Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came in from running the hounds. I didn't see one to cast them on so I let them find their own but that didn't take long. Two barks and I saw the rabbit cross the lane but they had a little trouble finding it so I cheated and a talley ho set them on fire. They did a really good job for about 25 minutes then they made the lose of the century. It seemed like another 15 minutes before they found it. After that we ran about an hour and I picked them up at a check and was moving closer to the house when I saw another rabbit so I let them go again. I picked them up about 10:00 pm and on the way out I saw 3 more rabbits. I sure don't have the best hounds but I have a good time with what I do have. Hope yall do too.

Roger

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rodger,
Sounds like you have lots of rabbits.
A great deal of time ,the difference in hunting rabbits and finding rabbits,
is the presence of a rabbit.

Rodger,
You can put that on the great quotes board .

·
Banned
469 Posts
I've been seeing a ton of baby rabbits it looks like maybe they raised several this spring hopefully they will still be around trhis fall.Sounds like you had a lot of fun.I'm gonna try to get out as much as I can in the next few weeks before it starts to get to hot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran three of my older females last night the running sure is better with moisture in the ground again. I plan to run two derbies tonight if they are runnig decent I may take them to the cloverleaf derby championship this weekend.

·
Registered
560 Posts
took Gypsy out for a while this morning between rain showers!!!...i shut the truck door and jumped a rabbit..lol...so needless to say...30 seconds out of the truck...she was on a rabbit!!...it was a real treat to watch her this morning...she is just getting better and faster each time out!!!...really moving it along pretty good at times!!!...she circled this first rabbit out of one thicket...through open pasture over a hill into another thicket...out of that thicket..through the open pasture into another thicket...out of that one ...back to the original thicket...TWICE...LOL...into a hole!!...then i happen to look across the hill to a little grassy area...and seen two rabbits playing...so i just walked over there...no sight chase...but it was on again!!!...over a hill...circled back and down to a creek...i didnt see it...but it really put a slick move on her in that water!!!...she searched up and down both sides of that creek...and i mean she was really trying to find that thing...but she could not pick it back up!!!...4 months old!!!!...i guess she will learn!!!...LOL

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like everyone is having a good time running rabbits. Glad to hear from you guys too.

Roger

·
Registered
560 Posts
blubeagle it really sounds like the rabbits in your area will be in trouble this next winter
this little spot that i have found to run my pup is not big enough to run the big hounds on!!!...if fact it is inside the city limits...just a little spot with a few thickets on it!!!...i think there are about 4 or 5 rabbits in this small area!!!...good for a pup!!!...it wont be long and it wont be big enough for the pup...she is starting to pick things up a little...LOL

·
Registered
520 Posts
Man it was nice this afternoon, cool and damp. It was alittle windy. I got to turn loose for a short run and it was so hard on me. My three L/W males ran the same rabbit by me 3 times and the last time he stopped and looked at me about 4 feet from me. I did not have a gun to shoot him with boy it really got on my nerves , those dogs pushing him like that. So about an hour and a half later I put the dogs on a lead and put them up. Thought I needed to give the rabbit a rest before they caught him . I can not wait till the next time..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran derbies with a buddy of mine yesterday evening for about 3 hours the first rabbit was a little one and wasnt leaving much scent or running very far so we caught them off of it and got on another rabbit had a really good race on the second rabbit, they got up and drove it and also got to see them buckle down and work it across some bareground all in all a good evening.

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I had a good 2 hr run last night with one if my derbies. Dry Creek Thunder. Getting him ready for a derby trial this Saturday. He needs to pick up some speed to be a good trial dog but he can solo a rabbit to death. Where I run there is a family of red foxes. Right at dusk I saw one of them heading toward my dog trying to get a race. I was glad he ignored the fox. I guess he's learned his lesson for now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I plan to do the last little bit of tuning on my derbies tonight and then if they look close to not embarassing I will be heading to the Cloverleaf Derby Championship on saturday.

·
Registered
560 Posts
well...as usual...Gypsy done great this morning...was running almost constantly for 2 hours...proud of my 4 month old pup!!!...LOL

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a decent run last night I have defiantely had better but also had a lot worse. oh well I guess we will just have to try them again tomorrow.

·
Banned
469 Posts
I went with ninja turtle this morning. We had some pretty decent running. It started out kinda slow, but once we got a rabbit up and the dogs settled down they did a pretty good job. I finally got to see his blackjack male run and was real impressed I think he is gonna make a fine dog and a great addition to the dogs we are running. I was happy with my new female Mattie to she did a good job. The wind is starting to blow fairly hard and the clouds are starting to roll in so I think we are gonna call it a day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took my 18 month old pup out Wednesday night and soloed her. It took her 13 minutes to jump a rabbit and when she did she never lost it for 66 minutes!! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts