Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea for a feeder that would put out only the correct amount of food daily, even if it’s something that’s homemade. Give me some ideas guys.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have heavy duty rubber pails that I attach to the fence as well, I also wrap wire around the pail and attach to the fence.
What I really hate is the young dogs chewing the pails apart. In the winter if the water freezes I can pound on the outside to knock the ice out.
I use stainless steel when there is no freezing going on. JMO

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been using the "Quickfeed" horse feeder for 6 years now with no breakdowns. They are expensive for no more than it is but awesome performance. I ordered dbl outlet feeders with 1/2 cup increment dispensing. You can set the times and amounts to your pleasure. I think even though they say its fine to use outside I would install inside only in constant temp. so no condensation or mold growth. My dog boxes are in the garage with a door to the outside run. I put the feeders above with a 2" conduit down into a mounted stainless loaf pan below. Absolutely no issues in 6 years. Fantastic as I can't get to the dogs daily. Holds about 3 weeks of food in hopper. I then keep a large water trough in the box also as it then doesnt freeze or get nasty growth etc. The dog box is split in two with a nest on 1 side and the food and water and door to outside on the other.
Actually, I do have 1 of the food bowls mounted on nest side so when it dispenses to 2 dogs there is the wood divider between them to control any issues.
I'll try and figure out how to upload some pictures. Its a 3rd gen design and wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
By this 3rd generation design---- sloped the concrete out the dog door for easy washout. Switched to aluminum side hinged dog doors. Can go on vacation about 10 days before water is needed.
The stainless 1/4 size pans worked the best for the dog bowls. Drilled a 1/4" hole at lowest point for washout and drainage of those.
All the dividers between all the boxes are removeable.

About the only issue I've had is some mold growth in Aug / Sept high humidity months. Purina food seems to hold up the best--- some brands mold up right away. Best to use small kibble and no shredded or unusual shapes. I just keep the feeders only a 1/4 full during those hot humid months for easy wipe out of bin.

Hilarious to watch the dogs as it beeps to start dispensing food. They each cock their head listening and waiting by their bowl.

The feeder has a battery backup to keep the setting in case of a power outage but a reset button must be hit to put it back on line after the outage.

Rubber horse mats on dog nest floor for winter months.

6 yrs with these feeders and going strong-- knock on wood.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've been using the "Quickfeed" horse feeder for 6 years now with no breakdowns. They are expensive for no more than it is but awesome performance. I ordered dbl outlet feeders with 1/2 cup increment dispensing. You can set the times and amounts to your pleasure. I think even though they say its fine to use outside I would install inside only in constant temp. so no condensation or mold growth. My dog boxes are in the garage with a door to the outside run. I put the feeders above with a 2" conduit down into a mounted stainless loaf pan below. Absolutely no issues in 6 years. Fantastic as I can't get to the dogs daily. Holds about 3 weeks of food in hopper. I then keep a large water trough in the box also as it then doesnt freeze or get nasty growth etc. The dog box is split in two with a nest on 1 side and the food and water and door to outside on the other.
Actually, I do have 1 of the food bowls mounted on nest side so when it dispenses to 2 dogs there is the wood divider between them to control any issues.
I'll try and figure out how to upload some pictures. Its a 3rd gen design and wouldn't change a thing.
Nice set up, do pups or the dogs in the kennel chew on the 2' conduit?
I like what you have done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where did you get the dog doors?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Used the plastic that came with the feeders on top and transitioned to the metal in the box and nothing chews on the steel at all.

The dog doors are available at several supply houses and I think amazon too. They are actually sold by a company from Indiana. Chew proof which is great as the original plastic ones didn't fair well with pups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts