Beagle running behind the pack on the same line..help!!

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Fredgempurdy, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Fredgempurdy

Fredgempurdy Active Member

I have weircreek beagles they are all the same breeding . They are upper medium speed and will stroke a rabbit . I have a young year and a half old female that was started last season . She has an excellent nose and line controll. She doesnt seem to have any desire to keep up with the pack and prefers to hang back and run the whole line herself , meaning she is running the same rabbit she is just usually 70 yards behind . She is out of the same breeding so I know she has the gears to run up in the pack . I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is there a way to speed her up and get her more pack oriented. She is an outstanding young dog and if she would work in the pack she would add a lot to it . I'm just looking for some advice from others on this topic ..thanks in advance

TJRANGER and Circle4p like this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

I wish I could help. I usually have the opposite problem of young dogs taking the front weather they can hold it or not. I like to solo it seems to help.

singlebarrel, km, TJRANGER and 2 others like this.

3. Fredgempurdy

Ya I was thinking solo may make things worse and make her more independent

TJRANGER, Circle4p and KyBrushBuster like this.
  4. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

It very well could. I’m interested in what the guys will have to say on the subject.

10ACbeagler, TJRANGER and Circle4p like this.
  5. Fredgempurdy

Ya I couldn't really find anything on this subject

Circle4p likes this.
  6. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

Brace her with one of your slowest dogs. Sounds like a confidence issue.

7. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I had a male pup like that last year. I started running him and his sister together. He wouldn’t hark to another dog at all. And get behind and stay that way. When the others got in a check it messed them all up cause they’d go to him. Long story short he’s a deer running fool now. Traded him for a rod & reel. Lol

8. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

You might help by running him with one other dog where he learns to stay up it has worked for a few. Might just be slower.

9. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    X2 what Harp and KY said. I would solo some first tho as this could be confidence issue and running solo DOES help build confidence.

10. Fredgempurdy

Thanks for the replies , I will try both . I dont think I could let her go she runs really true I just really hope I can speed her up . She will run with the other dogs some but eventually they just pull away and she seems content to fall back while running the same track I had the same problem with a beagle that was medium speed one time he would never run with the other dogs and caused breakdowns in the checks . Sometimes in a hard check she will close the gap and get the check but the others dont honor her barking way back behind them so it really isn't messing up the hunt , if she had that next gear she would be an unreal upper medium speed hound

TJRANGER likes this.
  11. Fredgempurdy

Hopefully she just need some more time and confidence

TJRANGER likes this.
  12. rienmark

rienmark Well-Known Member

Not being negative but I say you're not going to fix that dog start a slower pack or send her up the road to a good home then you can acquire another dog who will fit in

13. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    If you have a training collar on her , what speed is she running ? Just curious .

Circle4p likes this.
  14. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

I would try running her with one other dog and if no change that will be what she does.Just the way the DNA landed

15. x 2 ...I had one a few months back just as you describe ,,,,great dog just naturally slower ....same breeding as the others but never picked it up ...she now has a new zip code

16. I 100% agree Lt !

rick Watkins, Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  17. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

Two choices imo. Sell her or make 2 packs w more just like her

Circle4p, Gene Fedor and TJRANGER like this.
  18. Gene Fedor

Gene Fedor Well-Known Member

nj
    It is what it is. When I was breeding branko x northway line back in the 1990s, 99% where upper med to fast, it's in their blood, however I did one that was dead medium. Didn't understand it, gave her time, but never changed. At that point in my young beagling life I wanted the fastest dog possible. She was culled.

Hopefully your dog speeds it up for you, sounds like a good dog. If not let her go to a hunter that runs a diff line

Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  19. davemcc

davemcc Well-Known Member

70 yds is a long way behind. Id be surprised if soloing would help soloing will build confidence help them shoot off cks run with better line control and ect. By your post she has all this. And she can go Thur them on long cks. First make sure your other dogs aren’t just Herding the rabbit meaning cutting swinging or hitting the rabbit way out. Not saying there doing this but makes me wonder coming from that far back and going Thur them. If that’s not the case she may make you a good pup trainer. Good luck with her

wad, Csb and Circle4p like this.
  20. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

Why would you want her to quit running the line to chase dogs.Dont sound to me like she is too independent Just sounds like she doesn’t have as much foot.All you gonna do if you keep dragging her behind faster dogs is create man made faults.... If she is doing it right you need to solo and brace her with something similar.Be glad she is not just pulling up to the pack for the sake of pulling up.You aint got nothing in one that does that.JMO

wad, .410 beagler, duke1 and 9 others like this.