Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
Can someone please tell me if I can make any money with beagle/fiest pups? Mom is a excellent squirrel dog and dad is a awesome rabbit dog. Both full blooded w/papers. Thxs
I doubt you could make money on the pups being mixed breeds but who knows, you could call them Feagles and some registry would probably register them. You could promote them as old timey squirrel treeing rabbit dogs. Guarantee somebody will buy them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Circle4P,

Yes they did mix breed beagles and \ or misrepresented beagles or both and these hounds have found their way in the pedigrees of many a famous AKC Beagles of yesterday and today.

When I was a kid we hunted with some that were mostly beagle with a touch 1\4 to and 1\8 feist in them and we killed so many rabbits with those little dog you world not believe it if I told you how any. We also used to hunt with some that had a dash of basset in them and they were some kind of tough and could for ever more stroke a rabbit.

While we are at it here is some sobering well known facts known by all dog men who been around for a long time...this is stuff they never talk about but is very real and very true. These kinds of hounds are not in grade dogs only by a long shot.

LOTS of GOOD and Honest hounds men in the world….Also ….LOTS of them...….. Not…so good.

Hey dog men of all kinds have a Notorious Reputation of (NOT) being the most honest and forthright of men in the world when it comes to MONEY and (Ditching) selling their culls especially to the novice and or unsuspecting general public.

The real truth is.....Many...... of today’s AKC registered dogs have some Feist and Bassett and other breeds of dog in behind them way in the back and they know it and so do the old-timers and the AKC and that is just how it is like it or not…believe it or not…it does not change these facts any.

Also

Many pedigrees in the back of famous hounds and some up close are not at all like they are written down either by a long shot… NOPE!

Truth is if you haven’t been breeding your own line and got them from a very trusted source who they themselves have done the same thing and so on and on then..... actually...…. There is no way in this life what so ever you can really know or prove what is in......your hounds...in the back or up front without DNA testing…regardless of what you see recorded in your pedigree and that will only get you as far as the modern day hounds that that are still living or the dead ones that may have been DNA profiled correctly. So no way to really know.

That is why in more recent years the AKC now requires stud dogs DNA profiled after a set amount of sired litters so that they can get their arms around anymore known future REPORTED VIOLATION issues that are coming for sure and hopefully bring it under control before things get even more out of control like they have several times in the past.

Only God knows all the unknown and unreported ones.

It is hoped that this DNA profiling also acts as a deterrent which may drive some hound peddlers of registered dogs and puppies to be just a tad more honest than they have been in years past as to pedigree accuracy. It does NOT however protect the innocent from buying false advertised or misrepresented rejected hounds and or puppies from rejected parents or failed breeding’s that did not pan out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This old hunter about 90 ,I use to sit and talk to said his daddy had dogs that were bred with different types of dogs like your talking...
he had them trained to go hunt **** ..possum... squirrel..deer and rabbit... somehow he could tell them what to go for and they new what to do..
Can you imagine training a hound to do all that??!!

He called them meat dogs...cause
They were the reason for the dinner bell sounding off..

That would be pretty cool..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our Plotts run yote, cat, and bear. Our Beagles run rabbit and hare (same dang thing)... We've often talked about turning our big male Beagle loose on a cat but I'm afraid of him treeing every barn kitty while hunting Cottontails. The farmers wife may not want us back if that were to happen. Anyone ever moonlight your rabbit dog on *****?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts