Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Dolly for close to a month now. I have been following her close trying to pick her apart. I've been shocked at how much control she is showing, not only on the line but also in the check. I've heard some of the Branko lines are pretty close and clean but had never really got to see it till now. This is her with Sis yesterday morning.
She is still lacking confidence so it will be interesting to see how much she changes when it all clicks together. Gotta thank my buddy Logan for seeing her potential and sending her to us.

·
Registered
872 Posts
At this stage she’s looking good
Branko is like any other line depending on who and how she is bread…. Iv had a few Brankos right out of Brankos kennel That are cleaner and closer then most spo style hounds. Without all the extra mouth in a ck. Keep feeding her those tracks like your doing The Brankos do have a tendency to blow if not trained right or ran to early with a hard driving pack. Good luck with her KY

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Branko is like any other line depending on who and how she is bread…. Iv had a few Brankos right out of Brankos kennel That are cleaner and closer then most spo style hounds. Without all the extra mouth in a ck. Keep feeding her those tracks like your doing The Brankos do have a tendency to blow if not trained right or ran to early with a hard driving pack. Good luck with her KY
🐂:poop:

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The honest mouth and hard hunt has always really appealed to me in the northern dogs. So far she is showing a good amount of both. I've started a few bred like her that start on the easy side but usually by this point they are starting to let competition get the best of them but I'm not seeing that in Dolly... yet.

Got me fingers crossed!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is the exact reason I sent her Vance’s way because my pack was too much for her she can leg up but that’s not where she’s comfortable

·
Registered
125 Posts
Vance knows me as well as anyone I like dolly I do but I like competitiveness and I like the drive of a run don’t get me wrong if you’re not clean with speed or your cutting and doing stupid stuff you will leave my kennel but dolly was anything but that she left my kennel with a sore heart mainly because I knew that Vance and Stephanie would do her good that I couldn’t

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's one of her and Sis working a double. The rabbit stopped on the other side of a bush and cut back out. They run up to the end of the line and immediately started working it back the other way and Dolly was the first to strike the track where he jumped off. Wish it wasn't so thick so you could actually see the move.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She isn't what I would consider tight mouthed but you won't hear much from her if the scent isn't strong. She is opening more now that she is getting a little touch of confidence. I will take that over babbling any day. When the scent gets better this fall I think Ol Dolly will be a screaming demon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The honest mouth and hard hunt has always really appealed to me in the northern dogs. So far she is showing a good amount of both. I've started a few bred like her that start on the easy side but usually by this point they are starting to let competition get the best of them but I'm not seeing that in Dolly... yet.

Got me fingers crossed!
I had a pair of them bro and sis ,didn't work out. Male had good hunt no stamina , female too shy , both swing to wide. Both mediocre at best.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We put her down with 5 smooth females yesterday and she stayed right in there with them the whole time getting a few licks in when she could and finding a place in line when she had to. I think we'll know by rabbit season what kind of dog we are really working with.
For right now it's back to solo and bracing with Sis.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hey good dogs are good dogs they don't know how they are bred.

Hound performance is what we judge not paper.

I put several 2nds in big classes one year on a super fine close, clean, tight, straight, nice bitch that hunted and jumped rabbits and was tough to deal with. She could run a rabbit and cut your guts out and make you look like a fool if you tried to rough it up...Nice bitch! I tried to buy her too.

I was amazed when I saw her pedigree! She was out of good FC Skullfork \ Blackcreek descended Male I knew and a bitch right off of Branko's yard!

Good dogs are good that's all there is to it.

I was going to put a really good male I had on top of her if I could have bought her and was fully convinced I would get something outstanding out of that.

Go for it..... don't be scared.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought I had it saved on my old phone but couldn't find it. I will have Logan send it to me. Only dog I really knew on it was Stoney Hills Gator. Would be interested to learn more about some of the other dogs in her lineage. Maybe someone will know where her line control comes from.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts