Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hunt in Michigan, where the brush gets very thick. Does anyone use any kind of bells that help keep track of them in real thick cover? I already use garmin gps to keep track, just wondering if anyone has used bells to be extra safe, and if so what kind that doesn't get the dogs tied up on brush?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I’ve tried the sleigh bells. The little ball gets lost about half the time, they can clog up with snow too. They make small bells for bird dogs. Cut the nylon strap they come with off and use heavy zip ties to make a loop to put the collar through. Use two if ya wanna keep the bells. If they are too noisy , a piece of duct tape on a side or three will tone them down some.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Use that Garmin that is what it is used for, bells can get hung on brush and definitely fill with snow in winter. Only time I use a bell was on my first beagle who was semi silent. Everything mentioned above happened to me and my dog.
How does a bell make your dog extra safe? Use the Garmin. JMHO

·
Registered
896 Posts
We sale a few of the sleigh style bells. Guys believe the bells help keep coyotes away. I personally don’t run bells, only my Garmin. If a coyote is out hunting in the daytime, it’s hungry and a bell is only going to get its attention IMO. I’ve had coyotes come in on beagles and coonhounds, it doesn’t matter what you use. If they want to get to your hound, they will.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The cheapest bells I have found are the small cowbells at Tractor supply. i use these on my Beagles when out hunting them. I can hear where they are from a long distance while they are searching for rabbits. I know where my dogs are all the time. Also makes it safer for my hounds when hunting with those trigger happy hunters that want to shoot anything that moves. Wild game don't wear bells. These cow bells are heavy duty and priced right, will slip over the collar strap of most ecollars. They use to sell for $2.99, but have almost doubled in price since the corona virus started. They will last way longer then the ones sold as dog bells, much thicker and louder. I am not fortunate enough to afford one of the high dollar tracking systems.
\Open Link below to see the bells I use.

SpeeCo Cow Bell Long Distance 8 at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
View attachment 53473 View attachment 53473 View attachment 53474 I use these my feed store has them for 3 or 4 bucks. They don’t hang low enough to get hung up but if running in snow they will pack up with snow. Poor boys GPS some people don’t like em but I’m cheap and it works for me
These are the type I run as well. I’ve gotten them at tractor supply or eBay. I’ve never used GPS on a beagle. They actually come with a long strap or one that is real short. Never had an issue other than they will clog up in snow but we do t get enough usually to make that an issue.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I use the ones at Walmart for fishing. Cut a length of chain and a s hook the collar goes thru the chain link the s hook on it and the bell. They’re cheap and you can hear them a long way. We use them on pups in really thick stuff so we can keep up with them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts