Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres a lot of you guys with alot more experience with breeding than myself so maybe you all can help me .If you breed a excellent male and female what are the chances of having all the puppies to come out to be solid rabbit dogs

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
alot better than if you breed a mediocore dog to a mediocore dog. :D You look for traits in a dog that you like and thats what youre breeding for. You can always get a good pup out of just about any litter, but if you want a chocolate cake you gotta have cocoa in the batter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your Chances would be better for sure, BUT you really have to know the pedigree of both male and female to see how match up.

I know a lot of people don't like paper/pedigree hounds, but if you now how the hounds in the pedigree ran, then you will have a LOT better chance of producing hounds of the same quality with every breeding.

David N. Riley II - Bglenut
Briarcreek Beagles
Madison, Ms

www.mulehuntingclothes.com

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Hoot, if I was going to breed a registered hound I would talk to these guys as to what crosses best with your breeding. Some of these hunters can tell you what they think will make excellent crosses from experience and maybe help you enhance your pack. That would be better than trial and error. I know this would be the way I would do it. Just my humble opinion. Good luck with your hounds.

Roger

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
To get a whole litter of good solid rabbit dogs from 2 individuals would depend on 1. your standards for a rabbit dog, and 2. What kind of gene pool you are accessing. One thing to remember is that when we breed 2 dogs we aren't necessarily getting those 2 dogs, we are getting what they produce. They will generally produce what characteristics their ancesters have put in them. Research the ancesters for the last 3 generations and you will get a pretty good idea of how the puppies will turn out. With that said it is always advisable to breed the best to the best for better odds.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think some traits are being instilled in bloodlines like to much mouth or extra mouth that will pop up in litters of both parents being honest mouth dogs but one or both having the recessive gene. I have for the most part have only bred spo dogs and when you think you have finally got this trait out, look out here it comes again in some of the pups. I think the reason of this is because of focusing so much on line control by field trialers.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I might add this also that in reading a lot of stud adds in H&H you see a dog advertised as a big nosed dog. Most of the time big nose means extra mouth. To me extra mouth in a dog has no place to a rabbit hunter. I like spo dogs running styles but i think a person is better off to go try out one and buy than try to raise a litter because the gamble of this extra mouth issue is to great. I hate extra mouth in a dog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
again thanks everyone for your impute very much appreciated.I have a good female with a couple of F.C."s in her pedigree but not quite enough speed should i breed a slightly faster dog to her to pick her puppies up or try to stay close to the same, the reason i am asking is because she is really small in comparison to my other dogs not nearly as legged i like to call it,do you think this is hindering her speed some .THANKS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts