Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since theres not many videos gettin posted nowadays heres a c o o n hunt video a couple nights ago on a full moon night.C o o n s were scarce.The hounds covered alot of woods without a bark and then had a hot race straight to a den tree up a straight up hill.I could barely climb it and stand on it to shine the den tree.Not often does a c o o n look out a den tree at you. Made two clips out of a longer video due to poor camera work.ha

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Since theres not many videos gettin posted nowadays heres a c o o n hunt video a couple nights ago on a full moon night.C o o n s were scarce.The hounds covered alot of woods without a bark and then had a hot race straight to a den tree up a straight up hill.I could barely climb it and stand on it to shine the den tree.Not often does a c o o n look out a den tree at you. Made two clips out of a longer video due to poor camera work.ha

Nice video Burnett, the racoon squaller sure gets their attention. Dogs look and sound nice. JMHO

·
Registered
798 Posts
They sou

They sound good!

·
Registered
244 Posts
My older son went with a guy couple times that had a jam up racoon hound
I told him, you don’t realize how much a good one cost nor what’s involved in training one
Laying in bed the other night I heard something yapping it’s head off, knew it weren’t no beagle
Went down next morning and he had bought 2 blk tan coonhound pups and put them in one of my kennels
I said boy, have you lost your mind, putting those long legged yapping howling things in with my dogs
He said I’m going to sale one and have the other trained
I said you better get them about 20 acres from my beagles and away from the house
I can appreciate a good treeing hound but he don’t realize the training/time and work to get them like that
Kids

·
Registered
45 Posts
I told him, you don’t realize how much a good one cost nor what’s involved in training one
Laying in bed the other night I heard something yapping it’s head off, knew it weren’t no beagle
Went down next morning and he had bought 2 blk tan coonhound pups and put them in one of my kennels
I said boy, have you lost your mind, putting those long legged yapping howling things in with my dogs
I said you better get them about 20 acres from my beagles and away from the house
I can appreciate a good treeing hound but he don’t realize the training/time and work to get them like that
Kids
Everyone should have coonhound at least once in their lifetime, good for them 👍🏻

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Kids
I like that he wants to join the Raccoon hunting club, he’s doing just what we want. The younger generation to get involved with hounds and hunting. Just saying, JMHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like that he wants to join the Raccoon hunting club, he’s doing just what we want. The younger generation to get involved with hounds and hunting. Just saying, JMHO
Totally agree it’s a good thing to have a interest in racoon hunting and have a good treeing dog
But as you know it takes a lot of work and know how to train a treeing hound or you pay big dollars for a good trained hound
My fear is he don’t have the patience/time nor know how to train racoon pups
Hate to see them become kennel hounds
If he had been a little less shoot from the hip and threw 2 blk tan pups in my beagle kennels I would have helped him get into racoon hunting as I did with field trial quality beagles
Anything to keep kids in the woods or on the water, I’m all for it

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Totally agree it’s a good thing to have a interest in racoon hunting and have a good treeing dog
But as you know it takes a lot of work and know how to train a treeing hound or you pay big dollars for a good trained hound
My fear is he don’t have the patience/time nor know how to train racoon pups
Hate to see them become kennel hounds
If he had been a little less shoot from the hip and threw 2 blk tan pups in my beagle kennels I would have helped him get into racoon hunting as I did with field trial quality beagles
Anything to keep kids in the woods or on the water, I’m all for it
I totally agree, a pretty impulsive move. Did he put the cart in front of the horse? I believe with your expertise and help it will get him in the right direction to get the pup going. I surely hope he has the patience while training the pup, or the money to pay for a trained dog to help the pup. JMHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
Son’s standing around fire pit last night
Young guy showed up with a 3 year old hound that had already won 11 events
Turned him out while they were at the fire pit
Hound headed towards back field
10 or 15 minutes he was on a trail
Shortly after guy said he had him treed 400 yds away
They left the fire pit and headed that way
Time they got to him the hound was tearing bark off the tree that the racoon was in
Guy said dead and hound followed back to the house
Then the guy said load up and dog went to truck and jumped back in box
Now that’s my kind of hound
Kid said he had turned down $10,000 for that dog
Now my son is more fired up and hooked more than ever Lol

·
Registered
244 Posts

Just curious son is getting into coonhounds
Do you compete or would you possibly recognize pedigrees if I posted
I’m not familiar with UKC nor coonhounds
TY

1 - 15 of 15 Posts