Blood line suggestions

Discussion in 'Breeding, Bloodlines, and Pedigrees' started by Hoot, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    been back into rabbit hunting for about 11years now.Just like to have some of you guys opinions on blood lines that you all like and had success with.Trying to change or really overhaul my whole pack in the coming years.Have been hunting some old grade stock of dogs my dad has had for years,there not to bad just not satisfied with them.There good huntin dogs just dont have the nose on them that a good beagle needs.Also just bought a couple of registered dog in the last few days,with some FC in there bloodlines,not looking to get into trials just want a pack of solid over all rabbit dogs

any suggestions would be appreciated,
    Thanks, Hoot

2. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Well we all have our favorites. I like a sold medium to upper medium speed with big noses and lots of hunt. I have Shorts Pro in most my hounds, I also have Blue Creek Bear in a lot. Just bought a pup right out of (FC Condons Thistle Ridge Ace X a Bitch right off of Pro). I am also looking at a bitch right off FC Wrights Little Deacon. Both the last two also go back to Pro or Blue Creek Bear.
    The FC Shorts Pro line has tons of nose and great control, but is a little weaker on hunt, so I like a Pro cross with something that has tons of hunt such as Ace or Deacon.

3. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    thanks spini boys

4. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

If youll tell us what kind of running style you like Ill bet people could give you some advice on what lines might interest you.

I like a style similar to Spini Boys and most of mine are Otis/Blackjack.

5. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    FB I like a dog that runs a solid line and hunts good,right now i am going to a slower dog i would say about a 6 speed,I have just bought 3 dogs in the last 4 weeks or so they are doing pretty well for me. i amstill working on the papers and pedigrees even though i dont know any thing on there bloodlines,I know all have F.C.s in their pedigrees and i figured thats a plus I do know one of these dogs go back to Pro is what the guy told me when her papers get back maybe i will know for sure

6. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

Thats the thing I like about pedigrees. It doesnt always work but generally speaking you can look at one and if you know the dogs at least get a basic idea of the running style or at least what it should be.

7. WHITENER bloodline in Alabama,you can't beat it and it goes back 25 plus years in a 3 generation pedigree and todate NO one has had any complaints!! To me that is a fairly good success rate?? The hounds ground scent and air scent, has gears and are run to catch hounds..