Featured Barking at Dog Scent

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Fox, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Fox

Fox New Member

ky
    My 5 month old pup when separated from my older male dog will pick up his scent and bark until he finds him. Is there anyway to correct this problem without a training collar? I have a training collar just feel he's too young for it and will become collar shy. This is my first time raising and training a pup.

2. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Will the pup open on a rabbit?

3. Fox

Fox New Member

ky
  4. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    Do your collars have tone or vib?

5. Fox

Fox New Member

ky
  6. bear128

bear128 Active Member

Fox I got a young pup doing the same thing . I've being hitting the tone and telling her to stop . she does it at weird times mostly when first let out of the truck I've been chalking it up to just being excited

7. OKLAHOMA

OKLAHOMA Member

I have one down big the same thing I just vibe her and she stops I am never expecting a lot from a 6 month old and am just happy they are trying, the rest will come natural just keep feeding them tracks and let them be pups lol!

okiebeagler likes this.
  8. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Member

Tn
    I will give this a try, I think you first have to, what my friend Mr Dunn calls get him hooked. That means, he wants to run a rabbit more than anything. If your pup will run with your older dog and stay the whole race and not come out on a hard check, he is hooked. If he is in and out then be careful. If you get on him to hard he may quit it all. If he is started good then it is time to stop this with your collars. If he will trail another dog he will probably open on a deer or anything else. Solo time will help, that will take care of the dog tracking. Again you have to be the judge on how well started your pup is. This is only my option and not a pro dog trainer. Good luck.

9. mattdog

mattdog Member

WV
    could it be possible that the pup finds himself alone and is just seeking the other dog? I think I would try some solo time and let him work on gaining confidence. It may just be insecurity, not wanting to be left behind in the woods.

IndianaBeagler likes this.
  10. Tradawg

Tradawg Member

I have a male a little over a year that will whine while looking for me. Like mattdog says I think it’s more of a insecurity issue more than anything. I use to get tired of my male breaking off a Rabbit trail to come look for me so I would hide from him only to watch him go crazy running and sniffing for me if he really couldn’t find me he would end up back at the truck. The pup is young. I wouldn’t worry about it. I think eventually he will get over it once he gets hunted over for a full season with other dogs. Also more tracks will help. Pups need to be pups!!! You got to have patience and long suffering with them.

11. Lots of pups dog track.Not a big deal unless it gets worse as you give them more tracks.Solo time helps him figure it out.Never seen one track himself.

12. This is a bigger problem than some of you may think. I've discovered adult dogs recently that will dog trail. 2 years old and the owner didn't have a clue. This is a lack of intelligence along with back tracking and rerunning the line. Have talked with successful field trial kennels that don't see these faults as problematic and believe it can be corrected. I hope I'm not the only one that culls for these fault. Just imagine if everyone is "breaking" these faults how strong these traits are getting bred into the genes?

Pearl Flats and PurvisBeagles like this.
  13. jdwest4

jdwest4 Member

I wouldn't use shock on a dog that young learning. A lot of my good dogs start off doing that when young. They will grow out of it. If not shock them later on. While they are learning I would just let it go

14. LGM

LGM Member

Fox, I feel your pain! Lol
    I have the exact same issue with a pup that I’m currently working with to Feild trial with this up coming derby season.
    I am fortunate to have a “ friend” that has been training Feild trial dogs for years. This man wins or places every single Feild Trial that I go to. In other words ; his opinion carries a little more “ weight” with me than my other buddies, and after me asking him this exact question, this is what he told me; The collars that I use can be set at all different levels and he says I’m too conservative with mine. Lol
    If a dog has an issue that will keep him/her from being successful at the trials but shows enough talent in other aspects to possibly be successful; then I have to make a decision. Either I put full effort into “ fixing” this issue or I move on to a different individual.
    I raise my own pups and I would like to give each , every chance I can to learn and improve. So with that being said I send the pups with him and pay the fee of $40 a week and let him do it. Lol
    He has fixed one other pup for me in the past lol
    But he did “ fix” it.

smokedawg likes this.
  15. Sometimes a young unstarted pup will open on dog scent, a rat, a squirrel, or whatever. I wont correct one with an e collar for that until they are well started and circling rabbits fairly well as I always worried i'd burn the hunt out of em before it ever got started. I've owned different bloodlines over the years and some lines produce more dog trackers than others. I stop them with the e collar but only after they are hooked on rabbits. I've found through my experiences that most would stop dog tracking as soon as they were corrected with the e collar. The ones that take more than a time or two to learn not to open on a dog track usually were bad about opening on anything and everything and were not worth my time. All dogs follow scent of the others to find each other and they follow our tracks also to get up with us but they have enough sense not to open on it. I've seen a lost young dog burn his owners track up back to the truck, sound like he was burning up a swamper track.

16. Well here’s my opinion. I’ve been a rabbit hunter for over 30 years. I try not to start my young pups with old dogs. It’s the easiest way I know but think about it. Have you ever seen dogs that looks pretty good with a pack but take them by their self.......... runs back and forth up and down the paths and roads. They are looking for another dog. This comes from a dog not being ran soloed. I like to start my pups with their litter mates. They all progress together. Yeah you may have one doing better than others ect but all of them are learning together. A pups learns little off a older dog other than just trying to keep up with it to start out. So you take a young pup that is just trying to keep up with the old dog yes if it gets turned around and looses contact with the old dogs it’s primary thing is to find the old dog not you or a rabbit it’s mind goes directly on where did he go so if he can’t see it he will smell for him. That’s where you start having problems with young dogs running dog track. And if not corrected will get worse. I seen grown dogs do it from habit. I’m no beagle expert but I do know Beagles. Every dog isn’t the same I have seen dogs started with old dogs and do fine but if not soled will always look better with a dog leading it. That’s why most of the time when you are trying a dog they always want to drop more than the one you are trying. All Beagles do better as a team but I like a dog that can do it by its self also. Sorry so long of post I was just setting here nothing on tv bored figure I would give my two cents worth. All have a great night and Happy beagling

17. John Taylor

John Taylor Active Member

Maturity, Maturity, Maturity!!!! Once they are running rabbit well they should quit barking dog, or any thing else they track. Some do get spoiled and do have that I don't want to be along problem. Maturity sometimes takes care of it and some just never get out of it if left to do it. I have no problem using the ecollar to nick them and tell them to shut up. A smart one will catch on quick and stop it. If they don't stop they lack intelligence and probably never make a dog worth while keeping. When I was younger I would not keep a dog with that issue, not even a young pup. I was way more critical then now. I gave away some that turned out to be good dogs. At least I was told. Now that I'm older I must of turned soft and try to correct issues. Sometimes successful, more times not. If the dog shows talent it is worth trying. If the dog has been given a lot of rabbit tracks and only shows it needs that other dog, as someone else posted cannot run a rabbit without another you are wasting your time. A me to dog isn't needed in a pack. With that said, a dog that doesn't get very much front end isn't necessarily a me to dog. A dog that runs the middle of the pack or even the rear can be giving as much or more to the pack as a front runner that makes mistakes. That middle of the pack dog which isn't a me to dog that doesn't need that front dog to run one is usually a big asset. It will turn the line that the front runners over ran, put the brakes on when they notice scent stopped and will usually work the check and get the pack back on the line and going again. These are not dog trackers, just easier dogs that run the line.

Oh, well I got off track again and need to get toned or nicked myself, to shut me up !!!!!!!! and get me back on the line!!!

LGM likes this.
  18. This is very common and normal for pups. I don't put the training collar on their necks until I'm ready to start gunning them for real. I use my voice to correct and show affection for reward they are pups. Time in the field running them is the very best thing you can ever give any hound. Lots of time pounding them will usually clear up any issues not bred in. Run them with older smooth hounds that can steadily pound for hours. Run them for hours at a time. Run them every day even at night after work and family. Get up before work and run them. Shoot a rabbit over them and let them trail up to it. Spending time with them in the field Running them until you run the hair off of them and until they can't stand up several times a week will make them hounds if they have it in them. Be committed. It will be good for you too. You will learn the answers to all your questions. Most hounds people own are not run nearly enough in their lifetime. An average dog with a ton of running will shock you against a very talented hound with average running. Run them however works for you but run them and run them a lot run them long and very often. You and your hounds will get out what you put in and you will learn to recognize what is worth your commitment and what is not.The cream will rise to the top in you as a hounds man and your hounds that become rabbit dogs.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  19. Wilbur

Wilbur Member

Excellent post huguejm!