Beginning Beagler Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Johnathan Sizemore, May 19, 2020.

1. Johnathan Sizemore

Johnathan Sizemore Well-Known Member

Kentucky
    So I have posted my pups on here and there pedigree. There now bout 5 months old and are starting too do really good with my 2 year old female. Here’s my Problem I’m from southeastern Ky and where I come from there is thousands of acres of strip job land/ AKA Public land in every direction to hunt/ride/run on. I moved to Stanton Ky for Work purposes a few years ago and got into running beagles this past winter I now have a great 2 year old and 2 five month old beagles who are looking to be promising hounds. Problem is only spots with rabbits to run are over an hour from my house so that almost makes it impossible to run in the evenings after work, I’m having to haul my dogs back home on the weekend or to the nearest Wma with a decent rabbit population. And fitting that in the weekend with going to church 1st priority and then spending time with my family is not a easy chore. I know my dogs need ran more, there chomping at the bit but no luck in finding someone to let me run around here.

there is 1 Wma in clay city but has a very bad Rabbit population. They cut 98% of it for hay.

Any Help Is appreciated.
    Thank you God Bless!

Ernest Sawyers, Circle4p and That like this.
  2. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    I’m looking for somewhere to RUN rabbits Not Hunt/Kill. Lol forgot to mention that.

you can Text or call 859-629-1832 or comment on this post or pm me with any help/recommendations.

3. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

I know this doesn't help much on drive time but if you want to run some dogs I've got a spot or 2 around Richmond. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

4. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    Ok sounds good I’m about 40/45 min from Richmond

5. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Them hayfields aught to be loaded with bunnies after it grows a lil to give them cover. I know it helps in my pastures if I don’t bush hog

6. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    It may get better later in the summer but I’ve ran it 6-8 times and do good to jump 1-2 rabbits every 4-5 hours. That’s with 2 older dogs and two pups. Same dogs back home we jump an average Of 6-8 rabbits.

AJ Johnson and Circle4p like this.
  7. mitch huguet

mitch huguet Well-Known Member

Johnathan find you a spot with cover nearby and put you some wild rabbit there for you to run and don't tell anybody. Then you will have a spot close to you. That has worked well for me in the past.

8. SLOW DOGS

SLOW DOGS New Member

Why do your dogs need so many rabbits 1 or 2 jumped rabbits a day should be fine if your dogs can run a good track and not over run

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    Jonathan: Get out earlier in the morning and you will probably find more rabbits. If you wait until they are not moving, they are harder to find. You might learn there are just enough actually there.

10. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Or right before dark. Or after a rain in the afternoon. They can’t help but come out then

11. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    It may be better in the morning I’m not sure! I’ll try it some weekend I work Monday - Friday.

12. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    We have to cover a whole lot of ground to find those couple rabbits they put in a good run usually ends in the hole sometimes they’ll make a loose there still young. It’s no vehicle acces also so you gotta cover 30 min walk just to get where the rabbits are

AJ Johnson, TJRANGER and Circle4p like this.
  13. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

SLOW DOGS, there are many people on this forum who run dogs that run instead of walk. Many of those folks have dogs that will relentlessly run the rabbit with such steady pressure and speed it will become stiff. Others have dogs that will occasionally catch a rabbit or hare. These are both reasons why more than one would be needed.

14. Donnie Tew

Donnie Tew Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Run em stiff, put fast furious relentless pressure on them that they go under ground. Rabbit ain’t fast enough to keep from being eaten on a sight chase. Just a few reasons.

15. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    Is that rabbit froze? Lol

Circle4p likes this.
  16. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    I jumped 5 this morning! Wish I could run in the mornings more often! Lol
    I took the day off and it was quite enjoyable to hear a good ole chop bark at 7 am this morning!

AJ Johnson, Circle4p, Seark and 3 others like this.
  17. Donnie Tew

Donnie Tew Well-Known Member

Nope. That’s what I call a stiffy. Put fast constant pressure on Mr. Cottontail and he will lock up stiff as a board.

18. Johnathan Sizemore

Kentucky
    My hounds will push one pretty good but never seen that! Lol

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    Way to go, Jonathan! Mornings are the best time to run during spring and summer. Also, you'll have fewer problems with them running young rabbits if you can get out while the adult rabbits are easier to find. I had a great morning myself with a pack of 17 hounds.

20. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

I suppose we all realize that a rabbit don't wake up in the morning with a workout routine to keep it physically fit. They wake up to eat. When they have fulfilled their desire for food they lay around and rest. So in many ways they are like a human who doesn't work out often and those muscles are out of shape. Put in a hard days physical work that you don't normally do and see how your muscles handle it.