeder I see it as complete, total and absolute failure of the very worst kind..... on my part.... in the breeding shed! I choose to cull instead of manipulate to each his own.

Now....Can hounds be bred so that they need no manipulation....SURE....yes sir they can and are but this takes much more effort, guts, time, money etc. to consistently breed an all around sound mechanical animal.... all of which pays HUGE DIVIDENS..... down the road for many many years to come. These hounds are real they are not FAKES and most of these become top producers of outstanding hounds in and out of their blood line.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Keep running her, if she has a check or loss walk to the spot and watch so she will stay at check/loss.
That way she won‘t float back to the spot she started the rabbit. Patience. Tracks, and repetitive running will give time an more confidence at a loss/check to stay and hunt it up.
Is there someone you can run with that has a beagle that could help her out. JMHO
She's a BABY- to get her better is to run her as much as you can and keep track of her progress. A lot of guys and gals give up on a dog because its 1-year-old and it should run a rabbit. Yah! and gas should be $2.25 a gallon. A dog will excel with their maturity, some early and some later. Don't give up on her. Run her early morning and just before dusk when rabbits are moving.
If you have children each child is different and will excel as they mature, it's the same way with young puppies and young dogs.
I have on numerous occasions had dogs that the light turned on and run a rabbit didn't happen until they were almost 2 years old. PATIENCE, TIME, TRACKS will eventually work its way showing you how they can run a rabbit.
I had a Patch male that started on rabbits at 6 months and was running deer better at 1 year old. I kept him for 2 hunting seasons dealing with the deer running and 2 trips to a deer pen getting shocked did not help. I gave the dog away to an older man who loved him. I did not need a deer running beagle. Give her some time. Just saying, JMHO (y) 🐶🐇🐇

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Having a group like this is great to gain some knowledge.
I have a female beagle, turning 1 on the 8th of August. Not sure if the conditions are bad scenting here in the summer, but she will run a rabbit for a good 100 to 150 yards and then loose it and check around for a little and then give up and come back to the spot where she first jumped it or go off to find another. She won't stick it out and try her hardest to get back on It. Just the other day she ran one for maybe 30 yards into the long grass and then lost it and couldn't find it again. She'll do circles in the general area trying to get back on but have no luck and give up. I may be blaming the dog when it's the conditions but I need the second opinion.
If she makes it look hard before she loses it she may be lacking nose also. But if she can run it with ease and just lacks the desire to stay with it I would run her with a good close working, never quit check dog every other time and solo the other times. Some bloodlines mature a little later than others. Take her 8-10 times and if she doesn't improve greatly she probably isn't going to make it. For me personally, desire is the first thing I look for. And quitting is right up there with not hunting as the worst traits.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you see her searching in a check and it is taking awhile I would never her pick her up to go home or call her off. If that’s her flaw and you see her actually working the check let her keep working it. Last thing you would want to do is reinforce that tendency she has at this age. Don’t give up on her put her with a slower experienced dog.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Have you shown her road killed rabbit? If the roadkill is somewhat fresh and not smashed to much, pick it up and show and let her chew on it. A positive reinforcement works wonders, you can also freeze the rabbit in a plastic bag and show her sometime later on. Just saying, JMHO

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mack C. Good post. And I respect your judgment and agree somewhat to your post although I do have a slight difference. Hears my Perspective on a pup that quits.
First and foremost as a trainer/ handler of a young dog your most important job is to be HONEST don’t white wash it don’t make excuses and don’t be kennel blind see the pup as it really is ( you owe it to yourself and certainly the future of your breeding program).
I believe the number one reason new beaglers lose interest in Beagling is simply a faulty hound that after they have spent a lot of time effort and money fails to make the cut and could / should of been caught at an early age … so therefore I say this not to discourage but encourage. On With It
As Jacob had mentioned his year old young hound is started and running but after a short run comes to a ck at which time he either leaves in search of another rabbit or comes back to him… To Jacobs Credit he has noticed a red flag and this has become a major concern therefore he made his post
As Mitch had stated in his post there are exception but that’s is what they are exception not the rule
As we know there are certain Traits that are bread into pups or better yet if you will we will say ( lack of)
Some are fairly obvious at a young age even before the pup is taken to the field others start showing there colors fairly early stage … such as desire/ patients/ determination these are traits that are bread into the pup (a Course brains but we will skip that for now). Now I realize that running the pup with an old true dog can help hold the pup in and the pup may even start working the ck better as time go’s by. But in my opinion this is just white washing the real problem and sooner then later it’s going to raise it’s ugly nose and come back to bite you in the butt. Especially on those frosty frozen ground and those hard smelling days and for sure you would not want to start your new foundation your future beagles with a dog that lacks the desire /determination to work those tough cks. There’s traits or lack of that determination and desire can over come and still make you a nice gun dog one would be a little lack of nose determination sometimes can out Trump this fault as I had mentioned in the above post all the Natural ability is useless with out. The desire to keep the rabbit moving
So personally I would not spend a lot of time trying to fix a fault as serious as lack of desire and at best will just white wash it. I think I would be in search for a different pup.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mack C. Good post. And I respect your judgment and agree somewhat to your post although I do have a slight difference. Hears my Perspective on a pup that quits.
First and foremost as a trainer/ handler of a young dog your most important job is to be HONEST don’t white wash it don’t make excuses and don’t be kennel blind see the pup as it really is ( you owe it to yourself and certainly the future of your breeding program).
I believe the number one reason new beaglers lose interest in Beagling is simply a faulty hound that after they have spent a lot of time effort and money fails to make the cut and could / should of been caught at an early age … so therefore I say this not to discourage but encourage. On With It
As Jacob had mentioned his year old young hound is started and running but after a short run comes to a ck at which time he either leaves in search of another rabbit or comes back to him… To Jacobs Credit he has noticed a red flag and this has become a major concern therefore he made his post
As Mitch had stated in his post there are exception but that’s is what they are exception not the rule
As we know there are certain Traits that are bread into pups or better yet if you will we will say ( lack of)
Some are fairly obvious at a young age even before the pup is taken to the field others start showing there colors fairly early stage … such as desire/ patients/ determination these are traits that are bread into the pup (a Course brains but we will skip that for now). Now I realize that running the pup with an old true dog can help hold the pup in and the pup may even start working the ck better as time go’s by. But in my opinion this is just white washing the real problem and sooner then later it’s going to raise it’s ugly nose and come back to bite you in the butt. Especially on those frosty frozen ground and those hard smelling days and for sure you would not want to start your new foundation your future beagles with a dog that lacks the desire /determination to work those tough cks. There’s traits or lack of that determination and desire can over come and still make you a nice gun dog one would be a little lack of nose determination sometimes can out Trump this fault as I had mentioned in the above post all the Natural ability is useless with out. The desire to keep the rabbit moving
So personally I would not spend a lot of time trying to fix a fault as serious as lack of desire and at best will just white wash it. I think I would be in search for a different pup.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I think one of my personal faults (Maybe) as I get older is I am more patient with pups now and try everything to help them be succesfull. When I was younger I culled hard and quick. I had a friend tell me I had the patience of job. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts