Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my best places- for cottontails I like swamps surrounded by brushy hills, the rabbits will put a hurting on the dogs running up and down the hills.
I also like pot holes that have been flooded so the rabbits run the perimeter, during the winter they crisscross across the ice. I have hunted some swamps that were so thick, I would climb a tree to see the running and hopefully shoot the rabbit.
I also have hunted stump fence rows that are thick, rabbit runs in and outside of the stumps.
Christmas tree farms are also very good to hunt in. Makes for some quick shooting.

Snowshoe Hare- Cedar swamps with some popular, alder and brush in the hills on the side of the swamp. Sometimes I get on my knees to get a shot at the hare. The hare takes such a big circle it takes some time to figure out their main runways, once figured out running gets great.
Both spots at times I just see a flash through the trees, and brush in the swamps and potholes. JMHO

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Northern New Hampshire lots of hare. Southern more cottontail.
Dcc- what are the areas you hunt in. Fields, Swamps, Pot holes, thick or thinly type of terrain?
Just wondering !

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice, makes walking a lot easier. I just saw the picture, the areas you hunt will be tough as well. Great picture. thanks for posting. Thanks Spini !

·
Registered
41 Posts
The hare is thick conifers spruce small pine with swamp nasty to get through. The cotton tail is around corn fields. Kinda fun hunting the corn in winter they don’t hole up. Then we run thick nasty briars and tall grass. Don’t see the rabbit too often even when. A few feet from you. Makes the dogs work hard. Still fun to listen to them run. Little easier when we get snow. They seem to hole up quicker in snow.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dcc- thanks for your response, its going to be interesting to see what everyone hunts in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We hunt some real heavy cocklebur/briar thickets mainly. Sometimes some low areas that are real swampy that hold water easily and will shove rabbits up onto sides of railroad tracks. Also found a few new areas that have lots of young willow/saplings in them. Very thick with lots of dead brush piles from high water. Hoping to hit a few of those spots if the water stays down I have seen quite a few rabbits in them. Best place I ever hunted was with my dad and uncle. My uncle knew a guy that worked in the mines in the southern part of the state and the old mines that were not being used anymore they let the guys hunt them. Super thick heavy briars mostly but some of it was wide open grassy fields.

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Nice, makes walking a lot easier. I just saw the picture, the areas you hunt will be tough as well. Great picture. thanks for posting. Thanks Spini !
Yes, if your young and in shape you can watch a majority of the races. I cant keep up anymore for more than a few yards. We have thicker areas that you can't walk through at all. But most is like the picture.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For me, I like to hunt clear cuts with mounds of logs. Give them a couple years and they are thick with sticker bushes and brush. I, also, love to hunt old farms where the cow pastures haven’t seen a cow in years, they become thick with brush and always seem to have a ton of cottontail

·
Registered
100 Posts
My favorite for cottontails... Christmas tree farms. I just wish I still had access to a couple. They all turned into corn fields! Most of our hunts involve small wood lots full of dead Ash in farm country.
For Hare, it's any Cedar swamp with a network of skidder trails. It's reassuring to know I can close the distance if the chase gets way out there.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My favorite place to hunt is an old tangled up swamp with cedar thickets bordering the edges. Rabbits run huge in there. Best time to hunt it is right after a big rain when the swamp is full.
My next favorite is an old farm that the state took over for quail habitat. All the old grown up barnyards and fencerows make for some good running.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like a good thick fence row! Chance for good loud sight chase. I don’t love sight chases due to dogs looking up and running but when I have young kids out with me which happens frequently the kid’s blood gets pumping and hooks them on the sport. Also fence rows have those stupid fences that the dogs can’t get through and the growling gets ferce. Kids love it and dogs start climbing and it get exciting fast. Really I just love it where we can find a rabbit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts